Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Dream Theater covering Queen on their new album!

forum rss feed
Author

Stephan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 May 09, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.amazon.com/Tenement-Funster-Flick-Valley-Version/dp/B002A6PK3O

It's real! Dream Theater have re-recorded Tenement Funster, Flick Of The Wrist and Lily Of The Valley.

The songs will be released on a bonus disc on their forthcoming album, which is called "Black Clouds & Silver Linings". The bonus disc will also include a cover version of "Stargazer" by Rainbow. You can listen to this particular song on http://www.roccatune.com/de

Just use the search function and you'll find a stream of the song.

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 20 May 09, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stephan wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Tenement-Funster-Flick-Valley-Version/dp/B002A6PK3O

It's real! Dream Theater have re-recorded Tenement Funster, Flick Of The Wrist and Lily Of The Valley.

The songs will be released on a bonus disc on their forthcoming album, which is called "Black Clouds & Silver Linings". The bonus disc will also include a cover version of "Stargazer" by Rainbow. You can listen to this particular song on http://www.roccatune.com/de

Just use the search function and you'll find a stream of the song.

Yeah, I was reading wikipedia for news about their new album and on the page it said it would ship with a bonus disc of cover songs. Was really excited to see they would cover Queen and Rainbow... Don't care too much about Tenement Funster but it'll be cool to hear James LaBrie sing Flick Of The Wrist and Lily Of The Valley.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 20 May 09, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's never cool to hear James LaBrie sing anything since the Images and Words album, but I'm interested to hear how Petrucci works these out.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 21 May 09, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The sample sounds horrible :(

I've expected more of these guys :(

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1117 posts

Posted: 21 May 09, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To say these tracks are an 'interesting' choice, is an understatement.  I give them credit for what they've chosen. 

My favorite existing band covering my favorite all-time band.  Not sure if it will work or not (Queensryche's cover of 'Innuendo' failed miserably due to Geoff Tate's failing voice and some ot the arraingements).

Then again, if they perform it at one of the show's we'll be attending, we'll no doubt enjoy.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 21 May 09, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*goodco* wrote:

To say these tracks are an 'interesting' choice, is an understatement.  I give them credit for what they've chosen. 

My favorite existing band covering my favorite all-time band.  Not sure if it will work or not (Queensryche's cover of 'Innuendo' failed miserably due to Geoff Tate's failing voice and some ot the arraingements).

Then again, if they perform it at one of the show's we'll be attending, we'll no doubt enjoy.

Hi, *goodco*.

How are you doing?

Such great news! I fully agree with your post. I'd really love if you wrote more often on the website - all the posts written by you which I have read so far were just great. Take this, please, not as a request or demand, no!, but as a compliment. :-)))

Good to read you again and I hope I can get my hands on this one very, very soon! I have been receiving many wonderful tips by Queenzoners and whenever I go to the record store in the weekends I bring a little list along with the recommendations. The new one from Dream Theater for sure is going to feature in it! 

I hope there may be many discussions here about the album later on!

Thanks, I wish the best to you and your family and take care!

Yara   

Yara
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1117 posts

Posted: 22 May 09, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the compliments.

As GH wrote on the other thread recently, DT has already proven they can play a 10-15 minute track to perfection.  They do over-indulge a bit (understatement), which leads me to having to cut or fade out tracks for my listening enjoyment ('Misunderstood', 'Repentence', and 'Ministry of Lost Souls' come to mind.......and I wish they would have provided an instrumental for 'The Great Debate'......the broadcasting parts are totally unlistenable)

Wish I could come across their DC show from last year as a bootleg.  Pity they don't provide CDs at their shows, with the tracks played that night from live performances from previous shows.  They do provide their Dark Side Of The Moon and Made in Tokyo and other boots..............but I've got them.

If anyone can provide me the location from which I could obtain some of their boots, I'd appreciate it.  

I would also like to find live versions of 'Misunderstood', and the last two tracks from 'Six Degrees' (About To Crash reprise  and Grand Finale).  Live at Budokan had 'About to Crash' to 'Solitary Shell'.......in different parts, but I'd love the 'raw' final tracks other than the fantastic 'Score' versions.  

And that 'Misunderstood' would have been included on the 'Chaos' dvd.  The mood set by the lighting was terrific.  A shame that the whole release did not sound as full as the 'Ant Odyssey' intro, and that the crowd noise was so completely removed.  Took away from the feel of their shows.

To finish.........I wrote Mr May and his webmistress years ago about how I had hoped Brian would have done something along the lines of 'Six Degrees'.  Forget the pop and hopeful hit.......do something that shows off the talent, songwriting, guitar, etc..............never heard a reply.   Obviously, Cosmos Rocks did not have any hint of that style.

