forum rss feed
Author

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Apr 09, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just listening to Sweet Lady live at Hyde Park: this song rocks.

That is all.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 09, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 09, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont mind the song at all. Its not the best song by a long chalk, but its certainly not the worst. I think what puts some people off is its unusual time signature (at least for a rock song). If memory serves me correctly its in 6/8 time and not your standard 4/4. Its this that some people cant get to grips with.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 09, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song is good. I stand in its defense fighting side by side with you. lol  

Yara
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 09, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

6/8 isn't an unusual time signature (neither for rock nor for other genres). It's not 'the most usual' but it's not unusual at all. Is India an underpopulated country just because it's not the top one?

15/16 is an unusual time signature.
7/8, 7/4, 15/4... but not 6/8

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Hugowan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 09, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet lady! Great song to play. Roger's rolling across the toms are joyful.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 09, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think what's a bit unusual is that it's a heavy riff based rock song in that time signature but it doesn't mean it's unique or special in any way. That doesn't save the song at all but IMO the worst thing about it are the lyrics.

"You call me sweet like I'm some kind of cheese waiting on the shelf" is on par with some of the worst lyrics in TCR. I cringe every time I hear it.

I kinda imagine Freddie waiting until the very last second before recording that vocal bit and asking Brian: "REALLY? Frickin' Cheese?". :D

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the song is ok, but is my least favorite on a night at the opera.  The song has some weak lryics, but who gives a rats ass about that. Queen were never about writing the greatest lryics anyway.  I'm in love with my car anyone?....Also,  the chorus sounds a bit messy.  All in all, it's not a bad song.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 01:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's really not that great a song.  Fantastic performance by the band, but Freddie's overdubs are pretty sloppy.  Naturally, they sound better in context as overdubs.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song is pretty cool. Always makes me want to go to the kitchen and 'cut some cheese' LoL!!! HA HA HA HA!!!

But really, the song isn't my favorite, but there's a lot of other Queen song's I enjoy less. I personally have no problem with the song, except that the lyrics are not catchy, nor are they sophisticated, and that is a problem for a lot of people.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Pandy Legend user not visiting Queenzone.com
Pandy Legend
Champion: 79 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not a huge fan of SL, but it does work very well live - much better than the studio version IMO.

Hmm - a song in 15/16 time - now that I'd like to hear.

;-P
August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

I dont mind the song at all. Its not the best song by a long chalk, but its certainly not the worst. I think what puts some people off is its unusual time signature (at least for a rock song). If memory serves me correctly its in 6/8 time and not your standard 4/4. Its this that some people cant get to grips with.

I'm In Love With My Car is in 6/8 and it's a great rock song. WATC and  Winter's Tale are also in 6/8. Obviously time signature alone doesn't explain why this song is not appreciated.

Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 191 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 04:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

August R. wrote:

Mr Mercury wrote:

I'm In Love With My Car is in 6/8 and it's a great rock song. WATC and  Winter's Tale are also in 6/8. Obviously time signature alone doesn't explain why this song is not appreciated.

Isnt WATC in 3/4?

You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

6/8 isn't an unusual time signature (neither for rock nor for other genres). It's not 'the most usual' but it's not unusual at all. Is India an underpopulated country just because it's not the top one?

15/16 is an unusual time signature.
7/8, 7/4, 15/4... but not 6/8

6/8 is about the 3rd most common time signature (after 4/4 and 8/8) in popular music, and probably the 4th most common in folk and jazz (after 2/4, 4/4 and 8/8). In fact, it's used more often than the ironically better known 3/4 (waltz time).

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Daniel vZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 793 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet Lady is in 3/4 (BM said so himself in the ANATO-making of).
Songs like We Are The Champions, I'm In Love With My Car and Somebody To Love (and others) are 6/8 timing.

I actually do like Sweet Lady, but the music more than the lyrics.

"If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die".

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it all comes down to taste and personally i cant stand the song [its that cheese line] but then again i am listening and singing along to a LibertyX song at the mo so what do i know...
i shall now go back to my darkened corner of the room :-p

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

August R. wrote:

Mr Mercury wrote:

What I meant by the time signature quote is that its not a time signature that most rock audiences can dance to (if you can call headbanging a dance - lol) because there is "something not quite right". Dave Brubeck is a classic example of writing a song that doesnt fit normal dance signatures. His most famous song, Take Five, is in 5/4 time. He himself said something along the line of that song being one that traditional style dancers couldnt cope with because there was an extra beat in the bar. Its like it throws them out of step.

Maybe this explains at least one theory as to why SL isnt enjoyed as much by us Queen fans, although like I said I do like the song.

Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:

it all comes down to taste and personally i cant stand the song [its that cheese line] but then again i am listening and singing along to a LibertyX song at the mo so what do i know...
i shall now go back to my darkened corner of the room :-p

Joxer, werent you also listening to Baccara or the Nolans a couple of weeks back?

dbruce user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 163 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Debauchery wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of SL, but it does work very well live - much better than the studio version IMO.

Hmm - a song in 15/16 time - now that I'd like to hear.

I'm sure there's a 15/16 song on Biffy Clyro's Puzzle album. And I've got a feeling it might actually be called 15. Been a while since I've listened mind you.

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 09, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song is great as all Queen early songs are. I can`t imagine the album without this song.