Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie knew he had HIV in 1984?

forum rss feed
Author

MercuryAngel209 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe Freddie knew he had HIV for a long time before he was finally tested.  He may of been diagnosed with AIDs by 1986.  After Live Aid, Brian May, and the rest of the band, including Freddie were in the studio finishing their Magic Album.  When time for touring came around, Freddie said he had had enough of touring and wanted to make it their last stretch on the touring circuit.  He was adamant about it and put his foot down when Brian May pressed him as to why he was giving up on the touring part of Queen.  Freddie just said he had enough.  Inside, however, although Im no Freddie insider(in his close circle of friends.), Freddie was exhausted.  He had just begun a serious relationship with Jim, that would last until he died.  He wanted to relax a bit.  Take stock of life and enjoy his time out of the press and spotlight.  Freddie most likely knew he had something.  He knew of flight attendents and bartenders at gay clubs he had one night stands with die from a disease that he thought was at first contracted as an inhalant from cocaine use.  He had officially been tested in 1987 and diagnosed with full blown AIDS.  At the time the drugs were years away from success.  They were in their infancy and terrible side effects occured, such as weight gain, nausea, etc.  Freddie knew that he contracted AIDS from having multiple partners.  He did not blame Jim.  Jim, most likely got HIV from Freddie.  In the early 80s, Freddie, Kenny Everett, a spaniard name Pepe and a russian solider named Nicolai, had a sexual foursome for a long time.  Nicolai, is said to be the person who infected all of them and was the first to die.  Nicolai was rampantlly permiscuous.  I am sick of people here blaming Jim for infecting Freddie.  No one knows the true orgin of how Freddie became infected, nor who gave it to him.  I wanted to point out in one of the threads, one person said that Mary said that Jim gave Freddie HIV.  That is completely a lie.  Mary to this day has never spoken of the orgin of Freddie's HIV/AIDS.  She and Jim may both have been at odds and still are to this day.  However, Mary has never betrayed Freddie's confidence and told anything about Freddie that others already knew themselves.  Im not saying Mary was always nice to Jim about things before and after Freddie's death.  But I do believe out of everyone, it is Mary who truly cared about Freddie. I  have read Jim's book.  I found it to be, in my opinion very real and honest.  However, either Jim was not very affectionate or was closed to Freddie at times, because, I wished he would have shown his love to Freddie more openly, the way Freddie deserved to be loved.  I think in the end Freddie made the right decision and left his money and estate to Mary because he felt she would be the one to perserve it in a way he would have wanted.  Freddie was a wonderful musical genius, the likes of will never be seen again.  He left an indelible mark on many who loved him so much.  We all secretly hope he is looking from beyond to really see how incredible he was to so many.  I do believe he didnt know how much he was loved and how people really did love him not just for how he made them feel by his musical genius but by the kindly generosity and thoughtfulness he showed to countless names and faces who benefitted from a look, a smile and even of touch of the true king of Queen.

new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I too have read Jims book and found it to be an interesting read. I'm not sure Freddie would have wanted the world to know of his last words etc but who knows.

With regards the who infected who thing i guess we can only take Jim Huttons word for it. I think the reason people are suspicious of Jim is the fact that he is still alive today and never developed full blown aids. I realise that this is something genetic with jim which means he will not develop full bllown aids. It is mildly suspicious that Jim waited to so long to be tested after Freddie was diagnosed given that they were lovers and did not practice safe sex. Was it because he knew he was already HIV positive and had perhaps infected Freddie himself? We will never know but I think the suspicion will always be there rightly or wrongly.


pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Peter Freestone he knew it since 1988 if I remember correctly


Raffy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Raffy
Bohemian: 444 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie knew he had HIV in March/April 1987 but according to my opinion he was infected back in 1982/'83 'cause the virus incubation could last between a period of 5-10 years and now more than 20 years with the new medicines (so maybe he was sieropositive 'till 86 and developed AIDS later that year). Although I think that he was already conscious of being ill during the Magic Tour era. I doubt the fact that he suspect to be ill before that period...

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



pittrek wrote:

According to Peter Freestone he knew it since 1988 if I remember correctly



Peter Freestone's book doesn't mention when Freddie got it. Peter said Freddie told him about it in 1989.






