Forums > Queen - General Discussion > How Come Most Stores Only Sell The GH's?!?!?

forum rss feed
Author

Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89
Bohemian: 185 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 May 09, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It really makes me made. I live in Panama City , Fl where noone has any musical knowledge about crap. I became interested in Queen (and when i get interested in something, maybe you're like me, I MUST HAVE IT ALL!!!) after listening to my friends copy of GH I. He also had II which I thought was really weird because it had all the synth's and whatnot. I tried to find the albums in the stores but the only ones they EVER have in my area are ANATO, NOTW and The Game. No offence, but the generic albums. Thank god that every summer my dad and I drive back up to CT on a massive east-country road trip. I spent so much money buying LP's and whatnot. I found that if i wanted the albums, I would have to hunt them down. What's your story with badly stocked stores? I.E. Wal-Mart, FYE, etc. I only wrote this because if there was an independent record store in my "town", i would have bought them out of stock.

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 May 09, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89 wrote:

It really makes me made. I live in Panama City , Fl where noone has any musical knowledge about crap. I became interested in Queen (and when i get interested in something, maybe you're like me, I MUST HAVE IT ALL!!!) after listening to my friends copy of GH I. He also had II which I thought was really weird because it had all the synth's and whatnot. I tried to find the albums in the stores but the only ones they EVER have in my area are ANATO, NOTW and The Game. No offence, but the generic albums. Thank god that every summer my dad and I drive back up to CT on a massive east-country road trip. I spent so much money buying LP's and whatnot. I found that if i wanted the albums, I would have to hunt them down. What's your story with badly stocked stores? I.E. Wal-Mart, FYE, etc. I only wrote this because if there was an independent record store in my "town", i would have bought them out of stock.

Hi, Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' 89!

I hope you're doing great.

Ah, my experience with this couldn't be worse! First, there are no record stores at all near the campus. When I'm home, it's of no use either because the record stores are horrible in the district I live.

So what's my way of solving this?

Hanging out the mall on sundays, bringing along a list of albums recommended by friends and people in general, hoping to find any of them! This sunday, for instance, I'm going to look forward to a release of a David Bowie concert I enjoy a lot and that Queenzoner Jjeroen told me about - I get a lot of good tips here. :-)

There are two record stores on the mall that are really good. Really good. I usually find what I'm looking for - they have a wonderful session for classical music and jazz too.

But the...there's a downside to it.

It's not that I don't like hanging out and going to the mall with friends. I do like it. But I don't like malls in general - in fact, I don't feel very good in there and I am only able to enjoy it because I'm with friends, otherwise I wouldn't even bother to go.

I find it quite annoying this tendency in my city of concentrating everything in malls - it deprives you from a more rewarding contact with the city, you don't get to hang out as much because it tiresome to be there for a long period of time, and it's stressful...

I like to walk down the streets, go to museums, parks, squares...but if I want to go to any good store, I have to go to a shopping center or a mall and I get the sense I'm not really going out, having a good time, but only bearing the stress and the sense of imprisonment to buy something and then leave.

If it were not for my friends and what we do afterwards, it wouldn't be worth the effort. Malls and such here create a sense of an utterly artificial environment which attracts similar people, who dress similarly and who come from the same economic background - it seems like a capsule or something, and I don't like it.

I do prefer being there in the open, in parks, in the squares, having fun with my friends without having to feel suffocated inside a capsule isolated from the world. It feels weird. 

So, here it is a problem - if there were good record stores around the city, I wouldn't have, first, to enter the malls; second, I wouldn't have to wait up until sunday just to take a look at the new releases and browse a bit. 

I hope you're doing fine and I wish you a wonderful day!

Yara 








Yara
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 May 09, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Make use of this little and magical thing called "internet" and buy the albums in some digital store!! fuck the record shops!...


Queen rocks!
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 May 09, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fact is that because of EMI/ Parlophone's strategy of doing nothing but re-packaging the same old shit year after year, no one recognises anything other than the hits any longer.

