Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Q&PR officially over.

forum rss feed
Author

kirkpatrickuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 09, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A snippet of a Paul Rodgers interview on www.brianmay.com seems to confirm this folks!

The next time Rodgers tours, it probably won’t be with Queen. After spending a lot of time with them the past couple years, it seems he’s amicable parted ways with the legendary group.

“Well, you know, we did a world tour, we did a second tour of Europe and the Far East and Eastern Europe and we did a studio album and I think we’re kind of leaving it there gently. It’s out there for us to do things in the future if there’s something, a huge charity say like Nelson Mandela, I’m always open to that, but I think we are pretty much done.”

So, I wonder what will happen next? GVH3 hopefully!! ;)

new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yea just saw that on BM website myself, shame really as I enjoyed the whole QPR  project having never seen them live with the original line up.

Whats next ? Who knows, I don't think I want them to go out with yet another singer, maybe just leave it there. I suppose this was always the problem of bringing someone else in or joining forces with another name like PR. It means that someone else from outside the band can really decide when to pull the plug on Queen as it were. I realise we don't know if it was Paul who wanted out or if they all got a bit fed up but I wouldn't like to think that Brian and Roger wanted to do some more and Paul Rodgers has essentially but an end to Queen as a live act.

Anyway, shame as I was hoping to bring my little boy to see them next time(he loves them) as he was still a little young last year so i was hoping for some 2010 dates.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope Brian and Roger comment on this now and finnally say something....

Shame it's over, enjoyed it a lot

What next????

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! I didn't saw that one coming!
Oh wait, I did.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What was that Hives-song again?
...Hate to say I told you so...

It was a fun thing, I enjoyed it a lot - but I feel that this was now the best decision they could make.
I was a big supporter of QPR, but after the album and the last tour I realy had the feeling that it would be better that they called it a day.

Just hope (and assume) that BM and RT will not go on with another or a collection of different singers.

Time do finally do something with the archives.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hopefully this'll revive Roger's solo career.  Recent comment regarding a potential solo / The Cross box set was really exciting.  Perhaps some exciting new songs to continue on from where Electric Fire left off?  Let's hope so.

Brian - well, he'll continue to bore us with stereo pictures of plants and the moon.  And he'll also spout on about how bad everyone in the world is other than him and how he doesn;t like signing autographs any more.

QPL will do what they like as they always have done.

Que cera cera.....

Benn
mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn,

Very well said................

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
glentoran user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to admit I'm kind of glad it is at an end.

The live shows were good...but I'm sorry the album was very weak with only a few real quality tracks...to me and many others it just wasn't Queen.

I think its maybe time to call it a day..OR coax John Deacon back for one more studio album...there must be a lot of unreleased Queen songs that could be covered.

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw Q+PR 2 times. Enjoyed the live shows, but have to admit I'm glad it's finally over. Paul just hasn't the natural position to entertain people. His voice didn't suit the songs of Freddie. Just look at the parts Roger and Brian sang, they sang almost more together as Paul used to do on the live gigs

I bought TCR but only listened to it once. It's now lying somewhere in the back of my attic.

Good thing this is over. Maybe Jeff Scott Soto would fit the bill?????

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenman!! wrote:

Maybe Jeff Scott Soto would fit the bill?????

NO !!! PLEASE, NO !!!!

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
paul rodgers 39611 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, there's always www.paulrodgerszone.com...

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I don't understand is that people who say they enjoyed the shows are glad that it's over. I've been to five shows in 2005 and 8 in 2008 - and each show got better and better IMO. I really hoped the experience of them recording together and being creative and all would lead to a new collaborative album in 2010 or beyond.

I always thought of QPR as a win-win situation. Brian and Roger can go out and play the music they created, Paul can make a 'quick' buck and perform for huge crowds which he probably doesn't get anywhere in the world as a solo-artist. But it seems that QPR was just another addition to Paul's list of bands he was in... 

