Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Interesting fact

forum rss feed
Author

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read with interest that Brian had to resort to using another (unnamed) guitar and amp to record the solo on 'Hero' due to his guitar being in Munich while he was in London

This must have been one of the very few times he used something other than the Red Special

Others being..and please add if you remember more than me


Crazy Little Thing
Mother Love
Long Away



"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 05:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Togg wrote:

I read with interest that Brian had to resort to using another (unnamed) guitar and amp to record the solo on 'Hero' due to his guitar being in Munich while he was in London

This must have been one of the very few times he used something other than the Red Special

Others being..and please add if you remember more than me


Crazy Little Thing
Mother Love
Long Away

Except there is no solo on The Hero. Unless you are talking about the album version which sounds so much like the red special I would put money on it.








"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Check out Brian's soapbox, he talks about it


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Togg wrote:

Check out Brian's soapbox, he talks about it



Well colour me gobsmacked. The melodic solo at the end of The Hero sounds incredibly like the Red Special. I wonder is Brian hallucinating?





"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Holly2003 wrote:



 



Togg wrote:



Check out Brian's soapbox, he talks about it




Well colour me gobsmacked. The melodic solo at the end of the album version of The Hero sounds incredibly like the Red Special. I wonder is Brian hallucinating?












"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And what about the "hidden" (or something like that...) familiar piece on "the wedding march"??.. I dont know what he´s talking about...




Queen rocks!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha, he probably meant the white one.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Holly2003 wrote:



 



Holly2003 wrote:



 



 



 



 



Togg wrote:



 



Check out Brian's soapbox, he talks about it



 




Well colour me gobsmacked. The melodic solo at the end of the album version of The Hero sounds incredibly like the Red Special. I wonder is Brian hallucinating?









As the piece says the red secial was in Germany at the time. The guitar he picked up to play the solo was probably (and I´m just guessing here) a Sunburst Satalite Start copy as featured in the PLAY THE GAME video. The time line seems correct, the Play the game vid was recorded in the UK in May 80 - around the same time as work on flash was finishing. Does sound like the red special though. However Brian usually ends up sounding like Brian whatever the equipment combination...








Big Fish
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's not a strat solo. Doesn't sound remotely like one. It's far more likely that the riff on The Hero was played on a different guitar, not the solo. Brian may be being a bit careless with words or maybe his memory is failing. Or maybe my ears are painted on.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Bigfish wrote:



 



Holly2003 wrote:



 



 



 



 



Holly2003 wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Togg wrote:



 



 



 



Check out Brian's soapbox, he talks about it



 



 



 




Well colour me gobsmacked. The melodic solo at the end of the album version of The Hero sounds incredibly like the Red Special. I wonder is Brian hallucinating?









As the piece says the red secial was in Germany at the time. The guitar he picked up to play the solo was probably (and I´m just guessing here) a Sunburst Satalite Start copy as featured in the PLAY THE GAME video. The time line seems correct, the Play the game vid was recorded in the UK in May 80 - around the same time as work on flash was finishing. Does sound like the red special though. However Brian usually ends up sounding like Brian whatever the equipment combination...








Trust me it wasn't, that was the first guitar I ever bought it was £60 new and total crap... There is NO way Brian would have used it to play anything, the reason it was used in the Play the game video was that it didn't matter if they dropped it.






"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As a matter of fact there's no solo in 'The Hero', and the (marvellous) melodic lead is actually a variation of 'Flash', which probably came from an earlier session (as well as the high 'ah-AH' near the explosion), and it's indeed very obviously the Red Special.

Brian probably mistook it for the rhythm guitar (note that 'The Hero' sounds very different on stage - you can tell it's the same guitarist but on a different instrument).

And of course he's quoting Chopin...



John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote































Sebastian wrote:















it's indeed very obviously the Red Special.














Most of a guitarist's sound is in his hands - especially with a feel player like Brian.  If you give him an SG plugged into a Marshall, he's still gonna sound like Brian.

Myself, I can achieve a very similar tone playing a Les Paul through a Fender twin.




"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote







Sir GH wrote:



















Sebastian wrote:







it's indeed very obviously the Red Special.






Most of a guitarist's sound is in his hands - especially with a feel player like Brian.  If you give him an SG plugged into a Marshall, he's still gonna sound like Brian.

Myself, I can achieve a very similar tone playing a Les Paul through a Fender twin.


Yes, I'm sure Dr May still sounds like him on any guitar with any amp (e.g. the Ibanez on 'BttL'). But that particular solo is still

indeed very obviously (recorded with) the Red Special.

It makes much more sense that Brian confused the 'non-RS' part, considering:

- The rhythm guitar on The Hero sounds very much like same guitarist but different guitar (compared with live).
- The solo in question is actually a Flash Gordon reprise, rather than The Hero
- The Hero was, reportedly, a new song, while Flash had already been done (thus justifying the whole 'rushing session' in the first place)
- This wouldn't be the first or the last time Dr May makes a mistake

This last argument doesn't mean we've *got to* doubt *everything* Brian says, but indeed establishes a precedent: if he said My Fairy King was on 'Queen II' (only an album apart from where it really belonged), Master-Stroke had been done at Wessex (again, Wessex were used one year later), Fred hadn't used Steinway... it IS possible that he mistook the solo for the rhythm bit, as they're both in the same album track (though technically not the same song), and that possibility turns bigger when you think about the fact that the solo, is, again, indeed very obviously (recorded with) the Red Special.



John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you a guitarist?

Have you tried to achieve the same tone with different configurations of gear?




"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am a guitarist, but I have never tried to achieve that tone. There would be no sense in lying about it.

Brian's sound is 99% in his hands, but that 1% left would still be noticeable (however briefly) on a solo like that (and that's what happens with Mother Love, for instance, or Nothin' But Blue). That Flash Reprise solo lacks that 1%, while the rhythm guitar on The Hero (and Battle Theme, which is probably the same BT anyway) doesn't.

I'm not saying it's impossible to sound like the RS using a different guitar and amp, and I'm not saying Bri never did it. I'm positive, though, that if Brian ever played a melodic solo like that using a different guitar, it was not there. It's much more possible that he simply misremembered, and The Hero (rhythm guitar) was the one he'd done with different gear.



John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fair enough.

Then why don't you ask him if it was in fact the rhythm guitar he's referring to?




"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I already did ;)

I just hope he answers - I didn't mention any flowers so my chances are slim.



John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very informative thread and discussions. I have no knowledge at all to comment on what's been posted, but I'm sure learning quite a lot.

Keep rocking, guys!

It's really great.

I wish you the best and take care.


Yara
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 09, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote




Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 May 09, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Sebastian wrote:

I am a guitarist, but I have never tried to achieve that tone. There would be no sense in lying about it.

Brian's sound is 99% in his hands, but that 1% left would still be noticeable (however briefly) on a solo like that (and that's what happens with Mother Love, for instance, or Nothin' But Blue). That Flash Reprise solo lacks that 1%, while the rhythm guitar on The Hero (and Battle Theme, which is probably the same BT anyway) doesn't.

I'm not saying it's impossible to sound like the RS using a different guitar and amp, and I'm not saying Bri never did it. I'm positive, though, that if Brian ever played a melodic solo like that using a different guitar, it was not there. It's much more possible that he simply misremembered, and The Hero (rhythm guitar) was the one he'd done with different gear.

Arrrh Nothing but Blue.... I knew there was another one
Also Runaway where he used a Strat!








"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"