Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Miracle - 20 years now

forum rss feed
Author

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 09, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just realised it's been 20 years since The Miracle album was released. This also marks my 20years of being a Queen fan. I Want It All was the first Queen song I fell in love with all those years ago and The Miracle was my soundtrack album of the summer '89. Good memories!!! This album will always have a special place in my heart.

Anyway, what are yor thoughts on The Miracle? Has it aged well? You still listen to it? Is it rubbish? Or a gem? What are your favourite songs from the album?

I still like this album a lot, and I think it's got some great songs on it. My favourites being The Miracle, I Want It All, Breakthru, Scandal and Was It All Worth It. Of course there are some weak moments as well (like Party and Rain Must Fall) but all in all, I think it's one their better albums from the 80's. The decision to credit everything for Queen obviously paid off. But I just can't help thinking that the album could have been even better if they had chosen different songs on it. B-sides like Hang On In There and Hijack My Heart would have made the album more interesting, plus it would have been great to hear Roger singing lead on a Queen album once again. Also, they should have released TMLWKY on the album 'cos the one thing this album lacks is a haunting piano ballad.

Your comments, please...

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I´ll always love The Miracle because it was the very first Queen album I was really expecting and waiting to be released. I mean, I was 13 years old and at last quite "adult" to know what was going on around.

I remember the release of The Works and AKOM, those albums made me a Queen fan as a kid, but The MIracle was the first I was dying to see released as a proper Queen fan.

I still believe this is the album I´ve listened the most in my life. Really ! When it was released I bought the cassette tape and I was everywhere playing it with my walkman, at any time!

Yes, now I know it has received many criticism and it´s been said to be a weak album ... but, anyway, I still love it !

Many great songs in there: IWIA, The MIracle, The Invisible Man, Breakthru, Scandal and the superb Was It All Worth It ...then we have the fillers I really enjoy (Party and Khashoggi´s Ship) and the ones I don´t that much (Rain Must Fall and My Baby Does Me).

And what about the B-sides ? Hang On In There is always a favourite of mine, Stealin is pure fun, Hijack My Heart - as anything sung by Roger - is a well loved one, and My Life Has Been Side ... this is a curious case, as I still don´t know wether I prefer the orginal version or the MIH reworked one (more simple, but cleaner).

Another good aspect of this album is found in the production and how brilliant it sounds. Innuendo, artistically, is a thousand times better than The Miracle, but many times I wished the former had the production and fantastic sound we have on the later.

With the passing of time and as I grew, I learnt to love much better Queen albums, but The Miracle will always stay in a special place in my heart.

*edit / ps: I was writing above about my memories on this album, when I was 13 (!) years old, and suddenly I´ve realised the thread title: 20 YEARS NOW ..... oh, my .... oh, my ...

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice post Vali. I had the same feeling a bit later with a different album (when Made in Heaven was released)
12 y/o at that time, and the first queen release I was waiting for in the shops. Great feeling :-)

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All of a sudden I feel very very old!! :(

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Being an older Queen fan myself (a fan for 32 years) I lost a little interest in the band after Hot Space and then they didn't do anything in 83 so the interest was kind of not there The Works and AKOM were starting to get me back on track but when I heard I Want It All I got my interest back. Like the posters above I had that feeling of anticipation again waiting for that album like I did in the late 70's waiting for those albums to be released. It was a good collection of songs but they topped themselves with Innuendo with all the trademark Queen ideas.

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle is definately my favorite Queen album from the 80's.  I absolutely love it.

dbruce user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 163 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle is a funny one with me. Spawning 5 great singles that covered a range of styles was no mean feat. Add in WIAWI and already you've got a pretty solid foundation for an album. Just a shame that the filler - My Baby and Rain Must Fall - are some of the worst filler on any Queen album.

