Forums > Personal > Big Star

forum rss feed
Author

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Apr 09, 22:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have been getting into the music of Big Star lately and was wondering if there were any other fans here. Their song In The Street was changed a bit and used as the theme song to That 70s Show (where, I think, Cheap Trick played it), but I don't really know of any other songs they've done that are well known... maybe The Ballad of El Goodo. So, anyone else familiar with/a fan of this awesome band?

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 09, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan Corson IV: Into Your Drug wrote:

I have been getting into the music of Big Star lately and was wondering if there were any other fans here. Their song In The Street was changed a bit and used as the theme song to That 70s Show (where, I think, Cheap Trick played it), but I don't really know of any other songs they've done that are well known... maybe The Ballad of El Goodo. So, anyone else familiar with/a fan of this awesome band?

Great! I love pretty much all the songs of the...#1 record, but especially "Thirtheen", it's so beautiful, tender and sensitive - the song is simple, straightforward, stripped down to the very basics when it comes to instrumentation, and yet it sounds just wonderfully. A lovely song.

"Thirteen" is very well known, I have listened to some covers of it, for instance.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm a fan of the band because it was so short-lived, although hugely influential. I can say I like it a lot and, for instance, if one brings it to my memory, as you just did, I feel like listening to their songs. 

I miss listening to some of their songs. I don't know how it all played out, but many of their songs remind me of George Harrisson - it seems as if they were following the steps of George and trying to go further with his lyrical and very emotional way of playing and writting songs.

Great thread. Thanks!

Yara
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 09, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan and Yara?
Yara and Dan?

You two are a match made in Queenzone. I really think you two should meet up and do some love thumping.

Anyway, on a serious note, both of you have wonderful tastes in music and I will have to check 'em out.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"