Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Who sang the high note in Under Pressure?

forum rss feed
Author

Rubbersuit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 331 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey QZers,

I'm having a bit of a debate with someone over something silly.  Who was it that sang the high note in Under Pressure (you know the one!).

To my ears, it sounds just like Roger Taylor, but the other person is saying it's Freddie.

Is there a definitive word on this?  I don't think either attempted it live.

Thanks!

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was David Bowie!...just kiddin'.
It was Freddie.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reinhold Mack. : -) Well, it was him in many ways indeed, but, let's say, taking Reinhold Mack huge factor out of the equation, if the note you have in mind is the same as the one I have in mine, then "Freddie", or Freddie, for christ's sake. Hahaha.

Anyway, it's such a beautifully produced and composed song. The album version is terrific. But I (I=me=Yara=personal opinion, and so on) thought the live versions were usually so bad, that I kind of skipped the song in Live at the Bowl and Wembley 86. :-) I was growing more tolerant, though, until I discovered Bowie's live versions with brilliant bassist/singer Gail Ann Dorsey - that's the way the song should sound live, in my opinion. In some of their concerts, I'd dare to say they are definitive live renditions of the song.

Yara
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the song.  I haven't heard Bowie's version, but I think Queen played it great live!.  I think it's a song that always worked great live.

By the way, has anyone heard that interview in which Freddie talks about some problem they had with Bowie over the song, and he calls him "asshole"?.  I hope they fixed things later!.

"All you need is love"
Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

Reinhold Mack. : -) Well, it was him in many ways indeed, but, let's say, taking Reinhold Mack huge factor out of the equation, if the note you have in mind is the same as the one I have in mine, then "Freddie", or Freddie, for christ's sake. Hahaha.

Anyway, it's such a beautifully produced and composed song. The album version is terrific. But I (I=me=Yara=personal opinion, and so on) thought the live versions were usually so bad, that I kind of skipped the song in Live at the Bowl and Wembley 86. :-) I was growing more tolerant, though, until I discovered Bowie's live versions with brilliant bassist/singer Gail Ann Dorsey - that's the way the song should sound live, in my opinion. In some of their concerts, I'd dare to say they are definitive live renditions of the song.

YEAH! She is by far the coolest bassplayer ever...female that is. Male...well, any competition there? Deaky and Adam Clayton.

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
Mercury 90 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mercury 90
Bohemian: 167 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

Funny thing^^
My opinion of this song goes in the complete opposite direction, I don't like the studio version or the live version of bowie and love Queens Live renditions!
But as Yara said: I=me=Mercury 90= personal opinion, and so on^^

Keep Yourself Alive

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Back to topic: of course it's Freddie. Roger sounds completely different when doing that note (e.g. Lap of the Gods)

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was young Merc.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people are strange on this site,  that high note sounds nothing like roger.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4792 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Montreal version is my favourite. The duet between Roger and Freddie works damn well. Plus Freddie's doing a falsetto, which sounds great.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Claudio_CQI user not visiting Queenzone.com
Oh yes, we'll keep on tryin'..
Claudio_CQI
Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me i'ts Freddie voice, but somebody used to talk about an interaction with Red Special thru the end of the high note...

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 09, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

claudiox wrote:

For me i'ts Freddie voice, but somebody used to talk about an interaction with Red Special thru the end of the high note...

That's what I've always thought from listening to it. 

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
emma246000 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 09, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was definitely Freddie! [img=/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif][/img]

A Queen Fan From Down-Under
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4792 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 09, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's definitely Freddie. Keep in mind that his voice was truly at its peak at the time. If you listen to Soul Brother, you'll get why.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 620 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 09, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

beautifulsoup wrote:

claudiox wrote:

That's what I've always thought from listening to it. 

That's Freddie, but up to a certain point where it mixes with the RS which is what finishes it.

Valentine '90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 09, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

Live perfoming of Under Pressure always is the one of mine favourites moments from every show. I hate Bowie sang the song on Tribute Concert. I think, album verison a bit cuted - I mean, it does not sounds like one song, but like a few lines mixed together.

But Freddie is brilliant here, better then Bowie. Fred's lines are more various, if you understand me :(

Yes, We'll keep on smiling
Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 09, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Mr. Mack, ha ha excellent.

The best answer by far.

Watch out for my new poll coming soon - " The best ever reply to QZ forum answers"....coming soon (though probably not on the outside of the tracks).

Big Fish
comingsoonkid user not visiting Queenzone.com
Totallty taylor-tastic!
comingsoonkid
Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 30 May 09, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie...

It doesnt sound like roger at all...   I love his high notes though xxx

!!!!coming soon!!!!
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to the Queen Myths and Misinformation Society (M&M'S) it was David Richards.You can quote me on that. Don't believe me? Believe Brian:

"It was David Richards..."
- Brian May, 1981 -

See?

Talk to you in five years, when this is considered an unquestioned fact by some.

Queen Myths and Misinfirmation Society
"Spreading Internet FACTS since 1996"

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 01:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John did.....