Forums > Queen - General Discussion > IT'S FINALLY HERE....THE BEST LIVE ROCK ALBUM VOTE OF ALL-TIME!

forum rss feed
Author

sandrativadar user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddie is love of my life
sandrativadar

add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So many great bands, so many great live performances, but which live album is THE BEST OF ALL-TIME?
You, the fans from all over the world, will decide.
Be a part of this exciting historic vote!

Now the No.1 is Queen Live at Wembley !!!!

Please vote!!!!!!!
http://votenumber1.com/votebestlivealbum.html

Sandra /Hungary
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that poll isn't worth shit because the site already has a demographic bias. The majority of people on that site Queen fans, because of the site's over-propagation on Queen fansites. Not that I'm dissing Live at Wembley, I'm just saying that the votes don't matter shit.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
ana_libra user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frampton Comes Alive is the biggest selling live double LP of all time...

Wembley is great, but isn't it a bit of a exaggeration to say it's no.1? Where is Toto? They've always sounded brilliant live..

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2946 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say that of all their live albums, Rock Montreal is the best.  Audio wise it sounds great, it has a more interesting set than the Magic Tour, and has probably fewer overdubs than most of their live stuff.  Having said that, Live Killers is an iconic Queen live album as it was the first real record of their shows, especially as it was such a great set around that time too, and many fans of rock music, whether they be Queen diehards or not, will have been brought up on that album.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2147 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen is my favourite band and also my favourite live band. BUT, I would not vote for a Queen live album because I believe the ultimate Queen live release still has to happen. I would vote for Hammy'79 though;-) But that still hasn't happened. I totally adore Queen live in the 80's but the best Queen live album has to be one from the seventies because that was when they were truly at their peak, combining musical brilliance and an unmatched stage presentation(and as stated above Hammy'79 is a great example but idealiter they would release a show from each tour:-).

on my way up
LucTonnerre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LIVE AT WEMBLEY is actually the only CD that I bought and sold again. I just can't listen to it. Crappy setlist, Mercury not reaching the high notes anymore.LIVE KILLERS is Queen at their peak. Great set, great sound and Mercury singing better than ever.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8670 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LucTonnerre wrote:

LIVE AT WEMBLEY is actually the only CD that I bought and sold again. I just can't listen to it. Crappy setlist, Mercury not reaching the high notes anymore.LIVE KILLERS is Queen at their peak. Great set, great sound and Mercury singing better than ever.

Live Killers and great sound in the same sentence? Joke of the century.

Killed by drones.
Band Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LIVE AT THE BOWL ABSOLUTE MONSTER OF A PERFORMANCE.

BEST VERSIONS: HERO/WWRY FAST, DRAGON ATTACK, FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS, NOW IM HERE, SOMEBODY TO LOVE, SO MANY HIGHLIGHTS IN ONE CONCERT EVEN STAYING POWER, BACK CHAT.

NO CONTEST PEOPS THIS IS THE BEST! BETTER SETLIST THAN MONTREAL WHICH IS ALSO AN IMMENSE PERFORMANCE.

I AGREE LIVE AT WEMBLEY MERCURY'S VOICE WAS SHOT, PROBABLY COMBINATION OF A  COLD/FATIGUE AND OH YES THE CIGGIES. STILL INFINITELY BETTER THAN ONE MR RODGERS.
I WISHED THEY HAD PLAYED LED ZEP'S IMMIGRANT SONG AT WEMBLEY AS THEY DID IN BERLIN RATHER THAN TUTTI FRUTTI, MAYBE WITH ROGER DOING THE AAHS! INSTEAD OF FREDDIE.

Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would vote for Live Killers, or Rock Montreal before I ever voted for Wembley

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6338 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ana_libra wrote:

Frampton Comes Alive is the biggest selling live double LP of all time...

Wembley is great, but isn't it a bit of a exaggeration to say it's no.1? Where is Toto? They've always sounded brilliant live..

I was thinking of mentioning Frampton as well, but you beat me to it.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18460 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As much as we all love Queen here, can it be argued that no currently released Queen live album belongs in any top 10 as long as these grand and/or influential albums are in the picture.. ?

The Who - Live At Leeds
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
Rush - Exit Stage Left
Supertramp - Paris
Kiss - Alive
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You Got It
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

However, after Queen releases something from the 70s other than Live Killers, that certainly may change.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
reyes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Guys: YES YES YES: "LIVE AT WEMBLEY 86":  it´s the BEST LIVE ALBUM OF HISTORY!!!!!!!

LU!!!!!

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

As much as we all love Queen here, can it be argued that no currently released Queen live album belongs in any top 10 as long as these grand and/or influential albums are in the picture.. ?

The Who - Live At Leeds
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Rush - Exit Stage Left
Supertramp - Paris
Kiss - Alive
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You Got It
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

However, after Queen releases something from the 70s other than Live Killers, that certainly may change.

Yeah, Queen should follow the template of Led Zeppelin... but they won't release anything from the 70's because there are lots of songs on the setlists the current generation of their fans are definitely unaware of(Ogre Battle, Now I'm Here, Let Me Entertain You, etc.)

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 09, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think these polls make much, if any, sense. The proposal itself is preposterous: "What's the best live album of all time"? Who in his right mind can give an answer to this? The only possible answer comes from the fan base of each group, but then this is not that helpful in terms of evaluating the quality of the performances.

