Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie vs Paul

forum rss feed
Author

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems the only kind of thread to get attention here is a "vs" thread. Very well, this is a thread to compare Freddie to Paul.

1. Natural voice:

Paul's voice is great for hard, meaty blues, but falls somewhat flat of Freddie's beautiful, rich tenor. I'd give this to Freddie.

2. Technique

While Freddie's natural talent made many assume he was a schooled opera singer, the truth is he was better at letting go than controling his performance. He couldn't always hit his trademark falsetto, as heard on Who Wants To Live Forever from Live at Wembley. Paul's range is modest, but he's a master of control over pitch, shape and time. Just listen to his We Will Rock You from ROTC - he's in time like a metronome - or the beautifully hit falsetto on Voodoo.  Points go to Paul.

3. Interpretation

Freddie was, well, always Freddie. While this is fine with Queen fans, Paul's ability to find a deep meaning to every song and shape his delivery to best fit the meaning is uncanny. Sometimes I think of him as a "musical actor." This category is won by Paul, hands down.

4. Showmanship

Paul is a fine charismatic singer, but frankly, when it's time to go wild, nobody compares to Freddie at full blast. Watching Freddie is watching pure energy unleashed, and he wins this category.

5. Songwriting

Frankly, Paul's writing comes up to standard blues rock, while Freddie was pushing the limits of pop music more than anyone else, including Lennon. BUT, that was only with Queen - left to his own devices, Freddie slided into cheesy pop and disco. I think any real rocker would give points to Paul here, and I'm no different.

6. Solo Career

Despite his massive popularity, Freddie never took off outside Queen, while Paul has had a successful solo career. This is a no-brainer; Paul clearly wins.

7. Influence

Freddie, with Queen, broke more new ground than Paul. Great and diverse bands, some of which bear no resemblance to Queen (Dream Theater, Radiohead) cite Queen as their influence. I'm giving this one to Freddie.

8. Popularity

Freddie was massive over the world, but never really conquered USA, which fell for Paul. I'm letting this one slip undecided.

9. Positive Message

Freddie lost the battle - and his life - to his vices; Paul broke free from drugs, fixed himself, and returned triumphantly. I'm tempted to give this one to Paul.

However, Freddie sent an important message. He was a homosexual and an Asian minority who was an equal member of a British rock band. He didn't preach equality - he LIVED it. For this, a point goes to him.

10. Rock n Roll Lifestyle

This is a no-brainer. Paul has always been the rock n roll man, sweaty, macho, setting hotel rooms on fire, playing with the cream of the guitarists crop including Page, Townsend, Beck, Gilmour... Freddie was campy and loved pop. Paul wins hands down.

Surprisingly, Freddie loses 4:6 to Paul! Of course, numbers alone don't tell the whole story. This little analysis showed us that Freddie had a beautiful voice, who, together with other members of Queen, broke new ground, became a star in the face of prejudice and had a profound influence on the music. Paul is a technically superior singer who stayed true to rock n roll, achieved success on his own, and left an unique imprint on classic rock tunes.

victor fleitas user not visiting Queenzone.com
victor fleitas
Bohemian: 209 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with all excep the 3rd point... freddie is better when it comes to interpretate a song... paul exagerate on the feeling he gives to the song... and that is truly annoying... for example, on i want it all, if you extract the voice of paul, and hear it a capella, it will be like if he is singing a love song... he always put some things on his voice to give more feeling, that is nice, but he do it all the time,,, and ruin the song...

Sorry for my english...

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to whole heartedly disagree with "hands down to Paul" for interpretation. Freddie put emotion into every line, IMO. While passionate, it was rarely overdone. If you didn't know what a song meant, you could tell by Freddie's vocal interpretation what HE believed it to mean. Paul reminds me of Kevin Costner... while a good actor, he's seems the same in every part.

As for popularity in the states - ask almost anyone and they'll know the names - Bad Company, Queen and Freddie Mercury. Ask again and only half will know "Paul Rodgers". Freddie wins this one hands down.

