Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > 1979-01-30 Rotterdam - 2-source mix

forum rss feed
Author

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi folks,
it's time for another share. I promissed to Olivier to share the alternate master of the second night in Rotterdam 79, but since it had many small cuts I decided to share something more interesting - a compilation of both sources.


Taken from the readme file


Band   : Queen
Venue : Ahoy Hall, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Date    : 30. January 1979

Lineage :
Source 1 : AUD > master tape > WAV > CD(x) > WAV > Cool Edit Pro (hiss reduction, speed correction, equalisation) > WAV (*)
Source 2 : AUD > ? > CD(x) > WAV > remastering (click removal, equalisation) > WAV (**)

Tracklist :
Disc 1
 1. We Will Rock You (fast) (* / **)
 2. Let Me Entertain You (* / **)
 3. Somebody To Love (*)
 4. Fat Bottomed Girls (*)
 5. Death On Two Legs (*)
 6. Killer Queen (*)
 7. Bicycle Race (*)
 8. I'm In Love With My Car (*)
 9. Get Down, Make Love (* / **)
10. You're My Best Friend (*)

Disc 2
 1. Now I'm Here (* / **)
 2. Don't Stop Me Now (*)
 3. Spread Your Wings (*)
 4. Dreamers Ball (* / **)
 5. Love Of My Life (*)
 6. '39 (*)
 7. It's Late (*)
 8. Brighton Rock (cut) (*)
 
Length : 85:34

What the f* ? Somebody dares to boo when they here that "This next song comes from "News Of The World" ? :-)

A very nice gig again, like all the gigs from Ahoy, but unfortunately a pretty bad quality (again like all the gigs from Ahoy). The beginning of Spread Your Legs is musically very interesting, the same goes for all Brian's work today.

Two different sources appeared during the years, the first one in only "good +" quality and usually distributed with 2 last tracks (Champions and GSTQ) from a different concert, probably from the 80's. The second source
comes from a master, but still is incomplete and I would rate it as "Very Good / very good -".

The "alternate master" has many strange problems. For example for some strange reason the taper though it's a good idea to tell us where it was recorded DURING WWRY fast. There are also many small cuts (all of them are a few seconds long), and a couple of "microcuts" long only a couple of miliseconds ! The recording is full of hiss and disc 1 runs terribly fast (disc 2 runs "almost" correct). Also the length of the recording (cca 83 minutes) is strange - if he used a 90 min tape which ran too fast, where is the rest ? Or did the taper transfer his master tape not carefully enough ? Or was it simply damaged during the years ? Hard to say.

Well since I consider myself a "perfectionist" (or a madman, as some would say) I thought this concert definitely needs a 2-source mix. For most of the concert I've used the master copy, with the hiss carefully removed and restoring the original tape speed. I have also filled the gaps with the common source (including the speech during WWRY). I have kept all the cuts shorter then 1 second simply because the common source is in such a bad shape that I couldn't find the correct segments.

But for now it's probably the best representation of this gig.


Download links :

http://www.mediafire.com/?tdrzmmyonnf
http://www.mediafire.com/?qe2dddzu1nz
http://www.mediafire.com/?ltjwqzwounh
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmjyjj0yzzg
http://www.mediafire.com/?mfy2dgjnzmm

More info + photos :

http://www.queenlive.ca/queen/79-01-30.htm

Enjoy and keep lossless ! Also since this doesn't have a cover, can somebody create one ?



on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Thanks.

I've been in contact with the person who taped this show(the one from the mastertape). He sent me the cassette(and told me it's his master). The cassette sounds identical(with the hiss) to the version you used for this upload, Peter. At first I thought it was a different source from about the same length because the taper told me he had never distributed his tape. When I received it(actually a bit earlier because I spoke about it with Harry, who had a good experience with the fellow) I found out it wasn't true because he had been in contact with Harry previously(that's when the transfer we can enjoy here was done). I must say that was pretty disappointing! I sent him an email with my observations but he never replied...


