Forums > Queen - General Discussion > VOTE FOR ROGER AS THE "GREATEST DRUMMER OF ALL TIME"

forum rss feed
Author

robyns user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Apr 09, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Over on NME website is a poll to find "The Greatest Drummer of All Time" and of course our Roger Taylor is nominated!

Currently Roger is in 7thth place with a score of 6.08 out of a possible 10.

It only takes a minute to cast a vote for Roger and seems you can vote daily!!! Check out the website www.nme.com/rate/greatestdrummer/4

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 09, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I already did like 50 times. The poll seems to getting votes from little kids who don't know who Queen is. That is why the drummers of The Killers and the Smashing Pumpkins are doing better than Mister Roger Taylor.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 09, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

robyns wrote:

Over on NME website is a poll to find "The Greatest Drummer of All Time" and of course our Roger Taylor is nominated!

It only takes a minute to cast a vote for Roger and seems you can vote daily!!! Check out the website www.nme.com/rate/greatestdrummer/4

Love Rogers drumming - very distinctive style. As for him being the the greatest drummer of all time, my vote would probably go to Keith Moon or maybe Buddy Rich.

Big Fish
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 09, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Play The Game wrote:

I already did like 50 times. The poll seems to getting votes from little kids who don't know who Queen is. That is why the drummers of The Killers and the Smashing Pumpkins are doing better than Mister Roger Taylor.

Smashing Pumpkins? Really?

You make it sound like they are a new band or that their fans are little kids. I don't know any little kids who even know about Billy Corgan's band. Saw them in Mexico City and Monterrey last year and most of the audience were 25-35 years old. 

I like them a lot. Many of their songs are timeless: Tonight Tonight, Muzzle, Cherub Rock, 1979, Ava Adore, etc. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness has to be one of the best albums in the 90's. A double album and it was only their third album. I wished Queen had done that with ANATO and ADATR.

Back on topic, Chamberlin is good. Lots of snare drum rolls and a solid beat, but Roger is certainly a better drummer and more distinguishable as well.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 09, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The poll seems to getting votes from little kids who don't know who Queen is.

Kinda like this website.   Zing!

Queenfan1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfan1995
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 09, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i have voted

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 09, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

robyns wrote:

you seriously think Roger is the best drummer ever? delusional and blinkered!!!!
Queen were great because of the "sum of the parts"...Freddie was not the greatest piano player, Brian certainly not the greatest guitarist, nor John the greatest bass player....and Roger was nowhere near the greatest drummer....
have you neve rheard of Keith Moon, Ian Paice, John Bonham, Cozy Powell? - all greater than Roger

go deo na hÉireann
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 09, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger is an excellent drumer, but "the greatest drummer of all time" ? No way

Kind of Magician user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 09, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

robyns wrote:

you seriously think Roger is the best drummer ever? delusional and blinkered!!!!
Queen were great because of the "sum of the parts"...Freddie was not the greatest piano player, Brian certainly not the greatest guitarist, nor John the greatest bass player....and Roger was nowhere near the greatest drummer....
have you neve rheard of Keith Moon, Ian Paice, John Bonham, Cozy Powell? - all greater than Roger

Brian is one of the greatest, if not the greatest...

littlekillerham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Derp.
littlekillerham
Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 09, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rodger is now in 5th.

If you want to be loved, love.
Hugowan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 09, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger it's hardly the greatest drummer of all times, but it's certainly the greatest influence in my drumming. The man is a master for me. I'll vote daily.

Hugowan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 09, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the other hand, Neil Peart below this who--knows-his-name from The Killers might be a joke. And not a funny one.

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 09, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ronnie Vanucci better than John Bonham?????who voted there?

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 09, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Roger is an excellent drumer, but "the greatest drummer of all time" ? No way

Neither is the guy from The Killers or The Smashing Pumpkins.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 09, 23:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

robyns wrote:

lol, i agree.  Don't forget neil pert was and is way better than roger.  He's a very good drummer, though not one of the best.  Queen were one of the all time best for their songwriting ability.  Not many bands could match them.

Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 09, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

robyns wrote:

Finally some sanity...

Big Fish
robyns user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 09, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Glad to see I am not the only "delusional and blinkered" one here who thinks Roger is amazing.  Seems he is number two in this poll now with a score of 7.62

For those of you who were so inclined to let me know how bad you think he is...uhmm..where are Neil Peart (who overplays like a madman IMHO), Keith Moon, Ian Paice, etc.  Well....Neil and Keith are in 9th and 10th place respectively.  Ian Paice...no idea.

Just thought I'd update you with the good news. :-P

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 09, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you're serious aren't you? i can tell. but still delusional and blinkered.

The reason Roger has climbed to no2, is because idiots make comments like "i'll vote for Roger daily"...how fucking absurd....what ever happened to "one man - one vote" ?

these polls mean f**k-all because of idiots who flood the boards...this poll and others like it have as much cred as GW Bush's "winning election" campaign...

i know this is all subjective...but how can vote count form people who "only ever listen/buy music by one band"?
but here' my subjective opinion

Brian is probably (at best)f5th or 6th best guitarist..behind.....page, blackmore, gilmour, rhoads, scholtz, townend, lifeson
Deacy - way behind, entwhistle, hughes, glover and waters
freddie keyboard skills? - maybe after elton, rick wright, jon lord
and poor old roger?....way way behind....paice, moon, cozy powell, bonham, peart,

as for queen? my favourite - yes. - best ? - NO!!!
second to beatles or maybe third to floyd

go deo na hÉireann
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 09, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

robyns wrote:

I happen to think Brian May is the best guitar player and not because I love Queen.  I love Brian's style of guitar playing, making every little solo fit perfectly within the song.  He might not play fast and/or difficult stuff but it is certainly difficult to match his sound.

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 09, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

you're serious aren't you? i can tell. but still delusional and blinkered.

The reason Roger has climbed to no2, is because idiots make comments like "i'll vote for Roger daily"...how fucking absurd....what ever happened to "one man - one vote" ?

these polls mean f**k-all because of idiots who flood the boards...this poll and others like it have as much cred as GW Bush's "winning election" campaign...

i know this is all subjective...but how can vote count form people who "only ever listen/buy music by one band"?
but here' my subjective opinion

Brian is probably (at best)f5th or 6th best guitarist..behind.....page, blackmore, gilmour, rhoads, scholtz, townend, lifeson
Deacy - way behind, entwhistle, hughes, glover and waters
freddie keyboard skills? - maybe after elton, rick wright, jon lord
and poor old roger?....way way behind....paice, moon, cozy powell, bonham, peart,

as for queen? my favourite - yes. - best ? - NO!!!
second to beatles or maybe third to floyd

You don't decide who is best and where certain musician's belong.  It's all a matter of opinion.  Neil Peart is the best in my opinion while Cozy Powell is the best in someone else's opinion.