Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Lambert - "like a comet shooting across the sky".

forum rss feed
Author

Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 May 09, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to admit that I was struck by lightening when I heard We Are the Champions performed by Queen and Adam Lambert, and the other guy ;) This is the first time ever, sincerely, that I felt the power, pomp and drama of Queen since Freddie left the stage. Queen have performed, recorded and played with a number of vocalists - but this time everything felt into place. Lambert brought back the camp, flamboyance, fun and crazy - with 
a performance of power, uniqueness, flair and range. This has to be a Made in Heaven combination. And at the time I'm writing this, messageboards, newspapers and chats have people going mad discussing this collaboration or meeting. It seems like a LOT of people would like this to happen. Consider me in.

Although I liked The Cosmos Rockin, and still do; still it lacked the drama and pomp that we expect from a Queen album. Yes, it was a new venture, a new take within the Queen format - but still something was missing; the "over the top-singing", the unorthodox arrangements and humour - this can happen now. Whereas The Cosmos Rocking was a safe, straightforward, predictable blues/rock album - we now may get the chance to finally see Queen strike back with strength and power performing and creating a kind of macic - a new fresh, epic glam rock/metal of our time. Lambert will give them this, by inserting humour, freshness, versaility, range and theatricality.

And what an insanely perfect way to be re-born in the States again? Try to imagine this vocal god to perform "Somebody to Love", "Death on two legs", "Now I'm Here" and "Innuendo"!? This will be the perfect opportunity to close the chapter and history of Queen as a performing band. Have fun and take the world with storm by setting a new standard - with fresh, rocky new albums and spectacular live concerts.

What do you think?

argQ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 30 May 09, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please, forget this TV guy. Can he write new songs? Can he play any instrument? He has a good voice, but that´s all. I think Queen is something big for him. Only Paul can do it properly. Q+PR was a fantastic combination.

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 30 May 09, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomas Tønnesen wrote:

I have to admit that I was struck by lightening when I heard We Are the Champions performed by Queen and Adam Lambert, and the other guy ;) This is the first time ever, sincerely, that I felt the power, pomp and drama of Queen since Freddie left the stage. Queen have performed, recorded and played with a number of vocalists - but this time everything felt into place. Lambert brought back the camp, flamboyance, fun and crazy - with 
a performance of power, uniqueness, flair and range. This has to be a Made in Heaven combination. And at the time I'm writing this, messageboards, newspapers and chats have people going mad discussing this collaboration or meeting. It seems like a LOT of people would like this to happen. Consider me in.

Although I liked The Cosmos Rockin, and still do; still it lacked the drama and pomp that we expect from a Queen album. Yes, it was a new venture, a new take within the Queen format - but still something was missing; the "over the top-singing", the unorthodox arrangements and humour - this can happen now. Whereas The Cosmos Rocking was a safe, straightforward, predictable blues/rock album - we now may get the chance to finally see Queen strike back with strength and power performing and creating a kind of macic - a new fresh, epic glam rock/metal of our time. Lambert will give them this, by inserting humour, freshness, versaility, range and theatricality.

And what an insanely perfect way to be re-born in the States again? Try to imagine this vocal god to perform "Somebody to Love", "Death on two legs", "Now I'm Here" and "Innuendo"!? This will be the perfect opportunity to close the chapter and history of Queen as a performing band. Have fun and take the world with storm by setting a new standard - with fresh, rocky new albums and spectacular live concerts.

What do you think?

i think you are optimistic.

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 30 May 09, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

argQ wrote:

Please, forget this TV guy. Can he write new songs? Can he play any instrument? He has a good voice, but that´s all. I think Queen is something big for him. Only Paul can do it properly. Q+PR was a fantastic combination.

