Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Annie Lennox should'nt of done "Under preassure" with Bowie at 92 tribute!!

forum rss feed
Author

Brett5150 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brett5150
Rocker: 16 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 09, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I loved the Freddie tribute concert back in 92', there were 2 out of place acts on the night and that was Liza Minelli, and worse of all, Annie Lennox. Truthfully, I cant stand her, and dont know how a legend like David Bowie could stand beside her while she was in that awful creation dress, while she was trying to neck Bowie at the end and nearly make love to him on stage. I reckon Gary Cherone should've done "Under pressure" with Bowie!!

What is understood need not be discussed
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 732 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 22:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I completely disagree, but I guess that's taste more than it being right or wrong.

Been a big Lennox fan for years, thought her performance was brilliant.  Just brilliant.  I think she got a performance out of Bowie that would not have happened.  Definitely not from Gary Cherone, that's for sure.  IMHO.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What do you say about Paul Young then?he really RUINED one of my fav song of all!!!I can sing it better in the loo!!!!!!

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 31 May 09, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brett5150 wrote:

Although I loved the Freddie tribute concert back in 92', there were 2 out of place acts on the night and that was Liza Minelli, and worse of all, Annie Lennox. Truthfully, I cant stand her, and dont know how a legend like David Bowie could stand beside her while she was in that awful creation dress, while she was trying to neck Bowie at the end and nearly make love to him on stage. I reckon Gary Cherone should've done "Under pressure" with Bowie!!

Hello, Brett5150!

How are you? Welcome to Queenzone! :-))

Hm. The only bit a object to in your comment is here: "dont know how a legend like Davie Bowie could stand beside her while she was in that awful creation dress".

Not only I think that weird dressing has probably been one of Bowie's minor concerns, maybe because he's dressed pretty much anything over his career!, but I think it must have been a joy to him to sing with her - why shouldn't it be? She's quite a legend too, I think, Brett5150. Don't you? One can dislike Eurythmics and all her solo career, but there's no doubt she has been highly praised and successful for and influential through both Eurythmics and her solo work. 

She's very talented and is a good musician on her own. Her voice, and the way she takes advantage of her exquisite and a bit rare tone, is just a joy to listen to.

I thought it was great, as an hommage to Freddie, that someone like her was there - she's a respected, talented and almost legendary figure too.  

As for the performance, I liked it - Bowie and Annie did a good job there. Under Pressure is a very hard song to pull off live anyway, and they lived up to the occasion - the performance has its flaws, no doubt, but is very energetic and exciting. There's a lot of enthusiasm and the build up to the climax is well done. 

Again: nothing out of the blue, but not bad at all either, I think. 

Bowie would eventually team with a wonderfully gifted bassist and singer - Gail Ann Dorsey - and deliver, to my taste, the best live versions of this song!

Needless to say, this is all my very personal taste. 

Thanks a lot for the thread and welcome to the community!

Yara

Yara
Daniel Nester

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie didn't duck those high notes like Freddie did whenever he performed it live.  Brian tried for it, so did Annie.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Daniel Nester

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie didn't duck those high notes like Freddie did whenever he performed it live.  Brian tried for it, so did Annie.

LucTonnerre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest, UNDER PRESSURE is the best song of the whole set. It still makes me cry. Lennox/Bowie are absolutely fantastic.

Reid_Special_98 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 08:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

POINTLESS THREAD.

Reid_Special_98 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just because you're not a fan of Annie Lennox or Liza Manelli makes no difference to what happened 17 years ago. Looking back on it now, Liza Manelli was alot more down to earth than she appears to be now -- and that's a plus. At the time, Annie Lennox had her first solo album in the UK charts (a #1 album I might add) -- so it made sense to include her into the mix, along  with Metallica, and Guns N' Roses etc...these were popular bands of that time so having them on the concert would appeal to fans who weren't necessarily die-hard Queen fans.

As far as why Liza Manelli was included on the concert ? Do some research my friend. Google 'Freddie Mercury' and 'Liza Manelli'.....and you should get your answer fairly quickly.