Anyway, this is brilliant stuff. Check out Bob's comments on his site. Especially this version of 'It's late' is great, with the best solo I've ever heard from Brian. The confidence and precision with which he played that evening are one of a kind. I also adore his guitar work in Spread your wings and his solo in Killer Queen and Death on two legs and.... :-)



The Dutch always made sure they gave the band a great night, with their typical enthusiastic behaviour. A pity there are no great recordings for the seventies Rotterdam gigs:-(




on my way up
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



on my way up wrote:







Thanks.

I've been in contact with the person who taped this show(the one from the mastertape). He sent me the cassette(and told me it's his master). The cassette sounds identical(with the hiss) to the version you used for this upload, Peter. At first I thought it was a different source from about the same length because the taper told me he had never distributed his tape. When I received it(actually a bit earlier because I spoke about it with Harry, who had a good experience with the fellow) I found out it wasn't true because he had been in contact with Harry previously(that's when the transfer we can enjoy here was done). I must say that was pretty disappointing! I sent him an email with my observations but he never replied...


Anyway, this is brilliant stuff. Check out Bob's comments on his site. Especially this version of 'It's late' is great, with the best solo I've ever heard from Brian. The confidence and precision with which he played that evening are one of a kind. I also adore his guitar work in Spread your wings and his solo in Killer Queen and Death on two legs and.... :-)







The Dutch always made sure they gave the band a great night, with their typical enthusiastic behaviour. A pity there are no great recordings for the seventies Rotterdam gigs:-(







So it's you who brought it to public ? Thanks a lot :-)  Well it looks like there are more strange things about the alternate master, maybe the taper could post his oppinion ? If not, it of course doesn't matter, we can be VERY glad that we have at least this !

So huge thanks to the taper + Raf, and a small request - could some "Dutchman" find the time and translate the review from QueenLive ?


Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice share !!
I'm very happy with that, thanks a lot dear Pittrek !

Regards,

Olivier,
Belgium.



wanna trade ?
Satriani user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 10:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many, many thanks for this.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



pittrek wrote:



 



on my way up wrote:



 



 



 



Thanks.

I've been in contact with the person who taped this show(the one from the mastertape). He sent me the cassette(and told me it's his master). The cassette sounds identical(with the hiss) to the version you used for this upload, Peter. At first I thought it was a different source from about the same length because the taper told me he had never distributed his tape. When I received it(actually a bit earlier because I spoke about it with Harry, who had a good experience with the fellow) I found out it wasn't true because he had been in contact with Harry previously(that's when the transfer we can enjoy here was done). I must say that was pretty disappointing! I sent him an email with my observations but he never replied...


Anyway, this is brilliant stuff. Check out Bob's comments on his site. Especially this version of 'It's late' is great, with the best solo I've ever heard from Brian. The confidence and precision with which he played that evening are one of a kind. I also adore his guitar work in Spread your wings and his solo in Killer Queen and Death on two legs and.... :-)



 



 



 



The Dutch always made sure they gave the band a great night, with their typical enthusiastic behaviour. A pity there are no great recordings for the seventies Rotterdam gigs:-(



 



 



 



So it's you who brought it to public ? Thanks a lot :-)  Well it looks like there are more strange things about the alternate master, maybe the taper could post his oppinion ? If not, it of course doesn't matter, we can be VERY glad that we have at least this !

So huge thanks to the taper + Raf, and a small request - could some "Dutchman" find the time and translate the review from QueenLive ?


It was not me that brought it to the public though, that person must be Harry(since he transferred the tape together with the taper). My contacts with the taper are much more recent, early this year.

It's indeed very nice we have at least this! I'm really glad this performance from Brian was recorded. This show was recorded for Live Killers, so there's a soundboard in existence. Queen should really release a Live Killers compilation with stuff like this.

Thanks Peter for your work and generosity.

