Forums > Queen - General Discussion > ............i'm influenced by Freddie Mercury / Queen

forum rss feed
Author

Rock It user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Influenced by...........

Whats up these days with all the new artists who say they are influenced by Queen and especially Freddie Mercury? Somehow Queen is more recognized and appreciated for their music and showmanship then they ever were. People who love(d) Queen in their heydays must remember, that saying that you were a Queen-fan, some people responded like, "well, then you must be gay"!

Nowadays we seem to be past that (not in all country's) but somehow it is very cool to say that you have been influenced by this band called Queen.The artists admiring Queen are also very diverse in background. Even though most of those artists referring to Queen weren't born when Queen was alive and well. I mean people even are naming them self after one of their songs, "Lady Ga Ga" (i must say i like "Poker face").

Artists who say they were influenced or one of their influences is/are Queen.
 
Kate Perry
Pink
Mika
Franz Ferdinand
Coldplay
Kaiser Chiefs
Robbie Williams
Green Day
Celine Dion
etc.
The list goes on and on.... 

Don't get me wrong, i think it's great that Queen finally gets recognized and loved for their outstanding music, live performances and just sheer fun (something we "gay" fans already knew)!

What are your thoughts on this?



Fun It
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4684 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Rock It wrote:

Influenced by...........

Whats up these days with all the new artists who say they are influenced by Queen and especially Freddie Mercury? Somehow Queen is more recognized and appreciated for their music and showmanship then they ever were. People who love(d) Queen in their heydays must remember, that saying that you were a Queen-fan, some people responded like, "well, then you must be gay"!

Nowadays we seem to be past that (not in all country's) but somehow it is very cool to say that you have been influenced by this band called Queen.The artists admiring Queen are also very diverse in background. Even though most of those artists referring to Queen weren't born when Queen was alive and well. I mean people even are naming them self after one of their songs, "Lady Ga Ga" (i must say i like "Poker face").

Artists who say they were influenced or one of their influences is/are Queen.
 
Kate Perry
Pink
Mika
Franz Ferdinand
Coldplay
Kaiser Chiefs
Robbie Williams
Green Day
Celine Dion
etc.
The list goes on and on.... 

Don't get me wrong, i think it's great that Queen finally gets recognized and loved for their outstanding music, live performances and just sheer fun (something we "gay" fans already knew)!

What are your thoughts on this?



I used to be of the opinion that very few quality bands or artists covered Queen songs and that might be an indication of how high (or low) the cream of rock bands held Queen. After all, many quality artists have covered Bob Dylan songs and he is obviously held in high esteem by other musicians. The list you posted doesn't change my opinion much, but more generally, hearing positive comments by the likes of Dave Grohl and Metallica have made me rethink that.






"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are they really influenced by Freddie?  Because the music sucks.  It is about as un-Freddie as can be.

Maybe it just because it is now "chic" to latch on to the gay.  It's arguably the fastest growing demographic.

What's next?  Being from Canada?

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6246 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Being influenced by" and "sounding like" are two entirely different things in music. I am inspired by, amongst others, Rachmaninov and Debussy. But does my music sound like them? Not at all.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, that's a pretty broad paintbrush, then, TQ.  So does that mean if I wrote a song while I was thinking about hot man-on-man action at Freddie's birthday party with one of the midgets, then I guess I was inspired by Freddie?

Actually, I wasn't trying to say that those artists don't "sound" like Freddie.  I just think Freddie would dismiss it as rubbish like the rest of us should.  Katie Perry?  Celine Dion?  Give me a break.

the prophetess user not visiting Queenzone.com
the prophetess
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses should be added to that list.

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



the prophetess wrote:

Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses should be added to that list.
Indeed! One of my favourite singers, he is definitely one brilliant artist that that Queen can take (part) credit for.








Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Axl Rose is the only one in that list that makes honor to Queen...just because he is a "real" fan as we all are...imo!


Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

for example "Street of Dreams" from Chinese Democracy is a very Queenish song...the same for "This  love"....


demonwolf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

totally agree.

queen ll is axls favourite record. and in the early nineties he even tried to find a doctor that could save freddie, but it was too late.



mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok, this is a Joke.  People who posted above me don't know shit.  All the biggest bands of the 80's till today were influenced by queen in one way or another, and no matter what the so called queenmoaners say wont change that.  yes, the pop singers were influenced by queen,   but so were guns and roses, green day, metallica, def lepperd, van halen,  foo fighters/nirvana, motely crew, the cars, tool, dream theater....   Also,  early Judas priest, Iron maiden, death angel.  Ok, now what!....come on I'm waiting.  Queen are one of the few bands that influenced a wide range of music.  Black sabbath and Judas priest/Iron maiden were a huge influence to hard rock metal,  but queen's influence was much wider.    Holly,  how old are you?....are you aware of the freddie tribute concert?

