Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 'Bad Company' touring again

forum rss feed
Author

Reid_Special_98 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Apr 09, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just received an email announcing ticket information for an upcoming Bad Company tour with Paul Rodgers...does this spell the end of 'QPR' ?

A.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good.  Let's get Brian and Roger doing the singing again.

"No One But You" > TCR.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 07:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For all we know it could be a one-time reunion of Bad Co.

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

"No One But You" > TCR.

wouldn´t say that much, but the other day I played NOBY 3 or 4 times, it had been a long time without listening to this song, and ... yeah, it´s fantastic .... still missing Bri´s solo, though

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
blackshuck03 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they just doing 10 exclusive gigs,
then paul wants rest of the year off to write new songs which could tie in with the post that queen 99% sure to tour 2010

QUEEN THE LEGEND LIVES ON
e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

blackshuck03 wrote:

they just doing 10 exclusive gigs,
then paul wants rest of the year off to write new songs which could tie in with the post that queen 99% sure to tour 2010

a stint with Bad Company does not have to be bad news for QPR. had Paul taken time off to do nothing at all (even though he deserves a holiday :) ) it would have been a worse sign imo

also; I'm pretty sure Paul will miss playing with brian and roger after playing with bad company. while they're a good band, they're not as good as brian and roger

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

isnt this bad company tour,something to do with the bands name.along the lines of copyright for the name?.sure i saw that somewhere.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

david (galashiels) wrote:

isnt this bad company tour,something to do with the bands name.along the lines of copyright for the name?.sure i saw that somewhere.

Paul said so about a one-off gig that was to happen last year - I think. He said that if he did that gig with "Bad Company" then no-one else could ever tour under that name without him. Could be the same here. I'm sure it will be great for Paul to play before HIS audience for a while. Hopefully he will be back with Brian and Roger after that.

He is a very charismatic frontman and was able to win over many Queen fans due to this - in my opinion- even more than due to his vocal abilities.

You can say all you want about preferring Brian and Roger toured alone and sung themselves but I prefer to see Brian and Roger play their instruments at 100% capacity and have a GREAT vocalist singing with them. I'm sure a Brian OR Roger gig in a small club must be a great experience for a fan but I don't want to hear solos by Jamie Moses, Spike Edney, Jason Falloon or whoever they employ as back up musicians and that'll happen if they tour solo.

A Brian and Roger tour as Queen would be cool if they tried new songs (to which Brian seems a bit reluctant, btw) but I think the overall performance would suffer. I would be more than often celebrating Brian reaching a high note without sounding like a strained alley cat or bummed if he didn't.

And again... more Brian singing inevitably means less Red Special and that is not good for me :).

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"He is a very charismatic frontman and was able to win over many Queen fans due to this - in my opinion- even more than due to his vocal abilities"

Charismatic?I saw them live at the end of the tour but he was kinda tired,bored....too boring for a frontman.I would like a The Cross re-union!!!!or Roger or Brian solo gigs instead!!!

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

L-R-TIGER1994 wrote:

"He is a very charismatic frontman and was able to win over many Queen fans due to this - in my opinion- even more than due to his vocal abilities"

Charismatic?I saw them live at the end of the tour but he was kinda tired,bored....too boring for a frontman.I would like a The Cross re-union!!!!or Roger or Brian solo gigs instead!!!

Where did you see him? South America, I assume?

No wonder he was tired and bored. Tired and bored of the shit the South Americans gave him.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

L-R-TIGER1994 wrote:

I saw them live 5 times: 4 in Europe 2005 and 1 in San Diego 2006. In the European shows everyone was excited to see Brian and Roger but pretty much ignored Paul. However, Paul was all smiles and didn't seem to mind playing second fiddle to the other two guys, although he tried to connect with the audience here and there, specially during his songs.

Seeing them in San Diego a year later was almost like a seeing a different band. Paul was more in his element. He REALLY seemed to be enjoying himself and the audience cheered Bad Co's and Free's songs as much as Queen's. This added up to a more intense experience overall for me. The better setlist also helped, hehe :).

evilemperor_10 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Para Rick: Con el mas absoluto respeto me dirigo a ti esperando no volver a encontrar ninguna frase violenta y por demas insultante a cualquier persona en este mundo, en este momento te lo cito textualmente: "La mierda que los sudamericanos le dieron" refiriendote como a que las personas que no habiten en tu lugar de origen, es decir, los Paises Bajos como personas mal educadas y sin ningun aprecio a Paul o lo que es aun peor sin ningun repeto por nada habitan en sudamerica o en paises subdesarrollados pero dejame descirte que eso no es asi, ojala cambies esa manera de ver las cosas por que el terner nacionalidad europea o de cualquier otra parte del globo no te hace menos o mas que cualquier otro ser humano. Lastima que te expreses asi por que asi demuestras que le maleducado y pedante eres tu.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18622 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:

Seeing them in San Diego a year later was almost like a seeing a different band. Paul was more in his element. He REALLY seemed to be enjoying himself and the audience cheered Bad Co's and Free's songs as much as Queen's.