Just playing about and came up with this version:
- I Want It All (single version)
- The Miracle (replace keyboard part with a proper piano part, and remove the fast guitar solo)
- The Invisible Man
- Hang On In There
- My Life Has Been Saved
- Party
- Khashoggi's Ship
- Breakthru
- Stealin
- Scandal (extended version)
- Was It All Worth It

Might change the running order slightly - sometimes works best when you hear it. Although Party/KS works as an opener, I would probably prefer the IWIA chorus as an opener.

Good thread though.

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I consider The Miracle to be Queen's weakest classical era studio album (excluding Flash.) For many years I rarely listened to this album, apart from 'I Want It All,' however I recently listened to in full for the first time in years, and I realised that I liked it. I Want It All, The Miracle,  Breakthru, Scandal and Was It All Worth It are my favourites while The Invisible Man is also pretty cool, once one gets past the similarities to Ghostbusters.

I don't think that Queen has ever released a bad album, as The Miracle proves, but is still IMO the group's weakest album, Flash and The Cosmos Rocks aside.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote:

I consider The Miracle to be Queen's weakest classical era studio album (excluding Flash.)

Flash Gordon isn't technically a "studio album", it's an O.S.T.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Amazon wrote:

I consider The Miracle to be Queen's weakest classical era studio album (excluding Flash.)

Flash Gordon isn't technically a "studio album", it's an O.S.T.

Exactly, which is why I specifically excluded it. Funny thing is that although it is a soundtrack, numerous sources such as Queenpedia list it as a studio album. But, yeh, I certainly do agree that it's not a studio album.

queenside user not visiting Queenzone.com
taking my ride with destiny
queenside
Bohemian: 608 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love the album! i think that album has 5 great singles, very different from each other
but every one of them so much "queen". the miracle is great ballad,
with sort of naive and utopian lyrics i find it like cousin to lennon's
imagine. breakthru is just great uptempo feel good song, it has that
sort of "don't stop me now" let's have fun sort of vibe. i want it all
is great queen rocker with all the trademarks-big pounding rhythm,
killer riff and epic chours with great vocals and outstanding guitar
solo by dr. brian may. they don't make songs like that anymore. and
invisible man is great, catchy single, kind of unusual style for queen
but they were always diffrent and trying something else. all 5 singles
from the miracle are very diffrent but when you hear them you always
know it's queen. 5th single is scandal, love that track. plus some
great songs on that album like was it all worth it and party (which some people find to be a filler).
actually i love all songs from the miracle,my baby does me, KS, hang on in there... love them all!
the miracle will always have a special place in my heart cos it's the first  Q album i bought on cd
back in '99 and i remember listening to it constantly. i was listening it today.

I watched as fear took the old men's gaze

Hopes of the young in troubled graves

I see no day, I heard him say

So grey is the face of every mortal

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeez, where did those 20 years go? I remember hearing and loving I Want it All and all the hype that it was a return to their Hard Rockin roots, and then listening to the album and thinking there is still too much synthesised pop pap, on here, where the metal edge I want it all promised? I liked Party, Khashoggis Ship, IWIA, Scandal and WIAWI, but hated the Invisible Man 12 ", Rain Must Fall and My Baby Does Me. The biggest dsiappointment was no tour,I remeber reading Kerrang that Queen would headline a gig at Alton Towers, the Silver Clef Ivan Norvello Concert at Knebworth and it came clear didnt want to tour, what a shame, because had he come out ealier about his disease maybe, just maybe he could have had a magic johnson type revival?

"Give it to me one more time!"

Posted: 23 May 09, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seem to be one of a few that actually enjoys Rain Must Fall.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 00:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lalaalalaa wrote:

Me too.  I think it's a great, under-rated song.  The keyboards date it, but the songwriting itself is great.

To me, The Miracle is the band's strongest album from the 80s.  But it's not nearly as strong as Innuendo, which was the closest the band ever came to recapturing the spirit of A Night At The Opera.

