Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Were Queen really booed off stage at the 74 sunbury festival?

forum rss feed
Author

Brett5150 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brett5150
Rocker: 16 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 May 09, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Were Queen really booed off the stage at the 74 sunbury festival? I've been hearing it for years and years that it happened. Sunbury, is near Melbourne in Australia for people who dont know. I just find it odd why they were treated so badly, and why it would happen.

What is understood need not be discussed
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's been exaggerated over the years by racist assholes.  A lot of it was down to the asshole announcer, from what I've heard.  By some accounts there was plenty of people there who enjoyed Queen but anyway.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 02:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey... Its 20min away form where I live..

They were just to camp... for the time, camp was not set in, and being pomies, they did get booed...

gooddrills user not visiting Queenzone.com
gooddrills
Bohemian: 114 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fancy that, the good old Brits put on a show for our ex convicts and that's the thanks we get, charming!

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 402 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's been a long time but I remember the concert fairly well.  Queens set went down well, considering this is Australia and Queen were relativly unknown and flambouyant.  I remember them getting a lot of applause and positive response from the audience and were to do an encore, until the idiot emcee came out onstage and said something like "you don't really want to see those Pommie poofs again do you?", "You came here to see...." I forget the band, but they were popular for a while and people did not want Queen back on if it was going to make them wait a little longer.

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

coops wrote:

It's been a long time but I remember the concert fairly well.  Queens set went down well, considering this is Australia and Queen were relativly unknown and flambouyant.  I remember them getting a lot of applause and positive response from the audience and were to do an encore, until the idiot emcee came out onstage and said something like "you don't really want to see those Pommie poofs again do you?", "You came here to see...." I forget the band, but they were popular for a while and people did not want Queen back on if it was going to make them wait a little longer.  

Yeah, it went down somethign like that... and apparantly it started to rain, and thats when it really got bad...

But.... I did read that Freddie said somethign like, we will be back, and will be the biggest band...

I know that get's said allot, usually from Australian, American and UK Idol rejects, but in this case, Freddie said it, and ....well..... looks like he had the final day...

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 09, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was there some confusion with the roadies too? Ending up with Queen going on too early, due to time diff?
I think the crowd were anxious to see Madder Lake too.

Arse.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many crimes still go unanswered for today, after all these years.  One day Brian, Freddie, Roger, and John will have the answer for their actions back on that terrible day.

I still have nightmares. 

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Many crimes still go unanswered for today, after all these years.  One day Brian, Freddie, Roger, and John will have the answer for their actions back on that terrible day.

I still have nightmares. 

Say what?

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what