I'll second that.  I was at the East Rutherford show in '05, and I vividly recall Bad Company getting just as big a cheer as Bohemian Rhapsody got.

In terms of influence on rock music and its fans in the US, the two bands are about equal.  The audience reaction at that show was perfect testament to that.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Wiley wrote:

Seeing them in San Diego a year later was almost like a seeing a different band. Paul was more in his element. He REALLY seemed to be enjoying himself and the audience cheered Bad Co's and Free's songs as much as Queen's.

I'll second that.  I was at the East Rutherford show in '05, and I vividly recall Bad Company getting just as big a cheer as Bohemian Rhapsody got.

In terms of influence on rock music and its fans in the US, the two bands are about equal.  The audience reaction at that show was perfect testament to that.

That's skunk crap, and you know it. If you knew half the things you claim to know, you'd be Einstein #2.

There's only two Paul Rodger regulars on radio stations where I am, and it's 'Shooting Star' and 'All Right Now'

People don't even know the name of the band's he's been in. They don't even know what he looks like.

They do however know what Freddie looks like, and his name, and that he was gay and died of AIDS, and that he was the singer of Queen, and that they had lots of hit songs.

I'm a fan of both bands. The people were only cheering for Paul Rodgers songs because they have accepted him.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember listening to the recording of the NJ' 05 concert and noticing the big cheer when the first 3 chords of Bad Company played. Also, some drunk guys near the bootlegger were singing it very excited, hehe :).

I'm a bit surprised that your local radio stations play Shooting Star over songs like Feel Like Making Love or Can't Get Enough, which I have always thought were bigger hits. FLML was on VH1's list of the best 100 hard rock songs (Stone Cold Crazy was there also).

Actually, around 05 a guy from MIT came to my university to work in a project and I told him I was traveling to Europe to see Queen with Paul Rodgers. He actually knew Paul and Bad Company as much as he knew Queen and he was 19!

I'm not saying Bad Company is considered a better band overall in the U.S. but it appears that for Average Joe they are just "70's rock acts" not necessarily better or worse than -say- the Eagles, Lynrd Skynrd, Boston, Toto, Journey, etc.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen vs. Bad Company in popularity might depend slightly on where you are in the US.  Certainly the crowd wanted to hear Queen in Detroit, but in Atlanta, the Bad Company stuff got a big response.  Overall, I think Americans would know more Queen songs....and by that, I'm meaning the 5 or 6 they actually play on the radio. :-/

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

Queen vs. Bad Company in popularity might depend slightly on where you are in the US.  Certainly the crowd wanted to hear Queen in Detroit, but in Atlanta, the Bad Company stuff got a big response.  Overall, I think Americans would know more Queen songs....and by that, I'm meaning the 5 or 6 they actually play on the radio. :-/

These are played to death on the radio up here in New Hampshire. Q106 rock station. They used Radio Ga Ga as their theme song a few years back. And they always refer to Queen as 'Freddie Mercury & The Boys'

Another One Bites The Dust
Bicycle Race
Bohemian Rhapsody
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Fat Bottomed Girls
Keep Yourself Alive
Killer Queen
Radio Ga Ga
Somebody To Love
Tie Your Mother Down
Under Pressure
You're My Best Friend
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions

.....other things they play once in a while (every month or so)
The Show Must Go On
I Want To Break Free
Need Your Loving Tonight
One Vision
Play The Game
Hammer To Fall

....... and about once a year
Scandal
Get Down Make Love
Stone Cold Crazy
Body Language

My first memory of Queen was when I was like 4 years old and I heard Play The Game on the radio and another time within the same year when I heard Keep Yourself Alive on the radio, and I even remember every location I was when I heard the songs. And EVERYTIME I go to Maine, I hear Keep Yourself Alive more often than any other Queen song, and many people in Maine tell me A Kind Of Magic is on the playlist often, though I only heard it in Maine once.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You would never get that many songs played down here.  Here it's BoRhap, WWRY/WATC, AOBTD, FBG, Under Pressure, maaybe CLTCL...  I don't listen to local radio anymore since I've had XM, but it's not any better.  We saw One Night Of Queen on Tuesday, and the only songs people knew were those..of course.  Some drunk guy started loudly singing WWRY during Love Of My Life.  It was pathetic.  There is no love for Queen here. :-/

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

You would never get that many songs played down here.  Here it's BoRhap, WWRY/WATC, AOBTD, FBG, Under Pressure, maaybe CLTCL...  I don't listen to local radio anymore since I've had XM, but it's not any better.  We saw One Night Of Queen on Tuesday, and the only songs people knew were those..of course.  Some drunk guy started loudly singing WWRY during Love Of My Life.  It was pathetic.  There is no love for Queen here. :-/

That is cause you down south where the horses run wild.