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should just re-form Smile with Tim Staffael, to be honest. I'd buy all their albums and singles!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree!!! I'd like to see Smile re-form and give Staffell the chance to get out there and play with Roger and Brian then all three will have come full circle. It might be kind of fun actually!

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah.  Tim Staffel.  That's who we want to see. 

We could dig up Gregg Rolie to play keys and John Rutsey to play drums when Roger sings.  Maybe Peter Banks could take over for Jamie Moses this time around.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thank god that snore fest is over,  surf's up....queens out.

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shame. 
I hope at least they'll invite another singer in a year or two, tour without a guest singer or simply bring their solo careers back to life. It was fun hearing new songs by them and it was fun seeing them live in Rio.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I´m pretty satisfied I could see live at least once,but what else did you expect from Q+PR?debute album was not great,didn´t sell good,it took them like 3 years to finish it and it would take 3 more to end a second one,the shows were 90% Queen songs,it would have been very boring to listen to PR singing all Queen anthem till 2015,they are more like a Queen tribute band,they can move ahead,I would like a The Cross re-union or new solo albums instead.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think its a shame it is over - we may never see Brian and Roger playing a Queen set together again :(

Brian has stated often that part of the reason they toured again was they found a singer they felt right.

Maybe Robbie will take over lead vocals as Take That haverejected him ;-)

Keep Good Company
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 01 May 09, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

What I don't understand is that people who say they enjoyed the shows are glad that it's over. I've been to five shows in 2005 and 8 in 2008 - and each show got better and better IMO. I really hoped the experience of them recording together and being creative and all would lead to a new collaborative album in 2010 or beyond.

I always thought of QPR as a win-win situation. Brian and Roger can go out and play the music they created, Paul can make a 'quick' buck and perform for huge crowds which he probably doesn't get anywhere in the world as a solo-artist. But it seems that QPR was just another addition to Paul's list of bands he was in... 

I went to see them 10 times in 2005, twice in 2006 and 5 times in 2008.

The first time round it was wonderfull and I was one of the fans that immediately was very excited and supportive about them teaming up with PR - who I still regard highly as a vocalist.

It was absolutely fantastic that now everybody got the chance to see Brian and Roger perform together and hear them play some of the Queen cathalogue live with a decent throat behind them that could do justice to the material. (I feel I need to mention btw that I felt the Free/BC songs always the highlights of the shows! As for performance they pulled off those songs SO very well - whereas the Queen songs most of the time lacked something - let alone that I regret that they played a collection of my least favourite songs...) Also it gave Queenfans the oppertunity to experience something lots of them had never experienced before: what it is like to go 'on tour' with your absolute number one band. Which is a sensational thing!

But if TCR and the following tour is the best they can come up with AFTER that, it is just better to not continue.
It would have been a dream come true if the album had been great - which it definately was not. (I'm not saying it was dreadfull, by the way - it just was not up to parr with what you may expect from these musicians). After that came the tour that saw largely (the same) repetitive setlist and some very, very uninspired performances. Both musically as in the way they expressed themselves on stage. It was very obvious (both on stage as backstage) that they were no unity anymore and some elements of the band just took eachother for granted. (Although I have to agree that indeed technically they got stronger and stronger - but technique realy is not everything in a concert situation.)

After seeing a handfull of shows on the last tour I just realy had that feeling that it had been enough for me. It was fun for what it was - a unique experience - but i was no longer exited about it. This was the moment that QPR was more and more a 'new band', which is fine - but contrary to their first time around it them came down to the fact that I am a QUEEN fan - and this was not Queen.

I COULD have been a QPR fan potentially, because I also was a PR fan long before they teamed up - but If there is no more excitement, creativity and inspiration within that band then what they showed last time around, (which was for that matter a downward line instead of the upward one you need to stay interesting) there is realy no use for me to keep on hoping they will continue together. 

I have absolutely no regrets - also not about the shows I saw on the last tour - but I would hate so see this anti-climaxing even further. I want to stick to the good memories. Which I have LOTS from all three tours and I treasure them.