I'm having exams at the moment(the very last ever:-) but I will do my best to do some uploads the coming months.

A general note: it's great to see this place alive!








on my way up
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry, double post!







on my way up
Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great share, thanks to all involved.[img=/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif][/img]



Arse.

vivaqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
vivaqueen
Bohemian: 782 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MERCI BEAUCOUP
you're a king

riccardo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 252 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much Pittrek!

Harry_queenrecordings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Harry_queenrecordings
Bohemian: 594 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You did again a very well job, Mister Pittrek! :-) Thanks for this one.

I was actually very surprised when I heard a story that the taper of the Rotterdam master shared his tape again and saying he never shared it before! I lost contact with him a few years ago, but it is strange as he was always very trustable to me and he looked very precise in the things he did.
Off topic: The taper was also the one who shared the Houston 1977 video copy when it was (I'm quite sure about it) no where else available yet for the ''public'' traders..it was big time news. Short after, other versions came around (such as versions without the lines in the screen) as the first one had the lines in the screen.


It's A Beautiful Day...

http://www.queenrecordings.com
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Harry_queenbootlegs wrote:

You did again a very well job, Mister Pittrek! :-) Thanks for this one.

I was actually very surprised when I heard a story that the taper of the Rotterdam master shared his tape again and saying he never shared it before! I lost contact with him a few years ago, but it is strange as he was always very trustable to me and he looked very precise in the things he did.
Off topic: The taper was also the one who shared the Houston 1977 video copy when it was (I'm quite sure about it) no where else available yet for the ''public'' traders..it was big time news. Short after, other versions came around (such as versions without the lines in the screen) as the first one had the lines in the screen.


Thanks for the detailed information ! I always prefer this type of posts, where I get also some new information :-)

I guess you're talking about the original "green" Houston





PiotreQ user not visiting Queenzone.com
On QueenZone since 2003
PiotreQ
Bohemian: 888 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Pittrek!


TimBHM user not visiting Queenzone.com
TimBHM
Bohemian: 889 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks!

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 03:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for creating this mix Peter!
Also, thanks to the original taper and Harry!!

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ouch - "when they here" :) It should be "when they hear", please correct it yourself in the readme file


pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ruth.olivier wrote:

Nice share !!
I'm very happy with that, thanks a lot dear Pittrek !

Regards,

Olivier,
Belgium.

Sorry I didn't upload the alternate master, but I hope this is better :)







Harry_queenrecordings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Harry_queenrecordings
Bohemian: 594 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Mister Pittrek. I'm talking about the original ''green'' version, the first one. I got it from the taper too (I first got Houston and then later he said he also had an audience master tape of Rotterdam 1979). He told me that he recorded the whole Rottedam show, but he lost his second cassette tape. He said that Queen played ''If You Can't Beat Them'' on the second night (a bit late in the set), but I'm of course not sure if that's true. So the Rotterdam taper shared Houston in 2004 on a VHS video tape and he said he had it already for a couple of years at his home!


It's A Beautiful Day...

http://www.queenrecordings.com
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Harry_queenbootlegs wrote:

Yes, Mister Pittrek. I'm talking about the original ''green'' version, the first one. I got it from the taper too (I first got Houston and then later he said he also had an audience master tape of Rotterdam 1979). He told me that he recorded the whole Rottedam show, but he lost his second cassette tape. He said that Queen played ''If You Can't Beat Them'' on the second night (a bit late in the set), but I'm of course not sure if that's true. So the Rotterdam taper shared Houston in 2004 on a VHS video tape and he said he had it already for a couple of years at his home!


In Greg Brooks' live book he also writes down a setlist with "If you can't beat them" included. A pity he lost the other tape, it would be wonderful to hear what Brian does during IYCBT. That's a song during which Brian often sounded very inspired:-)







on my way up
Maruga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Maruga
Royalty: 1705 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank very much Pittrek!!!


Life Is A Bitch...