QPL's policy of allowing this to happen has marginalised the band's catalogue to the extent that once the contract ends next year, it'll be interesting to see whether another label actually believes that they can re-ignite the catalogue for it to be worth bidding on.

The band's self-same policy of playing very little from outside of the GH collections has also prevented a huge variety of material from being played and re-interpreted for their "new" audience.

As a result the whole thing leaves a sickly taste in the mouth and a feeling of why you bothered buying any of their music in the first place if this was how they were going to end up......


Benn
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 May 09, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because they want to stay in business.

I don't see a big run on Sheer Heart Attack coming anytime soon... but I'm ready for it.

Do what we do instead.  Don't listen to GH.  Only listen to Sir GH.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 487 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 May 09, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most stores only sell the GH because most people buy the GH... lol... simple business strategy. Regardless, unless you request it from your store, the store will likely only carry what their distributor stocks them with... ie. the biggest sellers - which is anything new, anything on the top 40, and Greatest Hits compilations. Unless you go to a Virgin Mega or an HMV depending on where you live... you won't get much choice...

This happens more over time, because of certain web sites like amazon.com, virginmega.com, hmv.com, etc.. which basically allow you to choose anything ever released and charge you 0 shipping if you buy over a certain threshold... Obviously, more and more people are becoming comfortable with purchasing online, so in the long run, brick & morter stores carrying CDs will likely close shop leaving only the big guns in big cities and your usual WalMart/Sam's Club, BestBuy, etc... Until people stop buying from those websites and start requesting special LPs from their local store, you won't see any change. And quite frankly, it's a hell of a lot more convenient to just buy it online.

So given, you're in Florida, you're best bet is to pretty much order Queen CDs online... unless you decide to go to NYC or maybe Boston, or CT like you mentioned... besides that, the east coast doesn't have much to offer in terms of megastores.

Luckily, I live in Montreal... so I get everything I need within minutes from my doorstep ;-)

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 May 09, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In melbourne, we used to suffer the same thing. But most stores now sell most of Queens work.

Jb-Hi Fi sell shit loads of solo stuff as well...



...
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



shemp wrote:

In melbourne, we used to suffer the same thing. But most stores now sell most of Queens work.

Jb-Hi Fi sell shit loads of solo stuff as well...

Which Jb-Hi-Fi are you speaking of specifically?







Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89 wrote:

It really makes me made. I live in Panama City , Fl where noone has any musical knowledge about crap. I became interested in Queen (and when i get interested in something, maybe you're like me, I MUST HAVE IT ALL!!!) after listening to my friends copy of GH I. He also had II which I thought was really weird because it had all the synth's and whatnot. I tried to find the albums in the stores but the only ones they EVER have in my area are ANATO, NOTW and The Game. No offence, but the generic albums. Thank god that every summer my dad and I drive back up to CT on a massive east-country road trip. I spent so much money buying LP's and whatnot. I found that if i wanted the albums, I would have to hunt them down. What's your story with badly stocked stores? I.E. Wal-Mart, FYE, etc. I only wrote this because if there was an independent record store in my "town", i would have bought them out of stock.

Stop going to Kmart and Walmart and other stores like that, and try a music store. If there's no music stores in your town like you say, try the next town, or the next.



"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Benn wrote:

Fact is that because of EMI/ Parlophone's strategy of doing nothing but re-packaging the same old shit year after year, no one recognises anything other than the hits any longer.

QPL's policy of allowing this to happen has marginalised the band's catalogue to the extent that once the contract ends next year, it'll be interesting to see whether another label actually believes that they can re-ignite the catalogue for it to be worth bidding on.

The band's self-same policy of playing very little from outside of the GH collections has also prevented a huge variety of material from being played and re-interpreted for their "new" audience.

As a result the whole thing leaves a sickly taste in the mouth and a feeling of why you bothered buying any of their music in the first place if this was how they were going to end up......