LOL

NOW i have heard it all

for 5 years we have been told lots "Freddie was Queen, no Freddie - no Queen" and "RIP 1991"
now there are people to mourn Paul Rogers?!?! :D   perfect

"no queen without Paul Rogers, RIP 2009"

Bulsarian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bulsarian
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 30 May 09, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Adam would be horrible for Queen as a singer imo.

better sit back and go with the flow.
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 30 May 09, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

andreas_mercury wrote:

Thomas Tønnesen wrote:

What do you think?

i think you are optimistic.

I think you are too optimistic!

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 30 May 09, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe I'm way too optimistic ;)

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 30 May 09, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FACT: Adam Lambert will neither cure cancer nor bring world peace.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he's a tremendous singer but I mean come on ...  joining Queen?  He'd really have to do a serious job of earning some stripes first I think.  He has the voice and the character to sing for a band like Queen but God only knows if he can write a tune worthy of those guys ...    and so soon after Paul Rodgers has left the picture?  It'd be laughable.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see this happen.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be better if Brian and Roger just called it a day then going out with ANOTHER new singer who will surely have the same problem as Paul. People comparing him to Freddy, people not caring about him, people moaning that 'Freddy sang it better', people complaining that 'he looks bored'.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah who the fuck would want that job??   The number one reason I would've quit Q+PR if I were Paul would have to be that more people were cheering for the dead guy than they were for me...

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
marcenciels user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen's career was  often fueled with  bad press...and Freddie getting most of the low blows.

most of those press/columnist had to admit that he was unique, and now defend his memory.

so...who will be worthy to take Paul's place now ?...he took his share of low blows ;)

i thought this combination was interresting, because of the musical back ground they could perform.

Lambert...hummm....it would be safe to say that they will simply write a few songs for him, for his very probable album.

as for joining Queen ?...time will tell...

it would be nice in a way...maybe...because with his range, we could get to hear song's Paul just couldnt do.

whoever will be the new front man...it would be important that he can give a wider choice in the Queen catalogue.

because, two tours with the same old and just the TCR songs added ?

that left me a bit dissapointed.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think a tour with a singer which could sing the more 'Freddy'-songs would actually contain more Freddy-songs in the setlist. Look at the Freddy Mercury Tribute - even when he was barely dead and a gig was being organised in his memory the actual setlist contains only 4 real Mercury-composed songs. Even if Freddy suddenly returned from the dead I really doubt we'd be seeing tracks like Somebody To Love in the setlist - so let's not even start about stuff like Great King Rat, Liar or Ogre Battle.

marcenciels user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

""so let's not even start about stuff like Great King Rat, Liar or Ogre Battle.""

those songs are  low on my wish list ;)

anyway...time will tell...

i dont think i need to post the same cassette ;) my opinion is as good as any other on the subject.

it's all speculations...héhéhé...

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there is a large difference between joining Queen, working with Queen, and working with Queen +, i.e., Brian and Roger and Spike and Co.  I think we are talking about that last one.  And I don't really have an issue with it. 

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

***** its NOT FREDDY but FREDDIE for GOD'S SAKE!

and another thing, someone said right thing - can he write, can he play any instruments??? just remember PAUL who could sing and write amazing songs for all his long career. this guy can't write songs classy songs for Queen, or he can, is he a miracle who can join Queen and Freddie will be forgotten because of him.

COME ONE GUYS THIS GUY SURELY CANT WRITE AS CLOSE AS FIRST DOT OF F letter from FREDDIE WORD. one micromillimeter .... he cant compete with Freddie nor Paul, all Brian and Roger can do is write for him and he will sing.

i want Brian and Roger to rock again as Queen, i really do... but i think they will ruing their reputation if they choose this INSTANT Tv  star... i mean, FREDDIE, THEN PAUL and THEN Lambert???? WHO THE F*** IS LAMBERT???

• PAUL PLEASE COME BACK !!!!!!!!!!!! [img=/images/smiley/msn/cry_smile.gif][/img]

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, Thomas Tønnesen!

How are you?

Wow, what a nice and well-written and thought out post. :-)) It was really great to read it.