So before you do more postings about this -- think about the context and who these people are and their importance to both the people and the time.

ps...welcome to Queenzone.

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 854 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I felt Annie Lennox singing Under Pressure at FMT was the weakest performance till I downloaded and watched Innuendo.

Unlike Freddie, Bowie doesn't have it in him to sing it by himself. I think they should have tried with Sinead O' Connor (I hope I spelt that right). She had a number 1 hit in that year too, so she was well-known. And I think she would have been able to hit the high notes better.

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 854 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:
Bowie would eventually team with a wonderfully gifted bassist and singer - Gail Ann Dorsey - and deliver, to my taste, the best live versions of this song!

Does she feature in the "Reality Tour"? The performance on the live DVD of that tour is truly awsome. The best live version, IMO.

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still wonder what happened with Monserrat??

Apart from Bri, Rog and John... she was the most important person in Freddie´s professional life.

And huge friends too...

Queen rocks!
Claudio_CQI user not visiting Queenzone.com
Oh yes, we'll keep on tryin'..
Claudio_CQI
Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like UP, but it's a matter of taste. Robert Plant was the weakest singer of the night IMO.

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ParisNair wrote:

Unlike Freddie, Bowie doesn't have it in him to sing it by himself. I think they should have tried with Sinead O' Connor (I hope I spelt that right). She had a number 1 hit in that year too, so she was well-known. And I think she would have been able to hit the high notes better.

Wow, Sinead O'Connor would have been great singing Innuendo.

I love Annie Lennox's voice, only have Eurithmics Ultimate Collection cd though, not the original cds.  I'm dithering about getting her solo album.  I love her voice.  I liked her and Bowie in Under Pressure.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I missed the most in that show was a bit more of Brian and a lot more from Roger but I guess if you have other major acts there you had to do it like that.

The worst performers on the night had to be Paul Yong and Robert Plant. The latter's case is very sad because (if you haven't heard the performance) it seemed like a match made in heaven. Would have been something like Elvis being alive to perform Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

Roger should have sung Ga Ga and A kind of magic, the latter while drumming like in 2008.

Also, The Scorpions were big around those years, weren't they? They should have performed and not just stand there at the end. What if the show went on an extra 45 minutes or so?

Regarding UP, I liked the song but Annie's dress and her humping on Bowie was a bit difficult to look at. Reminds me of the Asian reporter humping Bowie's leg in the Family Guy movie (Ooh baby, just you shut your mouth...)  Classic :).

vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember a Rolling Stone interview that year where Lennox said that she disliked tribute concerts and she showed there only because she wanted to sing with Bowie. She told the interviewer that those kind of concerts were very spinal tap to her.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11011 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brett5150 wrote:

Has it taken you 17 years to form an opinion, or have you been evolving opposable thumbs all this time?

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 09, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ParisNair wrote:

Yara wrote:

Does she feature in the "Reality Tour"? The performance on the live DVD of that tour is truly awsome. The best live version, IMO.

Hi, ParisNair!

How are you?

Yes, she's there! Isn't it a superb version? She's a wonderful singer and bassist and David Bowie has this uncanny talent for bringing great, though sometimes marginilized, musicians to the forefront. They played the song many times over the years and I think some of the live versions are simply definitive.

Great song, great musicians.

Take care and have a nice day!

Yara

Yara
SaskQueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 09, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Really, who cares what she wore? She did the duet with Bowie, and while I'm not a big Annie Lennox fan, I thought she was quite good. Yeah, maybe the outfit was a bit outlandish, but they, maybe it was here way of paying another little tribute to Freddie! I bet he would have loved it... and what did people want to her to do? Wear a long red-haired wig and a bikini??? 

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 09, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a fan.  I think it was a bit too "Me, Me, Me" on the part of Lennox.  

Having said that; Cherone singing "Under Pressure"?  What are you on, laudanum?  Send me some thanks ...

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller