Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Cosmos Rocks gets better with age.

forum rss feed
Author

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After recently hearing the album for the first time in 2 months roughly, I notice that it's sounding better and that my dissapointment clouded the fact that it has ten or so tracks that are classic at least in some way about them. 

I think this album will go on as an underrated album that was lesser Queen, but better than most all else.  Guns N' Roses whipped them, AC/DC did just as good, but nothing else in '08 matched Cosmoas Rocks.

Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes you´re right. However, I personally don´t think the album is great. in my mind it´s a ok album with one or two great songs, one or two downright shitty and the rest OK. First time I heard it was like: WHAT? In my mind it was going to sound like a Brian May/The Cross fusion. But it has aged well...But it will never be my 1st pick when listening to a "Queen" album.

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops, excuse the blank post - still getting used to this!  Yeah, it definately improved with age.  Q+PR works surprisingly well live, I was disappointed that so much of the Cosmos really doesn't sound much like the 'real' Queen.  It's a great album, just not as good as their previous stuff - then again, that's a fairly high standard to compare anything to! [img=/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif][/img]

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 550 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL, does it?

I bought it, listened to it.... and that was it.....

Should i find the cd again?? And dare to listen to it a second time??

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 620 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's getting better with age. It's rottening faster every day.

mings d**k user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are 3 or 4 gems in there, the rest just average

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen wrote:

catqueen wrote:

Well .....Paul Rodgers ISN'T the man to sing our songs ....deny it .....your loss !

So, I'm enjoying a great album, I've fond memories of two amazing gigs... and that's my loss?

I'd say if I was a bitter, closed-minded man, locked in the past, unable to accept things they are out of a misguided sense of loyalty - or should I say, idol worship...

THAT would be a loss indeed.

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 20:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen wrote:

I take it you're talking about me ? I've seen them too live in 2005 - it was ok.
Till they came up with a crappy album ....we've been expecting something else ,now didn't you ?
Then the tour takes off, with the same setlists all over again , 3 new songs at max
And what are we left with ? North America won't be toured anymore , maybe they finally realised
it just doesn't work like that ......

I'm talking about hordes of self-proclaimed fans who think the band owes them something - namely, to stay the same and produce same old hits for 20 years, or disband and throw their huge musical talent to the dogs.

And, well, yes, I believe that includes you.

I'd appreciate you don't say "we" when you really mean "I". I didn't make any expectations based on what I imagine the band owes me. I accepted things change, Freddie is sadly gone and Brian and Roger picked a partner based on how they, the artists, felt.

I listened to TCR open-minded. I disliked some things, like the overall quality of lyrics. I missed an expert bass player to match other instruments. Then again, I loved the fresh sound, the energy, the fun. It's all great classic mainstream hard rock with flashes of blues, jazz, soul, folk, even big beat, a rollercoaster of great music and emotions. I honestly can't point to a track and say "I don't like this." Even We Believe, my least favorite track, has more balls than the usual "save the world" fare; it has the balls to talk about religious conservatism, for example.

Now, I'm getting seriously sick of all this negativity, to the point I'm the one who's bitter and offensive. It's just so unfair someone's creative work isn't getting the appreciation it deserves because people get tangled up in the past. It's actually always been a problem with Queen. They were always pushing the limit, against the critics, against the norms, and hordes of spoiled fans and mean reviewers were pissing on everything new and different they tried. Every new album they unfavorably compared to previous ones as over the top, or too weird, or a sell-out. Freddie was called the worst names because the music business wouldn't suffer a sexual and ethnic minority on the top of the rock world. And now, when he's gone, too bad, it isn't Queen everyone suddenly profess they loved.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 09, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cosmoans Rockens is boring fart-type music.

Attachment: 200938123845432.jpg 101 KB
This has been downloaded 25 time(s).

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen: In the last half of the tour 6 songs of the album were played [img=/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif][/img] and all worked amazingly well (except time to shine and warboys.. wich was descarted before a few tries)

Queen rocks!
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1408 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Couldn't agree more with you, P-Straker!

Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

.........Queen. They were always pushing the limit, against the critics, against the norms, and hordes of spoiled fans and mean reviewers were pissing on everything new and different they tried. Every new album they unfavorably compared to previous ones as over the top, or too weird, or a sell-out. Freddie was called the worst names because the music business wouldn't suffer a sexual and ethnic minority on the top of the rock world. And now, when he's gone, too bad, it isn't Queen everyone suddenly profess they loved.