I really don't get why Party and Khashoggi's Ship get flack from so many fans.  They are brilliant compositions, filled with Queen trademarks, one of which is treading down territory that they'd touch once and never again.  From the first notes of Party to the epic nature of Was It All Worth It, The Miracle is a very solid rock album.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 01:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

lalaalalaa wrote:

Me too.  I think it's a great, under-rated song.  The keyboards date it, but the songwriting itself is great.

To me, The Miracle is the band's strongest album from the 80s.  But it's not nearly as strong as Innuendo, which was the closest the band ever came to recapturing the spirit of A Night At The Opera.

I really don't get why Party and Khashoggi's Ship get flack from so many fans.  They are brilliant compositions, filled with Queen trademarks, one of which is treading down territory that they'd touch once and never again.  From the first notes of Party to the epic nature of Was It All Worth It, The Miracle is a very solid rock album.

I thought I was the only one who liked rain must fall.  I think musically and vocally it's very good and has good lryics.  Love brians guitar sound....   When I first heard this album in 89 I liked only 4 songs, I want it all, the title track, breakthru and was it all worth it?...but most of the other songs grew me over the years,  even "my baby does me"  which I hated has a cool sound.  Overall, it's still one of my least favorite queen albums. No way is it better than the game, that's their best 80's album.   The only songs I still don't like are party, the worst opening track of any queen album, only the cosmo's rockin is worse, lol,  and Invisable man. 

Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Want It All was the first song that drew me to Queen, and still love the song very much to this day. Innuendo, as everyone has said and agreed on this post was a far stronger album, but The Miracle definately has it's merits without question. Freddie was in such strong voice by this point...coming right off of the whole Barcelona venture with Montserrat, and with Brian just playing his heart out throughout the whole album, it still makes The Miracl VERY enjoyable! It is one of the more played CD's in my car...

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!

Posted: 24 May 09, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

Sir GH wrote:

lalaalalaa wrote:

I thought I was the only one who liked rain must fall.  I think musically and vocally it's very good and has good lryics.  Love brians guitar sound....   When I first heard this album in 89 I liked only 4 songs, I want it all, the title track, breakthru and was it all worth it?...but most of the other songs grew me over the years,  even "my baby does me"  which I hated has a cool sound.  Overall, it's still one of my least favorite queen albums. No way is it better than the game, that's their best 80's album.   The only songs I still don't like are party, the worst opening track of any queen album, only the cosmo's rockin is worse, lol,  and Invisable man. 

Rain Must Fall is one of many examples of Queen's diversity in genres.  It was very creative and it sounds like something you might find on a YES album (or Rick Wakeman solo).

Paulos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle was the first new Queen album that came out when i was a fan (first got into them in late 86).
Id been waiting for this for over 2 years after thinking about nothing but Queen night and day. I was 16, just left school, and remember it was a sunny day and i called into the music department at WHSmith to buy it. They were playing some music and even though Freddie wasnt singing i knew it was Queen, turned out it wss Was It All Worth It.
I remember buying it on vinyl and taking it home on the bus studying the face on the cover thinking 'how did they do that'!?
I loved the album, played it to death. I dont know if its the fact that it hasnt aged well or my tastes have changed but i really think there only 4 decent songs on there now - IWIA, Scandal, The Miracle and WIAWI.
In my mind they should have included My Life has been Saved and TMLWKY, whilst leaving off the awful Invisible Man and My Baby Does Me. It would have been a more darker record but would have given it more depth.

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle was the first Queen album I bought, and I have great memories from it!
It was summer, and I still consider it a "summer album", like Made in Heaven is a "winter album"...

I think the best songs are Was it All Worth It, My Baby Does Me, The Miracle, Breakthru and Scandal.

Party and K. Ship starts the album nice, I think.

I think it has aged well, and is the best album from the '80s...

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 26 May 09, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't listened to it myself for years don't ask me how long, as you say it's now 20 years old but I have a feeling in two years time Innunedo will sound the newer of the two.