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ouch!!!

Mike Hunt seems very touchy today.  You shouldn't mess with Mike Hunt. 
I wonder what got Mike Hunt all excited today?  Perhaps I've abused Mike Hunt too much.

But if I seriously think Iron Maiden was influenced by Queen or vice versa, I would be talking out Mike Hunt.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Just talk facts mr. microwave,  Most people on this site don't.  If you don't know what your talking about don't write nothing.  If you say queen wern't a huge influence you don't know what your saying, it's up to us older guys to set them straight.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you still listen to Iron Maiden, then maybe you shouldn't be making musical observations.

You're giving us "old guys" a bad reputation.

Death Angel?  C'mon dude, grow out of the Satan Is My Savior crap already. 
It was just a way to sell records and you fell for it.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ha ha,  That's a low blow mr. microwave.    Iron maiden will always be a part of me,  it's what I listened to as a kid along with priest, death angel, slayer and the rest.   Oh by the way, sarah brightman also mentioned queen as one of her biggest influence, tori amos is another one.  That's what I'm trying to say, even a slow guy like microwave should understand what I'm trying to get at.  What's wrong with maiden?....their fom our generation.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4684 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fanny biscuits. double post.







"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4684 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



Holly2003 wrote:



 



 



 



 



mike hunt wrote:



 



ok, this is a Joke.  People who posted above me don't know shit.  All the biggest bands of the 80's till today were influenced by queen in one way or another, and no matter what the so called queenmoaners say wont change that.  yes, the pop singers were influenced by queen,   but so were guns and roses, green day, metallica, def lepperd, van halen,  foo fighters/nirvana, motely crew, the cars, tool, dream theater....   Also,  early Judas priest, Iron maiden, death angel.  Ok, now what!....come on I'm waiting.  Queen are one of the few bands that influenced a wide range of music.  Black sabbath and Judas priest/Iron maiden were a huge influence to hard rock metal,  but queen's influence was much wider.    Holly,  how old are you?....are you aware of the freddie tribute concert?



 



Freddie Tribute Concert? Wasn't that when a bunch of 'has beens' and 'never was's came out of the woodwork to murder Brian May songs?

Anyway. I don't claim that my opinion is correct, only that it's my opinion. I've been a  queen fan since around 1979, but I rocked out to BoRap when it first came out: is that old enough for you? And while yor in question-answering mood, maybe you could provide a list of Queen songs covered by decent bands before Freddie died?












"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

holly again showing ingorance. Metallica was in their prime, GNR was in their prime.  Lepperd were in their prime, seal and george micheal were in their prime. Bowie, plant, daltry are some of the biggest stars of their generation. How old are you holly?

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

before freddie died?...why before freddie died?.....the bottom line is that under pressure, stone cold crazy, sheer heart attack, bo rhap (dream theater) live GNR, tool, foo fighters, def lepperd, lol.  Sarah brightman (who wants to live forever) liza (champions) celen dion (tsmgo) diana ross (cltcl).   their influence is bigger now than it ever was. Soemtimes you don't know what you have till it's gone.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4684 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

v


 



mike hunt wrote:



before freddie died?...why before freddie died?.....the bottom line is that under pressure, stone cold crazy, sheer heart attack, bo rhap (dream theater) live GNR, tool, foo fighters, def lepperd, lol.  Sarah brightman (who wants to live forever) liza (champions) celen dion (tsmgo) diana ross (cltcl).   their influence is bigger now than it ever was. Soemtimes you don't know what you have till it's gone.






Because when Queen were an ongoing band, from 1973 to the mid 1980s, hardly anyone of note said they were influenced by Queen and few if any bands of note covered any of their songs. On the other hand, as I said earlier, Bob Dylan songs have been covered by a huge range of artists, many of them well-respected.

Maybe it is the case that "Soemtimes you don't know what you have till it's gone" - in fact, I would probably agree with that to a large extent. However, if you're as old as you say you are, then you're probably aware that Queen were never a very fashionable band among journalists or other musicians and that a lot of their popularity came in the wake of Freddie's much-publicised death.

It's good to see bands like Metallica acknowledge Queen as an influence. But then again, I said that earlier, in among all the other err.. "shit"



"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)