To close.........I know many who don't like James LaBrie's vocals, or think he has 'fallen' since the early days.  Well, think of what they've had him sing in recent years.  From a listener who grew up with Freddie, Dennis DeYoung, Steve Perry, Kevin Cronin.........lead singers who could SING.....he's not too shabby by any means.  Not on their level........but damn good, and he fits.  Glad he was with them for 'Scenes', 'Six Degrees', and 'Octavarium'.  Now if they'd just get rid of the cookie monster vocal crap, I'd be happy.

before anyone makes their snide comments about this being a Q and not a DT list, well, I wish I could find one.
But we'll be seeing the medley from Sheer Heart Attack performed soon, live, in person (we hope), so there's my Queen reference.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The broadcasting bit is exactly the same reason I can't stand Tool's "Third Eye"

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
AC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1838 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*goodco* wrote:

My favorite existing band covering my favorite all-time band. 

I think I'll agree with you here. One of the best news I've heard recently. Can't wait to hear them!

That time will come, one day you'll see that i'll be dead and you will laugh!
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DT are skilled but i have yet to hear 1 good catchy song by them.

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18455 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

They don't write catchy songs... with the possible exception of Pull Me Under, which was actually a moderate hit.

That said, who says their songs have to be catchy?  Are you suggesting that catchy hooks are the only thing that can make a song a good song?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2752 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

They don't write catchy songs... with the possible exception of Pull Me Under, which was actually a moderate hit.

That said, who says their songs have to be catchy?  Are you suggesting that catchy hooks are the only thing that can make a song a good song?

I knew you were gonna get your panties in a bunch over that comment,  but you have no problem critisizing freddie mercury that he wasn't perfect.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 24 May 09, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not sure what you're getting at..

But yes, nobody's perfect.  Even the greatest artists of our time have written terrible songs.  Likewise, some little-known ones have written great songs.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Treasure Moment

Posted: 24 May 09, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Yes of course, a good song is a catchy song and they cant write one therfor they arent a good band.

Freddie Mercury is God

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

The Real Wizard

Posted: 24 May 09, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Yes of course, a good song is a catchy song and they cant write one therfor they arent a good band.

Allow me to paraphrase:

"Yes of course, my ignorance has convinced me that anything isn't catchy isn't good.  My musically and intellectually limited mind cannot possibly fathom other ways in which a song can be good."

Catchy hooks are a device in pop music, but not in most other genres.  They're only inferior in some way if you label them as such.

Treasure Moment

Posted: 24 May 09, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Allow me to paraphrase:

"Yes of course, my ignorance has convinced me that anything isn't catchy isn't good.  My musically and intellectually limited mind cannot possibly fathom other ways in which a song can be good."

Catchy hooks are a device in pop music, but not in most other genres.  They're only inferior in some way if you label them as such.

If the song doesnt have anything cathy or emotional it sucks, simple as that.

Freddie Mercury is God

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 25 May 09, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, there you have it, if your song is not Catchy and/or Emotional TO THIS TreasureMoment GUY then your band must be crap.

He does have a point. Everybody likes catchy songs but one could argue that a ballad by "_insert_current_pop_artist's_name_here_" is both emotional and catchy and this guy would still say it's crap.

And this only shows us that when it comes to music tastes, it's all subjective.

Angels, by Robbie Williams?
Total Eclipse of the Heart, by Bonnie Tyler?
Making love out of nothing at all, by Air Supply?
(Yep, that's to Jim Steinman songs there)

Actually, emotional doesn't necessarily mean Sad or Melancholic.

You can write a very emotional, sincere and catchy song stating that you "like big butts and you cannot lie..." ;)

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4626 posts

Posted: 25 May 09, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

If the song doesnt have anything cathy or emotional it sucks, simple as that.

Who the hell is cathy?  And what has she got to do with all this?
By the way TM, I know its typo, ok

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
The Real Wizard

Posted: 25 May 09, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:

Total Eclipse of the Heart, by Bonnie Tyler?

It's clearly a horrible song because it's not catchy enough.  Jim Steinman is talentless because he never worked with Freddie.  Maybe if someone from Treasure Moment played on the track I would take it more seriously.

We need to sell TM's definition of music to every music psychologist in the world.  I think we're onto something here...

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4626 posts

Posted: 25 May 09, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:

So, there you have it, if your song is not Catchy and/or Emotional TO THIS TreasureMoment GUY then your band must be crap.

Your song doesn't need to be catchy. But it does need to have cathy in it (see TM's quote in my last post).

So there you have it. The formula for a successful hit is an emotional song all about Cathy.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."