So... looks like it's been reversed 6:4 - Freddie. lol.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

peterkoz1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting and well worth a discussion so here goes:

I will be frankly honest and say i knew of the band Free for 1 song  and Bad Company for again 1 song prior to Paul joining QPR however i had never heard of Paul Rodgers !!
I do not believe the two are comparable as they are completely different in style but apart from possibly positive image !! Fred would win 9 - 1 in my humble opinion.
Come on could Paul have pulled of Live Aid  influence the rich to part with there cash , somehow i think not !
Queen stood against every new generation of  band and style  that came around and stayed on top , sadly Paul R was left behind in the 70's , his influence All right now , somehow i can not see Freddie's Bo Rhap advertising chewing gum.

hi freddie
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1 Natural voice (Freddie- more versatile and rich voice, very talented)
2 Technique (Freddie, Paul seems a bit limited and the same)
3 Iterpretation (definitely Freddie!)
4 Showmanship (again Freddie)
5 Songwriting (undecidedly, I would split it)
6 Solo career (Paul- impresive collaborations)
7 Influence (Freddie affected more people I suppose)
8 Popularity (undecidedly, but as I noticed more peole know the name F.Mercury than P.Rogers)
9 Possitive massege (undecidedly)
10 Rock n Roll life style- who gives points for this? Has it really any relation or importance? I think 10 question should be "connection with audience", what seems for me much more important. And this one goes to Freddie as well

queenside user not visiting Queenzone.com
taking my ride with destiny
queenside
Bohemian: 608 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love PR but i think he only wins in solo career. rock and roll lifestyle? i'd say definitely freddie, that is what ultimately killed him. or does all that gay scene and partying isn't considered to be rnr lifestyle?

I watched as fear took the old men's gaze

Hopes of the young in troubled graves

I see no day, I heard him say

So grey is the face of every mortal

Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

It seems the only kind of thread to get attention here is a "vs" thread. Very well, this is a thread to compare Freddie to Paul.

1. Natural voice:

Paul's voice is great for hard, meaty blues, but falls somewhat flat of Freddie's beautiful, rich tenor. I'd give this to Freddie.

2. Technique

While Freddie's natural talent made many assume he was a schooled opera singer, the truth is he was better at letting go than controling his performance. He couldn't always hit his trademark falsetto, as heard on Who Wants To Live Forever from Live at Wembley. Paul's range is modest, but he's a master of control over pitch, shape and time. Just listen to his We Will Rock You from ROTC - he's in time like a metronome - or the beautifully hit falsetto on Voodoo.  Points go to Paul.

3. Interpretation

Freddie was, well, always Freddie. While this is fine with Queen fans, Paul's ability to find a deep meaning to every song and shape his delivery to best fit the meaning is uncanny. Sometimes I think of him as a "musical actor." This category is won by Paul, hands down.

4. Showmanship

Paul is a fine charismatic singer, but frankly, when it's time to go wild, nobody compares to Freddie at full blast. Watching Freddie is watching pure energy unleashed, and he wins this category.

5. Songwriting

Frankly, Paul's writing comes up to standard blues rock, while Freddie was pushing the limits of pop music more than anyone else, including Lennon. BUT, that was only with Queen - left to his own devices, Freddie slided into cheesy pop and disco. I think any real rocker would give points to Paul here, and I'm no different.

6. Solo Career

Despite his massive popularity, Freddie never took off outside Queen, while Paul has had a successful solo career. This is a no-brainer; Paul clearly wins.

7. Influence

Freddie, with Queen, broke more new ground than Paul. Great and diverse bands, some of which bear no resemblance to Queen (Dream Theater, Radiohead) cite Queen as their influence. I'm giving this one to Freddie.

8. Popularity

Freddie was massive over the world, but never really conquered USA, which fell for Paul. I'm letting this one slip undecided.

9. Positive Message

Freddie lost the battle - and his life - to his vices; Paul broke free from drugs, fixed himself, and returned triumphantly. I'm tempted to give this one to Paul.

However, Freddie sent an important message. He was a homosexual and an Asian minority who was an equal member of a British rock band. He didn't preach equality - he LIVED it. For this, a point goes to him.

