Forums > Queen - General Discussion > John Deacon at Knebworth

forum rss feed
Author

falmark user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 29 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw the clip from  the show at Knebworth were John Deacon Destroys His Bass Guitar; anynone know why he did it i mean he does not seem like the guy that goes around destroying instruments.

e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 692 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

relieved that the tour was over?

who knows..

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it was frustration that triggered it

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10025 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

falmark wrote:

I saw the clip from  the show at Knebworth were John Deacon Destroys His Bass Guitar; anynone know why he did it i mean he does not seem like the guy that goes around destroying instruments.

Link please, I've heard many rumours about this but I can't find it

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he does not seem like the guy that goes around destroying instruments.

He does not seem like the guy that goes around destroying instruments because he isn't a guy that goes around destroying instruments. He threw his bass once, what about the 600+ concerts where he did NOT throw it?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2874 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsl3d-buDh8

Arse.

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

He does not seem like the guy that goes around destroying instruments because he isn't a guy that goes around destroying instruments. He threw his bass once, what about the 600+ concerts where he did NOT throw it?

True this is the only time he did, thats  why i asked if anyone knows why he did throw it this time.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4792 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There were some technical issues with his bass. As Niek said: pure frustration.

A similar situation can be seen during One Vision at Leiden 1986. I believe he switches bass twice. (although without any aggression this time).

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18474 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there could be a deeper reason.

It is the P-bass he had played for most of Queen's career, since 1974.  He had it completely redone before the tour, and before the second encore at the last show, he tossed it away.  Maybe the band did know that it would be their last show.  I guess there are some things we'll just never know...

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian

Posted: 08 Apr 09, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I think the bass he threw was the Elite one, not his famous black Precision.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

falmark wrote:

Well, he doesn't seem like a guy who visits strip clubs either...

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Actually, I think the bass he threw was the Elite one, not his famous black Precision.

Thanks again. :))) 

Whener I have a doubt about a Queen concert I use to go to queenconcerts.com, which now I know is Mr.Scully's website  - * bowing respectfully to Mr. Scully * - and it was a delight to find out that you contributted there with info on the instruments. ;-) Thanks, really.

Thank you all guys for the great work. It's really valuable, informative and entertaining.

Thanks also to Sir GH, who has a wonderful website for those who - unlikely - don't know it: queenlive.ca,  which is deliciously informative and fun too. He's a Knight in disguise - the old-fashioned, gentle knights who defended the ladies and did their best to help people out along his way: if the amount of e-mails in your mailbox happen to double now, dear Sir GH, it's all this poor's squire fault. :)))

Kiss to you all, you're great.   

Yara
catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Deacon destroyed a bass?!  Just watched the clip, really wonder what was going on!
Yara, thanks for the queenlive.ca address, can't wait to look it up!

Sebastian

Posted: 09 Apr 09, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He didn't destroy it, he tossed it but it wasn't destroyed - he still used it for the second encore.

Posted: 10 Apr 09, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Still hard to believe, but that makes slightly more sense, i was really struggling with the mental image of John bashing the life out of his lovely, lovely bass!  The video clip is fairly distant, so it's hard to see what exactly is happening.

Mercury 90 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mercury 90
Bohemian: 167 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 09, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

catqueen wrote:

Still hard to believe, but that makes slightly more sense, i was really struggling with the mental image of John bashing the life out of his lovely, lovely bass!  The video clip is fairly distant, so it's hard to see what exactly is happening.

maybe this helps

[img]http://www.queenconcerts.com/inc/photos-live/queen/1986-08-09/02.jpg[/img]

can someone tell me, how to put a foto inhere so that you can see it?

Keep Yourself Alive

Posted: 10 Apr 09, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury 90 wrote:

catqueen wrote:

maybe this helps

[img]http://www.queenconcerts.com/inc/photos-live/queen/1986-08-09/02.jpg[/img]

can someone tell me, how to put a foto inhere so that you can see it?

Thanks Mercury 90... I'm not able to access it though, I found queenconcerts.com, but not sure what I'm looking for and cant access this link.  Any idea what the photo is called so i can search for it?  If its of John throwing the bass I really want to see it, because its really not the way I think of him! :)

Posted: 10 Apr 09, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

catqueen wrote:

Thanks Mercury 90... I'm not able to access it though, I found queenconcerts.com, but not sure what I'm looking for and cant access this link.  Any idea what the photo is called so i can search for it?  If its of John throwing the bass I really want to see it, because its really not the way I think of him! :)

When at the queenconcerts site choose concertography ,go down to queen on tour, then click magic tour from the list on the right hand side, press on the info for the last concert 09.08.1986  Stevenage, UK
The picture is on the bottom

Posted: 10 Apr 09, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

falmark wrote:

catqueen wrote:

When at the queenconcerts site choose concertography ,go down to queen on tour, then click magic tour from the list on the right hand side, press on the info for the last concert 09.08.1986  Stevenage, UK
The picture is on the bottom

Thanks Falmark!  I was actually able to get it - I was feeling a bit jinxed for a while, I seem to have trouble getting links sometimes.  Wow, what a website!  Someone did an incredible amount of work getting everything together, its brilliant.

Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 09, 06:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

falmark wrote:

It´s on the Magic years VHS documentary part 3. End of Champions/good save the queen. He runs off and can clearly be seen hurling his bass, hopefully not at a poor and unsuspecting Ratty.

Big Fish