Forums > Queen - General Discussion > ‘I Want To Break Free’

forum rss feed
Author

Spiritinthesky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 34 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Mar 09, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't know the video was banned in the US?From http://www.thisdayinmusic.com1984, Queen filmed the video for ‘I Want To Break Free’ at Limehouse Studio in London, England. Directed by David Mallet, it was a parody of the northern British soap opera Coronation Street with the band members dressed in drag. Guitarist Brian May later said the video ruined the band in America, and was initially banned by MTV in the US.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4789 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 09, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's one word which sums it up beautifully: hypocrisy.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 09, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

There's one word which sums it up beautifully: hypocrisy.

Yeah it's typical of American censors; glorifying violence and thuggery is perfectly fine, but showing grown men in women's clothing will cause society to collapse.

*rolls eyes*

"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."
paul mason user not visiting Queenzone.com
Im The Hitman,stand aside.....
paul mason
Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 09, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Id sacrifice my left testicle to see some video outakes,or,behind the scenes footage from the making of this video..........................

paulmason123
Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 09, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol... really, there should be some behind the scenes footage... it would be hilarious...

"All you need is love"
Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 09, 04:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spiritinthesky wrote:

I didn't know the video was banned in the US?From http://www.thisdayinmusic.com1984, Queen filmed the video for ‘I Want To Break Free’ at Limehouse Studio in London, England. Directed by David Mallet, it was a parody of the northern British soap opera Coronation Street with the band members dressed in drag. Guitarist Brian May later said the video ruined the band in America, and was initially banned by MTV in the US.

That is easy talk from Brian. I dont think one video can cause a 10 year career at that point. The record company also didnt do their work well enough. Plus deciding not to tour there anymore didnt proof of much will to regain the audience.
I mean Body Language video was also banned in Europe in 1982 and didnt kill their carreer either by hard working by touring their asses off.

You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 09, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It wasn't "Banned" ... it was "rejected" by MTV. Wouldn't it need to be in rotation first to be banned?

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 09, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen wrote:

Well , let me say it like this : NO

Let me say it like this, YES, dollah!!!!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Crisstti

Posted: 23 Mar 09, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sunshine wrote:

Spiritinthesky wrote:

That is easy talk from Brian. I dont think one video can cause a 10 year career at that point. The record company also didnt do their work well enough. Plus deciding not to tour there anymore didnt proof of much will to regain the audience.
I mean Body Language video was also banned in Europe in 1982 and didnt kill their carreer either by hard working by touring their asses off.

Well, aparently Brian was in the US at the time and saw the scandal hat the video produced...  In any case, he has also talked about other reasons for Queen's decrease of popularity in the US, like the attitude of Freddie's persona manager (aparently Paul Prenter), the lack of promotion by their record company, and some kind case of corruption or something that caused some scandal... involving radio promoters or something like that.

"All you need is love"
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 09, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If the whole video showed just Roger it probably wouldn't be banned, considering he could easily be mistaken as a girl by the average American. ;)

Crisstti

Posted: 23 Mar 09, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lalaalalaa wrote:

If the whole video showed just Roger it probably wouldn't be banned, considering he could easily be mistaken as a girl by the average American. ;)

Lol... No kidding.  In YouTube videos of that song there's always people insisting that that one HAS to be a real woman... they might not be joking.

"All you need is love"
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 09, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen wrote:

thequeen wrote:

However ...Body Language was a bigger hit in the US ..... It's all bullcrap Americans are good people !
Canadians too ..... except "jadedlady" and "inu-lager" of course , of course they could tour Africa and
get famous there with all their moaning and their big ego-trip !

READ THIS FIRST NOW  ^

If my band was to include Africa in any worldwide tours, that would still be a bigger accomplishment than you likely would ever pull yourself.

I'll tell you what though . . . you can join our staff when that time comes . . . you can be the guy to hold two electric wires at a time to see what happens[img=/images/smiley/msn/angel_smile.gif][/img]

Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 09, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hypocrisy sums it up really. Rather odd that in the same year it was ok for some masked guy to go down on Laura Branigan in the video of 'no self control' but not ok for for Fred to wear a leather skirt.
I've never rated I want to break free although I understand it's popularity. A Queen tribute edition of Q magazine in England called it 'a plinky plonky pop song' and that best sums it up much as I hate to agree with anything that the - to quote Fred - 'Arsehole critics' have to say.
It may have been the final straw on the camels back that extinguished Queens career in America but the damage had already been done; The brave but ill-advised 'Hot Space' and lead single 'Body Language' alienated their considerable middle America fan base and Freds gay clone image sealed their fate. 
I remember that, in England, his change of image didn't really have much of an impact, I can't say that I really liked the moustache image but the music was always more important. Odd in a way because I've always considered the British to be more fickle and image concious.

Funny old world.

Big Fish
Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 09, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was taken off MTV's rotation. I clearly remember seeing Radio Ga Ga and IWTBF on MTV as a kid.  There was a backlash and conservative parents demanded the video be taken off the air.  It was the Reagan years.  VH1 started playing the video again in 1991.  MTV and VH1 are owned by the same entity.

vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 09, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't buy it. I think they're no more than lame excuses. Boy George and Annie Lennox were MTV's pets that same year and kept their videos on very heavy rotation.

Besides, controversy sells. A single banned video is capable to increase sales x10 in the next minute.

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 09, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you live in the States in the 80's during the Reagan administration?

It's one thing to dress androgynous and another to dress in drag.

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 09, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First of all the song it’s self is weak. It plods along at a snails pace and contains an awful synthesizer solo that sounds like someone having a bowl movement. The video is OK and there is nothing really shocking about it. It certainly didn’t ruin their careers in the USA. They did that themselves with the crappy music they were producing.

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 26 Mar 09, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

louvox wrote:

First of all the song it’s self is weak. It plods along at a snails pace and contains an awful synthesizer solo that sounds like someone having a bowl movement. The video is OK and there is nothing really shocking about it. It certainly didn’t ruin their careers in the USA. They did that themselves with the crappy music they were producing.

I Want To Break Free is a good song, and it isn't really that slow of a song.   It's all a matter of opinion

Crisstti

Posted: 26 Mar 09, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

louvox wrote:

It doesn't really matter what we think of the music they were making (I like I want to break free, though they had done better, and did better after that).  The fact is that they remained hugely popular in ALL the rest of the world, except the US.  Therefore, there must be some reason, something particular about the US, that can explain it.  Brian May has given that video as a reason (among others), and what he's said seems to be backed up by people from the US who saw the reaction to the video.

"All you need is love"
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2749 posts

Posted: 27 Mar 09, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok,  this whole thing about "break free" ruining queen in america is nonsense.  America loved the rock band queen, but when they started with the funk sound they lost their rock following.  Yea, they made lots of phony fans with ANOBTD, but they lost their real fans in the process.  It wasn't freds gayness or the break free video, it was the music itself america didn't like.  back in those days (i'm almost 38, so I remember) either you liked disco or rock, and no in betweens.  Queen fans looked at them as sellouts for going disco.  I still remember the reaction when hot space came out.