This is a no-brainer. Paul has always been the rock n roll man, sweaty, macho, setting hotel rooms on fire, playing with the cream of the guitarists crop including Page, Townsend, Beck, Gilmour... Freddie was campy and loved pop. Paul wins hands down.

Surprisingly, Freddie loses 4:6 to Paul! Of course, numbers alone don't tell the whole story. This little analysis showed us that Freddie had a beautiful voice, who, together with other members of Queen, broke new ground, became a star in the face of prejudice and had a profound influence on the music. Paul is a technically superior singer who stayed true to rock n roll, achieved success on his own, and left an unique imprint on classic rock tunes.

OK, I have a problem with points 5,6, 8 and 9.

5. Songwriting

How is it that you seem to consider only Freddie's solo career for this?.  You have to consider their whole songwriting careers.  Plus, it's only in one solo album that Freddie explored disco.  The another one was Barcelona.

6. Solo Career

I'm not sure if we should consider this, since Freddie didn't have much of a solo career, he nerver really pursued it, it was a side thing (so it's no surprise it never "took off", though many of his solo songs are actually quite well known...).  I mean, Freddie loses because Queen never broke up?.

8. Popularity

I'm curious, why is it that "the world" and "the US" seem to have the same weight here...?.  I mean, it's THE WORLD vs one country in it.  I'm guessing you're from the US.
Queen are far more popular.  EVERYONE (including in the US) know who Queen and Freddie Mercury are.  How many people know who Paul Rodgers is?.  I have nothing against him, but before I became a Queen fan I had never heard of him.  I had certainly heard of Queen and Freddie Mercury.
And think about the popularity of songs, not just of names.  Everyone knows Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions, and quite many other Queen songs (including in the US).

9. Positive Message

I just have a problem with saying that Freddie got HIV because of some "vice".
About the rest, I agree. 

I agree with whoever said point 10 doesn't make much sense at all...

"All you need is love"
queenfanbg user not visiting Queenzone.com
queenfanbg
Bohemian: 305 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pointless...its like to compare Mercedes and Volkswagen

"Queen are: Freddie Mercury,Roger Taylor, John Deacon and Brian May"
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

1. Natural voice:

I don't quite understand how can you compare 2 different singers and get a "winner" .

2. Technique

Well I agree that Paul is technically a better singer, but I still prefer Freddie. Simply because I get a feeling that Paul is actually a robot programmed to give the "standard performance" every day. Freddie was the main entertainer, the lead singer, the big showman ..., Paul is "only" a singer,

3. Interpretation

Actually this "Paul's ability to find a deep meening to every song" is pretty annoying. He always re-works the Queen classics, so for me, Freddie is the winner.

4. Showmanship

Fully agree.

5. Songwriting

So it means I'm a "real rocker" :) As I wrote before, I love Freddie's stuff from the seventies, but he wrote too "poppy" songs in the 80's, so probably Paul wins this one. At least his lyrics is better then Freddie's 80's stuff

6. Solo Career

Unfortunately you're right.

7. Influence

Agree/

8. Popularity

Isn't it illogical to compare "the world" with the USA ?

9. Positive Message

Well I agree but wasn't he technically bisexual ?

Again agree

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenfanbg wrote:

pointless...its like to compare Mercedes and Volkswagen

definitely. They're 2 completely different singers. Both are great, but different

redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They're both amongst the greatest Rock singers EVER. They are too different to be compared. It's not fair to either of them. Especially Paul, a lot of Queen fans that have a 'Fred-fetish' don't seem to give Paul a fucking break, & frankly it's bullshit!

"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

redspecialusa wrote:

They're both amongst the greatest Rock singers EVER. They are too different to be compared. It's not fair to either of them. Especially Paul, a lot of Queen fans that have a 'Fred-fetish' don't seem to give Paul a fucking break, & frankly it's bullshit!

Queen fans from the older generation probably won't ever give him a break. That's when Queen was Queen IMO. Maybe bullshit to you but I"ll stay on Freddie's side of the fence....thank you!

¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» wrote:

redspecialusa wrote:

Queen fans from the older generation probably won't ever give him a break. That's when Queen was Queen IMO. Maybe bullshit to you but I"ll stay on Freddie's side of the fence....thank you!

Speak for yourself, I've talked to Queen fans from your generation that love what Paul is doing in the new group w/ Brian & Roger, reinterpreting Queen's back catalog in the process. The difference (IMO) between you and them? They've accepted Freddie's death, & gotten over it; and want Brian & Roger to MOVE ON.

"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 658 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 19:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daddy or Chips?

Don't shun it!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 22:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Songwriting doesn't count when you're comparing two singers. It does, though, when you're comparing to musicians. As a musician, I think Fred was better; as a lead singer, I think Paul's one of the few who can top him.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
jadedlady user not visiting Queenzone.com
jadedlady
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 09, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very interesting to read what the posters  are saying in this thread, some of which I had not thought about before.
[img=/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif][/img]

Band Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 09, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As the remaining members of the group stated so many times past present and in the future no one can replace Freddie.
As for your remark about technique I think you do Freddie a big disservice, commentators report he had a 5 octave range, although I am not a fan of falsetto not  just Freddie's but everybody elses too.
I sometimes think the gay thing is still quite a hang up for some of the public, if he had been straight we would only talking about their wonderful music and his brilliant singing, as for Paul Rodgers, Queen and their music has brought him and his music into the public eye, I for one think he is okish as a rock singer that huskiness grates me though, but could he do ballads, opera, rock funk, and all the other genres Queen examined? I think not ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls Freddie like the rest of the band and their talent only visits us once in a lifetime, so to spend time on these debates is pointless, Queen the 4 pc combo, peops remain incomparable within Rock 'n' Roll.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 09, 04:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

9. Positive Message

Freddie did not die from cocaine, he died from a retro virus. It's really judgamental  to say he lost his life to his "vices" - what is that supposed to be? Is being gay a "vice" or is having multiple sex partners a "vice"? AIDS is a tragedy for all people, it does not dicriminate between gays and heterosexuals and one contact to an infected partner can be enough to catch HIV - gay or hetero. Would Freddie have been a role model if he had been heterosexual because he stopped cocaine and quit smoking? Maybe promiscuity would have been a "Rock'n Roll Lifestyle" in your book. It's laughable to judge the lives of two people in such two superficial statements.

And no pittrek , Freddie was not "technically" bisexual, he was gay. I know you don't mean it but denying the fact that he was gay is not respecting  his sexual preference. Only very few people are actually bisexual, most of us prefer one gender and come to terms with our sexual preference at some point in our lives. Elton John was even married to a woman but he is gay, not bisexual. It was the intolerance in the 20th century society that made it so hard for gay people to come out early and be open about being gay.

I do not want any google ads here.

mrbadguy86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 09, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie had a much more successfull solo-career than Rodger... havent even heard of him in Norway before he played with May and Taylor!  Name some of Rodgers solohits please?

Mercurys solohits include; Living On my Own(huge hit), Barcelona and The Great Pretender.. and all of them was at top 5 on the lists..

so I dont understand you people? Just because it wasnt rock? come on! As Mercury said it; People who only stay in one genre is ridiculous..

Freddie Mercury; "Reach for the Top, and hope for the Best"

"Find them, Fuck them, Forget them!"
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 09, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

redspecialusa wrote:

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» wrote:

redspecialusa wrote:

Speak for yourself, I've talked to Queen fans from your generation that love what Paul is doing in the new group w/ Brian & Roger, reinterpreting Queen's back catalog in the process. The difference (IMO) between you and them? They've accepted Freddie's death, & gotten over it; and want Brian & Roger to MOVE ON.

(rolls eyes)  Like I said "MY OPINION"
   Just like fans like you who can't accept the fact that fans like myself feel this way. I've accepted Freddie's death. Paul Rodgers Sucks!!  That's why their comeback has been a world-wide phenomenon and all the new songs have topped the charts....ummm ya right!

¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