Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Exclusive: Queen’s Brian May Addresses Adam Lambert Rumors

forum rss feed
Author

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 732 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 09, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After Adam Lambert’s killer performance with Queen on Wednesday night’s season finale of American Idol, rumors flew that he had already been offered a job singing with the band. That’s slightly premature, according to the band’s guitarist, Brian May. “Amongst all that furor, there wasn’t really a quiet moment to talk,” May tells Rolling Stone in an e-mail interview. “But [drummer Roger Taylor] and I are definitely hoping to have a meaningful conversation with him at some point. It’s not like we, as Queen, would rush into coalescing with another singer just like that. It isn’t that easy. But I’d certainly like to work with Adam. That is one amazing instrument he has there.”

May, whose band recently ended a four-year-long partnership with singer Paul Rodgers, is comfortable with Idol as a launching point for the careers of rock singers. “You’d have to define ‘legitimate’ first,” he writes. “The long-term answer has to be that, if you have enough talent and enough will to succeed, you will get there by whatever route presents itself. Once you have scaled the castle walls, with the sword in your hand, it matters little
how you got there. I’ve not always been positive about shows like this, but there is no doubt that it offers a door to some real genuine talent along the way.”

“Both those boys are well worthy of big success,” May continues, in regard to Lambert and Idol winner Kris Allen. “So it’s pointless for someone like me to stand on the sidelines jeering. I’m confident Adam will make great use of this wonderful opportunity. I hope I’m there to see it.”

http://tinyurl.com/olvqb7

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting. I don't think it would such a bad idea for Queen to get together with Lambert, but I do think they should wait a while before committing. That way, they won't be seen as cashing in on Lambert's American Idol success and they also won't be seen as desperate. Considering Queen's status, desperate is the last thing they should come across as. Fortunately, it appears that they are not unaware of this..

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote:

Interesting. I don't think it would such a bad idea for Queen to get together with Lambert, but I do think they should wait a while before committing. That way, they won't be seen as cashing in on Lambert's American Idol success and they also won't be seen as desperate. Considering Queen's status, desperate is the last thing they should come across as. Fortunately, it appears that they are not unaware of this..

Hopefully Queen productions are also aware of the need for credibility and not appearing desperate.  I get the feeling at times that Queen the band are sometimes overridden by Queen the company.  I'd give a huge amount to see Queen live, but would hate for them to lose their reputation and be seen as old men desperate for attention.

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

catqueen wrote:

Amazon wrote:

Hopefully Queen productions are also aware of the need for credibility and not appearing desperate.  I get the feeling at times that Queen the band are sometimes overridden by Queen the company.  I'd give a huge amount to see Queen live, but would hate for them to lose their reputation and be seen as old men desperate for attention.

I feel the same way. To see Queen live would be incredible, but not at the cost of their credibility.

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the post and the news, Daniel, and for keeping us updated on all this. Nice to see you writing again here on the website.

Take care!!!

Yara

Yara
Denmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com
Denmagic
Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess Queen excited the US with their appearance on the final of American Idol therefore sparking these rumours of Adam joining Queen.  Some web photos are depicing him as the next best thing to Freddie.  He's a very long, long way to go to get anywhere near Freddies level.

17Procession user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No way nothing will ever be better than Freddy, and to tell you the truth i really dont like Adam. i think he tries too hard to imitate Freddys rock opera when singing , and combined with his over feminine singing i get kind of annoyed. plus i saw him singing with black finger nails . yeah if you would look at the cover of Sheer Heart Attack  you would see thats Freddys trend. i think Lambert joining would be a big mistake . i also thing Bowie and Queen should make a few more songs together.

Manul Garcia
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 19:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

17Procession wrote:

No way nothing will ever be better than Freddy, and to tell you the truth i really dont like Adam. i think he tries too hard to imitate Freddys rock opera when singing , and combined with his over feminine singing i get kind of annoyed. plus i saw him singing with black finger nails . yeah if you would look at the cover of Sheer Heart Attack  you would see thats Freddys trend. i think Lambert joining would be a big mistake . i also thing Bowie and Queen should make a few more songs together.

Freddie

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has lost his mind, here is this legendary amazing band with members that are close to 60 and have done it all and he wants a fruity talentless idol guy to have something to do with Queen? thats pathetic.

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

marcenciels user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 23 May 09, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hummm...

i have not heard or read any news but, is Bowie back to 100% ?

you know...time waits for nobody.

it's like... some seem to forget that at their age, it's more now than never...

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Brian has lost his mind, here is this legendary amazing band with members that are close to 60 and have done it all and he wants a fruity talentless idol guy to have something to do with Queen? thats pathetic.

First of all, you of all people are certainly not one to assess talent.

Secondly, Brian can do whatever the hell he wants.  He has sold hundreds of millions of records, so he is entitled to spend his remaining years doing his job, which is making music, with whomever he pleases.  The legacy will remain unmarked, because old records cannot be undone.

It continues to amaze me how many people think their opinion ultimately matters.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Olly 1988 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a feeling that they will get him in for the musical. They'd be stupid to go on tour with the guy etc.. Legacy= ruined.

Treasure Moment

Posted: 24 May 09, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Secondly, Brian can do whatever the hell he wants.  He has sold hundreds of millions of records, so he is entitled to spend his remaining years doing his job, which is making music, with whomever he pleases.  The legacy will remain unmarked, because old records cannot be undone.

It continues to amaze me how many people think their opinion ultimately matters.

First of all you have no buisness talking about talent as you wouldnt be able to write 1 song as good as ours in your lifetime....

secondly, brian is ruining the queen name with these RIDICULOUS collaborations, let the Queen name rest in peace, this is not queen.

Freddie Mercury is God

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Lisser :) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Totally agree with this post 110%!!!

Meep!!!
The Real Wizard

Posted: 24 May 09, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

First of all you have no buisness talking about talent as you wouldnt be able to write 1 song as good as ours in your lifetime....

Have you got that record deal yet?  I can't wait to rush to the record store to pick up the classic Treasure Moment album.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Treasure Moment

Posted: 24 May 09, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Have you got that record deal yet?  I can't wait to rush to the record store to pick up the classic Treasure Moment album.

Im not so sure we even want a deal as all they do is to rob artists and try to control their music.

In the meantime you better go and buy some of those quality artists like jay z, britney, My chemical romance and other really good bands that have contracts haha

you are stupid,

Freddie Mercury is God

SaskQueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nothing but speculation.... how about we deal with facts? Just because Queen peformed on AI, does not mean that Lambert is joining the group.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 24 May 09, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

you are stupid

That's rich, coming from a guy who assumes I'm talking about major labels.

You think you're better than every mainstream artist, and you aren't even aware of your alternatives.

Keep 'em coming.  This is priceless.

Treasure Moment

Posted: 24 May 09, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

[/b]

[b]
Treasure Moment wrote:

you are stupid

That's rich, coming from a guy who assumes I'm talking about major labels.

You think you're better than every mainstream artist, and you aren't even aware of your alternatives.

Keep 'em coming.  This is priceless.

I havent heard 1 band that even comes close to TM in the mainstream, they are nowhere near us, as for the underground artists i havent heard so many but the ones i have sucked too.

Freddie Mercury is God

TheCosmosRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com
TheCosmosRocks
Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 24 May 09, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Lambert is going to be Queen's new singer? This is not right. It should be Paul Rodgers instead of Adam!NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

''We believe, there's a deed of obligation, to bring reconciliation, to make peace with every nation....''