Don't think EMI is the one that handles the USA. We got Hollywood Records, and most stores like Walmart carry mostly new releases and compilations.





"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
The Royalist user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Royalist
Champion: 58 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's GH?

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote















The Royalist wrote:







What's GH?






  Greatest Hits.






Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89
Bohemian: 185 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Sweet Insanity wrote:







Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89 wrote:



It really makes me made. I live in Panama City , Fl where noone has any musical knowledge about crap. I became interested in Queen (and when i get interested in something, maybe you're like me, I MUST HAVE IT ALL!!!) after listening to my friends copy of GH I. He also had II which I thought was really weird because it had all the synth's and whatnot. I tried to find the albums in the stores but the only ones they EVER have in my area are ANATO, NOTW and The Game. No offence, but the generic albums. Thank god that every summer my dad and I drive back up to CT on a massive east-country road trip. I spent so much money buying LP's and whatnot. I found that if i wanted the albums, I would have to hunt them down. What's your story with badly stocked stores? I.E. Wal-Mart, FYE, etc. I only wrote this because if there was an independent record store in my "town", i would have bought them out of stock.


Stop going to Kmart and Walmart and other stores like that, and try a music store. If there's no music stores in your town like you say, try the next town, or the next.





Believe me, I dont shop at those places BECAUSE of the reasons stated above. I seem to have much more luck randomly finding record stores on road trips and whatnot. Im only 14, and if I could travel to other towns I would. It sucks because there are actually some pretty good record shops in surrounding areas.



i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



Amazon wrote:



 



 



 



 



shemp wrote:



 



In melbourne, we used to suffer the same thing. But most stores now sell most of Queens work.

Jb-Hi Fi sell shit loads of solo stuff as well...



 


Which Jb-Hi-Fi are you speaking of specifically?






The inner city ones, On Burke, allso on Elizabeth St... even in Major shopping centres out side of the CBD, in the western Burbs...

I have picked up Freddies and Rodgers Solo stuff there...

Most of the time, they have it all in stock...

I have even seem some Vynle in stock also..

At one stage, they had  Queen (1st Album) through to GH3 on a stand near the counter.... all cheap to.
I was tempted to by the whole catologue once again..










...
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote







shemp wrote:



















 















Amazon wrote:















 



























 















 















 















shemp wrote:















 















In melbourne, we used to suffer the same thing. But most stores now sell most of Queens work.

Jb-Hi Fi sell shit loads of solo stuff as well...















 














Which Jb-Hi-Fi are you speaking of specifically?






The inner city ones, On Burke, allso on Elizabeth St... even in Major shopping centres out side of the CBD, in the western Burbs...

I have picked up Freddies and Rodgers Solo stuff there...

Most of the time, they have it all in stock...

I have even seem some Vynle in stock also..

At one stage, they had  Queen (1st Album) through to GH3 on a stand near the counter.... all cheap to.
I was tempted to by the whole catologue once again..








Sounds awesome. I go into the city quite a bit so I'll make sure to stop off at one of the stores. Thanks.







i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 09, 21:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Amazon wrote:



 



 



 



shemp wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Amazon wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



shemp wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



In melbourne, we used to suffer the same thing. But most stores now sell most of Queens work.

Jb-Hi Fi sell shit loads of solo stuff as well...



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 


Which Jb-Hi-Fi are you speaking of specifically?






The inner city ones, On Burke, allso on Elizabeth St... even in Major shopping centres out side of the CBD, in the western Burbs...

I have picked up Freddies and Rodgers Solo stuff there...

Most of the time, they have it all in stock...

I have even seem some Vynle in stock also..

At one stage, they had  Queen (1st Album) through to GH3 on a stand near the counter.... all cheap to.
I was tempted to by the whole catologue once again..








Sounds awesome. I go into the city quite a bit so I'll make sure to stop off at one of the stores. Thanks.






No worries... Its well woth a look.








...