That's all well and good.  Doesn't stop "TCR" from being well beneath their abilities.

Queen were a lot of things, as you point out.  One thing they weren't was BLAND.

"TCR" is bland, AOR nonsense, IMHO, and the majority of critics it seems.  Don't know what the public thought of it because they didn't buy it.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 02:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

The Cosmos Rocks gets better with age.

It's the same record you bought six months ago.  Five months.  Whatever.

The point is, no it didn't get any better... 
I'm going to use a pretty shoddy analogy here, but when I first saw Indiana Jones 4 in the theater I thought it was decent but inherently stupid.  The second time I saw it (this was on DVD), it was better than I remembered. 
Then after a while I saw it again, it was worse than ever.  Not complete shit, of course, but really too silly for it's own good.

As far as I know, I watched the same movie on all three occasions.  The difference?  My expectations, of course.  You'd be surprised how much that someone's expectations can impact on their perception of a piece of art; if you can call "The Cosmos Rocks" or Indiana Jones 'art'.

I find a lot of unnecessary extremes emanating from people who choose to try and review or critique "The Cosmos Rocks" album.  It can be fun to watch, but ultimately it's a waste of energy...  the album was not THAT bad.  I didn't think it was very good, but really - the worst you can say about it is that it's middle of the road.  At least it wasn't as highly compressed as "Memory Almost Full" (Macca should seriously question his fucking judgement there ... ) and at least the album (in select moments only, of course) harkened back to the band whose name it was invoking on the cover.  Might've been bland, but it's not the musical apocalypse that some folks would have us believe...  it's just an album.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've tried telling people it was a good album but no.  Everyone thinks Paul sucks so it couldn't possibly a good album :P

jadedlady user not visiting Queenzone.com
jadedlady
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen wrote:

Well it's actually VERY simple .....if it would be judged by just the music .... it's ok-ish , Not really Queen but ok let's for once pretend it's supposed to be a new band ... MUSIC 8/10 is reasonable ?

Ok now we've come to the lyrics .... I am sorry , but there's virtually NOTHING that EVEN interrests me ....
Beside that ...the lyrics "feel" very simple ...very boring at times ....

Now we've come to the last phase ...the deliverance of the vocals and instruments ....
Well, from a technical point of view Paul R might be a good singer - nothing more nothing less!
But really though ...IS this meant to be a Paul Rodgers album ??? I become very bored after listening the first 5 tracks. I kept hoping for these Queen-ish moments ...a Brian-vocal, a Roger vocal ...then combined ????
Where was that ? I kept hoping to hear Brian on his Red Special ...like NEVER before , it DIDN'T happen !
Where has Roger been writing his songs lately ? In the waitingroom by the doctor ? grocerystore ?
WHERE IS IT ??????????? NOT ON TCR as far as I am concerned!

Nothing ever interests you does it, or makes you content does it?

It's not the old Queen, it's why it is called Queen + Paul Rodgers. Simple.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen wrote:

let's for once pretend it's supposed to be a new band ... MUSIC 8/10 is reasonable ?

I don't know anything about music reviews but I gotta say, if my new band put out an album and people were giving it 8/10, I'd be thrilled ...

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

thequeen wrote:

let's for once pretend it's supposed to be a new band ... MUSIC 8/10 is reasonable ?

I don't know anything about music reviews but I gotta say, if my new band put out an album and people were giving it 8/10, I'd be thrilled ...

I would be too. As long as people like our music, and our music is selling at the very least decently, depending how well it's promoted (I personally don't care about getting hyped up about chart positions . . .  I find music gets judged too easily by some people based on chart positions/unit sales . . . [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img])

inu-liger

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

thequeen wrote:

I would be too. As long as people like our music, and our music is selling at the very least decently, depending how well it's promoted (I personally don't care about getting hyped up about chart positions . . .  I find music gets judged too easily by some people based on chart positions/unit sales . . . [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img])

inu-liger

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen wrote:

inu-liger wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

thequeen wrote:

you're fast .... too fast

Thanks for the compliments on my drumming skills. I can certainly go fast....heck, even faster than the speedy parts you can hear on "Bootie" these days! :-)   (my double-kicking skills got a lot better recently)
Just kinda sucks the bass guitar was out of tune during a small portion of the Urban Lounge show we did last July. . . coulda had a lot more material uploaded on our website's audio player :-(