I agree with you on the lad's skills - he sings well, and I always think that gifted people may improve over time under the right circumstances.

Believe it or not, I'm not very optimistic about Roger and Brian, though. It hurts me to say this, but ever since Freddie died, Roger and Brian, by themselves, haven't amount to anything. I hate to say this and to think like that, but I say to myself: "It's been almost 18 - 18! - years ever since Freddie died and their relevance to music has been close to zero". It's been 18 years. I am 18 year-old - when I think about it, I mean...I'd never have heard about them if it were not for Queen and, mainly, Freddie, who after his death, as everyone tells me, became this myth and legendary figure. I was born about the same time Freddie died and I grew up without Brian May and Roger Taylor in my music horizont: I've always listened to a LOT OF MUSIC but their appeal must have been so insignificant that I had always assumed they had just retired after Queen disbanded.   

Arg, I don't like saying this, it sounds ugly, but it's how I feel, I feel as if the musical landscape, so to speak, would have remained almost the same had these two great musicians not done anything in music. "No One But You" has been the only redeeming moment perhaps - one song in 18 years, and even this song is a kind of hommage to Freddie and featured John Deacon!  

I'll stop it now because I don't like thinking this way. But it's been too much time for me to expect anything more from them, really - I just hope they're happy in whatever they do and I wish them the very best. If eventually a great album comes, I'd be thrilled and, as a fan, quite proud!, but I feel it's not happening.

To me this has much more to do with Brian and Roger than with the Adam Lambert. 

I loved your post, though. I would like to have written it myself - it's well-argued and written and I'd love to express the same feelings as you, really. I think I'm envious. :op 

Take care and congratulations for the great post!

Yara

Yara
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

Hi, Thomas Tønnesen!

How are you?

Wow, what a nice and well-written and thought out post. :-)) It was really great to read it.

I agree with you on the lad's skills - he sings well, and I always think that gifted people may improve over time under the right circumstances.

Believe it or not, I'm not very optimistic about Roger and Brian, though. It hurts me to say this, but ever since Freddie died, Roger and Brian, by themselves, haven't amount to anything. I hate to say this and to think like that, but I say to myself: "It's been almost 18 - 18! - years ever since Freddie died and their relevance to music has been close to zero". It's been 18 years. I am 18 year-old - when I think about it, I mean...I'd never have heard about them if it were not for Queen and, mainly, Freddie, who after his death, as everyone tells me, became this myth and legendary figure. I was born about the same time Freddie died and I grew up without Brian May and Roger Taylor in my music horizont: I've always listened to a LOT OF MUSIC but their appeal must have been so insignificant that I had always assumed they had just retired after Queen disbanded.   

Arg, I don't like saying this, it sounds ugly, but it's how I feel, I feel as if the musical landscape, so to speak, would have remained almost the same had these two great musicians not done anything in music. "No One But You" has been the only redeeming moment perhaps - one song in 18 years, and even this song is a kind of hommage to Freddie and featured John Deacon!  

I'll stop it now because I don't like thinking this way. But it's been too much time for me to expect anything more from them, really - I just hope they're happy in whatever they do and I wish them the very best. If eventually a great album comes, I'd be thrilled and, as a fan, quite proud!, but I feel it's not happening.

To me this has much more to do with Brian and Roger than with the Adam Lambert. 

I loved your post, though. I would like to have written it myself - it's well-argued and written and I'd love to express the same feelings as you, really. I think I'm envious. :op 

Take care and congratulations for the great post!

Yara

great post and very very true. some queenzoners don't want to admit that queen have been Insignificant since freddie died, if they admit that than they sound like freddie stefords.  i'm a fan of all four members of this band (roger the least) but the facts are the facts.  Queen are a mess without freddie.  Some Don't want to admit that. 

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having only seen the two American Idol finalists performing WATC and nothing else, I don't know what the fuss is. They're both sound like a pair of karaoke singers.