Kidding around with the idea of the best decade in the history of music, a quite funny thread, I answered "Neil Young". 

Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" is considered one of popular music greatest albums by many maganizes and stuff. His "Time Fades Away" went gold, became quite legendary, even though it took years to be released on CD. All these, not to mention "Live Rust" and his "Unplugged", peaked at least about 20 in the charts. 

One will rightly say: "Ah, Yara, and then there's Allman's Brothers "At Filmore East", one of the greatest popular music albums ever". And I'd agree with that too. 

Then comes one and says: "Oh, how dare you don't mention Stones' Get Yer Ya Ya's Out? Are you out of your mind?", and I'd say: yes, you're right, quite a remarkable album. 

Other guy, more bluntly, says: "Yara, you cunt, what about James Brown's Live at the Apollo or B.B King's live at the regal? Just because they were black?". And I'd agree that those became quite legendary too and are remarkable in their own way and that I certainly don't have anything against black people, which would bring my questioner to Jimi Hendrix's Woodstock and Band of Gypsis - and I'd say all right, you're spot on, who am I to question Hendrix? I love both albums.

Then comes a woman, she feels she's not well-represented, and says: "You bitch, Yara, don't you remember Janis Joplin's at her peak in Live at Winterland, 1968?", and I'd say: right, it's thrilling, no doubt. 

Then come Romeo, and he's moaning: "You bastard, you forgot the very greatest live presentation ever, Dylan's concert at Albert Hall, 1966, legendary while unofficial and even more after it became an official release". 

And I'd say: "Yes, who can top Dylan at Newport or Albert Hall? It's history in the making". 

By the way, one would say, "do you know a music style called "Jazz", which is also popular music, isn't it? How dare you fail to mention Coltrane & Monk's playing together at the Carnegie?". 

"Oh, yes, my dear", I'd say, "this is in fact one of my favorite live albums". 

Then would the lady come back and say: "Well, and you, for sure, won't recognize Aretha's live at Filmore or Amazing Grace as relevant?", and yes, I'd say, very relevant indeed, infectious listening.

After being trashed by all kinds of people coming with great arguments to counter my defense of Wembley, I'd reply: "But, look at all this discussion, does it make any sense?", and then I'd get philosophical, yes, and I'd quote Cicero when he says that when different works of art attain such a level of excellence it's pointless to make comparisons - they're all the best in their own way. "I'm not willing to compare Mozart and Beethoven, it's nonsense", I'd say.  

BUT, that being said, for sure a line can be traced when it comes to albums that certainly DO NOT attain such level of excellence: I'm afraid Wembley may be there. : (( Sadly.

Now, I could, yes, build an argument for Milton Keynes, in many ways: it encompasses all kinds of music, the performance is breathtaking and Brian's and Roger's adaptation of Action This Day, Staying Power, Back Chat and so on to the stage must be one of the most impressive musical achivements made by Queen. Roger's drumming is divine there, just wonderful, and Brian guitar playing is smooth, powerful and disarmingly creative. Freddie was indeed on fire, and taking into account that it's a live album from 1982 already encompassing exciting, beautiful funk, R&B and Rock and Roll fusion, thanks not only to Freddie's gorgeous performance, no, but to the creativity of the band, I think a case could be made for the nomination of this one, if for no other reason because it brought a whole music trend to stage and then helped consolidate part of what became, for better or for worse, the most influencial music styles to come - Queen's Milton Keynes antecipates Michael Jackson's sound and makes it happen on stage with a whole lot of power and energy.

So: being the question absurd, I'd say that an argument could be made for enhancing the status of Queen's performance at MK among the finest live albums - I think there's no single best live album ever, but a bunch of impressive achievements which can't really be compared.

Then, maybe, Queen's original, inovating approach to Rock and Roll at Milton Keynes could be quoted among the finest ones. :)))     

Yara
pat10 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 01:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeh live at wembley 86 will do for me awesome.

caine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am a huge Queen fan...bigger than most.  However, The Who's Live At Leeds is hands down the best live album ever.

musicmoon
tugsbooch user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My personal Top 10 are:

The Who - Live At Leeds
UFO - Strangers In The Night
Rush - All The Worlds A Stage
Rush - Live In Rio
Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes - Live At The Greek
KISS - Alive
Tesla - Unplugged

and finally, my favorite Queen Live Cd's are both bootlegs. One I have is from the Golden Greens Hyppodrome in London on April 21st 1974, the other is from the Hammersmith Odeon on Christmas of 1975.

If I had to tag any as my fave, it would be The Who Live At Leeds as it was the 1st album I bought of a live performance. Other than that the others are in no particular order and there are many I like that aren't even on here.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2147 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure that Queen has a show in their archive that can rival with some of the albums others mention in this topic. The only thing they have to do is release it!

If they really work on something like Earls Court '77 it could be awesome too(I'd like to hear the second night in full!)

on my way up
The Real Wizard

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

they won't release anything from the 70's because there are lots of songs on the setlists the current generation of their fans are definitely unaware of(Ogre Battle, Now I'm Here, Let Me Entertain You, etc.)

Then what better way to introduce the songs than with a highly-promoted brand new DVD of them in their 70s prime?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

The Real Wizard

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tugsbooch wrote:

One I have is from the Golden Greens Hyppodrome in London on April 21st 1974

That should be September 13, 1973... some of those bootlegs had the wrong date.  Great show though!  Which bootleg do you have in particular?