Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Uncredited musicians playing on Queen albums

forum rss feed
Author

boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 May 09, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, here we go. It's well known fact that there were some uncredited musicians that played on Queen albums. Does anybody know who was that, on which albums that happened, and any circumstances that led to that situation? Thanks

I think I'm banana tree...
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 09 May 09, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who says it's a well known fact?

I can't see any evidence on the sleevenotes...

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 09 May 09, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Album by album:

- Queen Debut: There's an uncredited organ (Liar) that could have or could have not been played by the band. I do suspect the band here, because it's also on the demo (suggesting it was an idea by the band and not the staff - btw if you think I copied this from Wikipedia, I was the one who wrote that there in the first place)

- Queen II: Uncredited crew singing I Do Like to Be Beside the Seaside (also omitted in the credits, they forgot to mention its composer) at the end of Seven Seas of Rhye.

- Sheer Heart Attack & A Night at the Opera: None whatsoever.

- A Day at the Races: Uncredited crew singing the final chorus on Teo Torriatte.

- News of the World: Uncredited crew singing and clapping We Will Rock You.

- Jazz: Uncredited people speaking at the end of Let Me Entertain You.

- The Game: Mack played some keyboards (Rock It, for instance).

- Flash Gordon: The sleeve doesn't mention which is the orchestra playing (they do mention the conductor, but not the name of the ensemble). I also suspect (but can't prove) Mack played a synth or too.

- Hot Space: The horns on Staying Power were produced by Arif Mardin, but it doesn't say who played them (or the name of the brass ensemble or whatever). There's a relatively well-known rumour that David Richards played keyboards (piano? organ? synth?) on Under Pressure, it could easily be true and it could easily be false. Reportedly, Bowie played keys and percussion there as well, which isn't mentioned on the credits.

- The Works: I doubt so.

- A Kind of Magic: The orchestra playing on Who Wants to Live Forever is credited, but not the one playing on One Year of Love (only the conductor is mentioned).

- The Miracle: David Richards played a sampled bass on Scandal.

- Innuendo: David Richards programmed the orchestra on Innuendo, the conga percussion on Days of Our Lives and the keyboard sequence on I Can't Live With You.

- Made in Heaven: David Richards co-programmed the keyboards on My Life Has Been Saved.

Now, according to what Peter Hince once told me, percussion tasks (e.g. tambourines, maracas, handclaps, footstomps) were often taken by whoever was around in the moment (including roadies, producers, engineers, teaboys, girlfriends, acquaintances) and they didn't bother to mention every little thing on the credits. An exception (and that's me speaking, not Mr Hince) is of course Who Needs You, where Brian's credited for maracas and Freddie for cowbell.

But then again, many of the percussion overdubs that don't require too much skill (e.g. the clapping on Crazy Little Thing) could have been recorded by anybody inside or outside Queen. When it comes to vocals, I suppose most of them were done by themselves, with certain exceptions (and though I can't prove it, I suspect the end of Rock It is one of them).

Oh, and by the way, the fact we 'can't see any evidence on the sleevenotes' is precisely the reason why those are uncredited musicians playing on Queen albums.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 09 May 09, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Who says it's a well known fact?

I can't see any evidence on the sleevenotes...

Presumably you WERE joking with that comment?

Penetration_Guru

Posted: 09 May 09, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to confirm whether I was joking?????

Idiots..

On the horns, Sebastian - what are the chances that they're performed on a synth to Mardin's arrangement?

Sebastian

Posted: 10 May 09, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd never thought about it. Very interesting observation.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now this isn't on the album, but who blows the whistle during Hammer To Fall at Live Aid? That would of been cool on the studio version.

I remember I did a good mix a few years back and posted it on this site, a mix of the album version of Hammer To Fall with the Live Aid intro, and some other edits/additions as well.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Uncredited crew singing and clapping We Will Rock You."

I only heard this recently, but is it possible John sang on this one? I hear him or at least someone who has a voice like his.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet Insanity wrote:

Now this isn't on the album, but who blows the whistle during Hammer To Fall at Live Aid? That would of been cool on the studio version.