"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



new one wrote:

I too have read Jims book and found it to be an interesting read. I'm not sure Freddie would have wanted the world to know of his last words etc but who knows.

With regards the who infected who thing i guess we can only take Jim Huttons word for it. I think the reason people are suspicious of Jim is the fact that he is still alive today and never developed full blown aids. I realise that this is something genetic with jim which means he will not develop full bllown aids. It is mildly suspicious that Jim waited to so long to be tested after Freddie was diagnosed given that they were lovers and did not practice safe sex. Was it because he knew he was already HIV positive and had perhaps infected Freddie himself? We will never know but I think the suspicion will always be there rightly or wrongly.

I guess he didn't take a test for years because he knew it was very probable he had HIV and didn't feel like getting a confirmation?.  I mean, what for?.
I think the HIV test of the time as not very reliable and that it took weeks to get the result and then weeks for the confirmation (someone correct me if I'm wrong...).  So maybe he didn't want to go through all that...

It does seem far more likely that it was Freddie who infected Jim and not the other way around.

In any case, it's just a sad accident... It's so absurd when you see people wishing horrible things to whoever infected Freddie.  They don't seem to consider that freddie probably infected many people.



"All you need is love"
vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



MercuryAngel209 wrote:

In the early 80s, Freddie, Kenny Everett, a spaniard name Pepe and a russian solider named Nicolai, had a sexual foursome for a long time.  Nicolai, is said to be the person who infected all of them and was the first to die.  Nicolai was rampantlly permiscuous.  I am sick of people here blaming Jim for infecting Freddie.  No one knows the true orgin of how Freddie became infected, nor who gave it to him. 

There's a huge contradiction here.

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 17:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As Freddie had a promiscuous life may be he wasn´t even sure who infected him.


Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Crisstti wrote:







new one wrote:



I too have read Jims book and found it to be an interesting read. I'm not sure Freddie would have wanted the world to know of his last words etc but who knows.

With regards the who infected who thing i guess we can only take Jim Huttons word for it. I think the reason people are suspicious of Jim is the fact that he is still alive today and never developed full blown aids. I realise that this is something genetic with jim which means he will not develop full bllown aids. It is mildly suspicious that Jim waited to so long to be tested after Freddie was diagnosed given that they were lovers and did not practice safe sex. Was it because he knew he was already HIV positive and had perhaps infected Freddie himself? We will never know but I think the suspicion will always be there rightly or wrongly.


I guess he didn't take a test for years because he knew it was very probable he had HIV and didn't feel like getting a confirmation?.  I mean, what for?.
I think the HIV test of the time as not very reliable and that it took weeks to get the result and then weeks for the confirmation (someone correct me if I'm wrong...).  So maybe he didn't want to go through all that...

It does seem far more likely that it was Freddie who infected Jim and not the other way around.

In any case, it's just a sad accident... It's so absurd when you see people wishing horrible things to whoever infected Freddie.  They don't seem to consider that freddie probably infected many people.

It could indeed be the case that Jim Hutton didn't want to go through the process infact thats pretty much what he says in his book and that he didn't want to upset Freddie any further. I was not actually saying that I believe Jim infected Freddie, I take him at his word that it was infact the other way round. I was just offering a possible explanation to the thread starter who was wondering why some queen fans blame Jim for Freddies death. I just think the whole episode is a terrible tragedy that nobody should have to go through regardless of their sexuality or sex drive.







thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While I have no idea whatsoever when Freddie found out he was carrying HIV, one could pretty safely surmise that he did not know in 1984.

What *is* known is that Freddie's farewells at the end of concerts had become much more sincere by the middle of the Magic Tour, and at the Knebworth gig, there's evidence that the entire band knew it would be their last show together. Freddie had, I believe, been hinting all year that he wasn't planning on touring again afterwards, and at the Madrid show, he finally came out and told the band that he was done touring after Knebworth. Still, he may not have known that he was carrying HIV yet--the man had been wrapped in the cycle of album-tour-album-tour for almost 15 years by that point, as had the rest of the band, and perhaps he'd just finally had enough of prancing around a stage.

My thoughts on the subject? I'd wager that Freddie was acutely aware of the likely possibility that he was infected by the time of the Magic Tour, and sometime between the first 1986 Munich show and the end of that tour, he got test results back confirming his fears.