I remember I did a good mix a few years back and posted it on this site, a mix of the album version of Hammer To Fall with the Live Aid intro, and some other edits/additions as well.

I think John blew the whistle.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

- The Works: I doubt so.

That was a case of the 'Uncredited Demo Button'.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3038 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting that David Richards programmed the congas on .Days Of Our Lives;  as a Roger composition I'd always assumed that they may have retained his original loops from his demo version (presuming that he did them on that).

Do we know, or think, that Josh Macrae may have played anything like percussion, or programmed stuff on Made In Heaven??

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

Interesting that David Richards programmed the congas on .Days Of Our Lives;  as a Roger composition I'd always assumed that they may have retained his original loops from his demo version (presuming that he did them on that).

Do we know, or think, that Josh Macrae may have played anything like percussion, or programmed stuff on Made In Heaven??

Congas are notoriously difficult to record (as are many percussion instruments), so its unlikely that any percussion on his demo would've been of sufficient audio quality to use in the final mix.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Penetration_Guru

Posted: 10 May 09, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

On the horns, Sebastian - what are the chances that they're performed on a synth to Mardin's arrangement?

A further thought - werent't they "Arranged & produced" by AM?  in which case the chances are he's performed them too.

Sebastian

Posted: 10 May 09, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John on WWRY: Yes, he may theoretically be there, as well as tons of other people.

Days of Our Lives: The fact Roger composed it doesn't mean he did a demo by himself. It could've easily been first demo'd in the studio with the whole band, and (sampled) congas could've been overdubbed later, intro could've been different at first, etc.

Josh Macrae on MIH: Good point. Hard to prove, though, but still a possibility, particularly on Heaven for Everyone.

Percussion on DooL: By 1990, technology was more than enough to record HQ percussion instruments, but for that particular case, it was a hell of a lot easier, cheaper and faster to simply programme a track of sampled congas. Rain Must Fall is also mostly sampled stuff.

Arif Mardin was a multi-skilled man: he had loads of great abilities, but playing instruments wasn't one of them. He always had people around him to record his arrangements and he concentrated on conducting them. Plus, he favoured live performances, which makes me almost certain that the horns were done 'live' and simultaneously. Putting all of that together, I can assure that the 3-4 horn parts that are there were done by some sort of house band he had in his Sterling Sound studio in New York. I expect we could get some names by looking at contemporary album credits (e.g. Chaka Khan).

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who plays the damn harmonica, clarinet, cello, and violin on It's A Hard Life???

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Sebastian

Posted: 10 May 09, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet Insanity wrote:

Who plays the damn harmonica, clarinet, cello, and violin on It's A Hard Life???

There's no harmonica, clarinet, cello or violin on It's a Hard Life.

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Sebastian, having listened to Rock it this morning, I'm interested to hear who you think the voices that at aren't Queen come from.  To me, I think it's a case of being used to Freddie being in the mix which is odd for BV's that changes what I'm used to hearing.

victor fleitas user not visiting Queenzone.com
victor fleitas
Bohemian: 209 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Roy Thomas Baker Sings the "6 7 8 9 oclock" part of good old fashioned lover boy... but i think he is credited... xD

Sebastian

Posted: 10 May 09, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rock It: I've got no idea. It could be anybody: producers, engineers, or just a band member breathing differently or having a cold.

Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy: It's Mike Stone, and it's not the counting, but 'hey boy...'. Roy Thomas Baker didn't take part on that album. '...o'clock' is by Freddie.

victor fleitas user not visiting Queenzone.com
victor fleitas
Bohemian: 209 posts

Posted: 10 May 09, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Rock It: I've got no idea. It could be anybody: producers, engineers, or just a band member breathing differently or having a cold.

Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy: It's Mike Stone, and it's not the counting, but 'hey boy...'. Roy Thomas Baker didn't take part on that album. '...o'clock' is by Freddie.

Yeah! your right! thanks for the correction... I remember I read that somewhere a couple of years ago...