"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
jadedlady user not visiting Queenzone.com
jadedlady
Bohemian: 189 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If he knew he had it in 1984 I will be very surprised. He looked to be in the best shape of his life around that time.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't it say in the biography included in his Solo boxset that he was officially diagnosed HIV Positive in 1987?

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 09, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It does say, but some people have a superstitious, frankly bizarre distrust of Jim Hutton.  It's called the "I like Queen, therefore I know enough to pass judgement on the people in the band and everyone who ever knew them personally" syndrome.

It is because of this syndrome that people stick their fingers in their ears, go 'gnah gnah gnah' and make up their own minds about when Freddie knew he had HIV.

I will say this much; it's totally reasonable to assume that Freddie would've been paranoid (or even known on some level) that he'd probably been infected, long before tests actually confirmed it.  There really is no point trying to put a date on it though...



"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 02:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



inu-liger wrote:

Didn't it say in the biography included in his Solo boxset that he was officially diagnosed HIV Positive in 1987?

Did it?.

I think the 1984 date is brought up because Mary Austin said in an interview that he "lived withe knowledge that he had HIV for 7 years" (going from memory).








"All you need is love"
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 02:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Zebonka12 wrote:

It does say, but some people have a superstitious, frankly bizarre distrust of Jim Hutton.  It's called the "I like Queen, therefore I know enough to pass judgement on the people in the band and everyone who ever knew them personally" syndrome.

LOL!!!.

No doubt one sees that attitude...




"All you need is love"
jadedlady user not visiting Queenzone.com
jadedlady
Bohemian: 189 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Crisstti wrote:



 



inu-liger wrote:



Didn't it say in the biography included in his Solo boxset that he was officially diagnosed HIV Positive in 1987?


Did it?.

I think the 1984 date is brought up because Mary Austin said in an interview that he "lived withe knowledge that he had HIV for 7 years" (going from memory).







When did Mary say that and to who?






Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 191 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he knew it indeed in 1986 but got the virus maybe already in the early 80's. He got Aids in 1987 when he developed Kaposi's sarcom and felt sick. The virus started in the US among gay men. Then it travelled to Europe. And because Freddie was clubbing heavily in that period, the chance he got it in his New York period or Munich period is likely.
No one knows for sure when he knew it. My guess is that he knew it as soon he stopped clubbing suddenly, like end of 1985-early 1986. Maybe then he found out he was infected and made his way of thinking different.

If he got infected 5 yrs later, he probably would still be alive...


You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Sunshine wrote:

I think he knew it indeed in 1986 but got the virus maybe already in the early 80's. He got Aids in 1987 when he developed Kaposi's sarcom and felt sick. The virus started in the US among gay men. Then it travelled to Europe. And because Freddie was clubbing heavily in that period, the chance he got it in his New York period or Munich period is likely.
No one knows for sure when he knew it. My guess is that he knew it as soon he stopped clubbing suddenly, like end of 1985-early 1986. Maybe then he found out he was infected and made his way of thinking different.

If he got infected 5 yrs later, he probably would still be alive...

Didn't it start in Africa?.

It's ironic, really, because the people who got in the late 70's, early 80's didn't know about the danger, or very vaguely.  The people who got it later were probably being more irresponsible.  Not that they desereved it at all either, but it seems unfair.



"All you need is love"
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



jadedlady wrote:



When did Mary say that and to who?





In an interview to the Daily Mail, in 2000 it seems:

http://www.freddie.ru/e/archives/daily_mail/

The same interview appears in that website, but in OK Magazine.  Funnily enough, they edited some parts:

http://www.freddie.ru/e/archives/ok/ (this one has photographs).


"All you need is love"
jadedlady user not visiting Queenzone.com
jadedlady
Bohemian: 189 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Crisstti wrote:



 



jadedlady wrote:




When did Mary say that and to who?






In an interview to the Daily Mail, in 2000 it seems:

http://www.freddie.ru/e/archives/daily_mail/

The same interview appears in that website, but in OK Magazine.  Funnily enough, they edited some parts:

http://www.freddie.ru/e/archives/ok/ (this one has photographs).




Interesting reading it, if a bit sad.