Author

MmP user not visiting Queenzone.com
I like HotSpace FunIt &Delilah
MmP
Champion: 85 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jun 09, 21:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

About the Album:

Besides some argueable exceptions, the album sounds with an enormous lack of ideas. Some the songs are just too simple and direct, no swagger nor intersting approaches, just music. And there's no doubt that this led to a bad tour as well.

Don't you guys find this particular tour pretty much boring compared to the other ones?

I've seen pretty much every concert of the tour that has been video taped and to be honest you can't compare it with any of the other tour's concerts. There's no energy, no vibre and practically no interaction between any of the four. They just seem to play through the songs but not enjoy it, or have the same kind of passion they had showed in previous years.
It's even more evident when you compare a mega concert like Rock in Rio with '86 Wembley. In Rio you found practically no energy or passion and sadly they seemed bored and tired. 
Or maybe you can compare something even smaller and take Radio Gaga from any concert of The Works tour and compare it with the Magic Tour's Radio Ga Ga, and my point it's just there.

During the tour, Freddie strangely has not the same kind of energy of previous years and to sum up the bad things his voice it's probably at the lowest point of his carreer.
To me there's no doubt why Brian said in interview that they were feeling in a slump and they were thinking of taking a while before getting together again. Thank god Live Aid, I think it probably saved Queen for the best. What would have happened if they've stopped? Probably we wouldn't have gotten the great Magic Tour and no A Kind Of Magic album either. Things probably would have been a lot different.

I have a man-crush on Brian's solo on Delilah
Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1058 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 09, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's an interesting analysis especially when you consdier that this album brought them back.

After Back Chat they had taken a while out.  If Radio Gaga hadn't hit that would probably have been the end of them.

I thought the four singles were strong and the videos were too.  The success of the Works was really the reason they were invited onto Live Aid.

Overall the album wasn't strong, especially with the 1980s trick of only 9 songs.  I don't play it much anymore.

Cheers.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 09, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the album and the tour and Radio is one of my fav songs.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 402 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 09, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You may be right, but I saw them several times on that tour, including a few nights at Wembley Arena, and my ears are still ringing.  It was a great show.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 09, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually liked The Works and the subsequent tour.

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 09, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't comment on the tour but I'm of mixed feelings about the album. On one hand, there aren't any bad tracks. Every song is at least pretty good, with a few (KPTOW, Radio, IWTBF, Machines, Hammer To Fall) being great. In fact, even my least favourite songs (MOTP, IAHL, Tear It Up) are still quite good, although for some reason the start of IAHL turns me off. Anyway IMO it's one of the few 80's albums with no disappointing tracks.

I have, however, two problems with it: it's too short and there aren't any 'quiet' tracks. I think that 9 tracks is too short, and unlike AKOM, it feels short. I mean, it would be one thing if there were a couple of long tracks, but none of the tracks are all that long. None of them feel long either.

Additionally, there aren't any tracks which don't feel like hits to me. One of my joys of previous Queen albums was discovering songs which weren't hits, and which the average music fan might not have heard of; 'Jesus' off the first album, 'Nevermore' off Queen II, 'Lilli of the Valley' and 'Dear Friends' off SHA and 'Sleeping on the Sidewalk' off NOTW. There weren't any tracks like that on The Works. Even ITTWWC sounds to me like Queen's 'Heal The World' song. If they had released 9 singles, that wouldn't have surprised me. That to me, is problematic as I love the idea of discovering a song on an album, which had never been released as a single, or if it had, then had only been released as the b-side, and in other words was not a hit. The Works, which was quite good IMO, comes across to me as a collection of hits, rather than a unified, coherent work.

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well this will back up what the last poster said, that every single & the xmas track included all the non a-sides as their respective b-sides, but Queen most likely intentionally did this after the apparent failure of Hot Space making it a very commerical & radio friendly album, I'm still amazed I Go Crazy was left off the album

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the album had nice songwriting, but except for Hard Life, not good enough to have come from Queen: compare Break Free with You And I, Tear It Up with The Prophet's Song or Man on the Prowl with Bohemian Rhapsody. Ga Ga isn't a bad song per se, but I prefer loads of others by Rog: I'm In Love With My Car, Drowse...

Same for arrangements and recordings: five years prior, Taylor was playing marvellous and underrated drum-bits on Dead on Time and Leaving Home. Now it was a programmed machine or a simple pattern that couldn't be more unoriginal or predictable; ten years earlier, Dr May was overdubbing White Queen and Procession with an extraordinary guitar ensemble; now he contented himself with a stupid slide solo on Radio Ga Ga; back in the 70's, the dirty work was made by Queen themselves, and guest musicians were mostly doing irrelevant things (castanets, spoken or sung one-liners). Now they have Fred Mandel on half the album, Mack programming another track...

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Sebastian

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I think the album had nice songwriting, but except for Hard Life, not good enough to have come from Queen: compare Break Free with You And I, Tear It Up with The Prophet's Song or Man on the Prowl with Bohemian Rhapsody. Ga Ga isn't a bad song per se, but I prefer loads of others by Rog: I'm In Love With My Car, Drowse...

It's funny, as IAHL is one of my least favourite songs on the album. The interesting thing about Radio is that while I think it's alot better than much of Roger's earlier stuff (I think he got better as he matured with most of his best work being in Queen's last 10+ years), and in fact while I do think it's a terrific song, it's a song that I admire more than I love. I'm not as fond of the cold singing style that Freddie adopts and the music is also quite cold. Great song, but among Tyler songs,admittedly my least favourite song-writer by some way, I think I prefer Heaven For Everyone, A Kind of Magic, or even Fight From The Inside.

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the Works, but I didn't care much for the tour.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't listened to the whole album for as long as I can remember. I recall being very disappointed when The Works came out. All the pre-release media/press had promised a harder album and a "return to form". Instead, we got a lightweight album with only one trademark Queen song (Its a Hard Life), two rock songs (the excellent Hammer to Fall and awful Tear It Up -- no wonder John Deacon looked bored all the time), Radio Ga Ga, which felt like one long moan that fans had deserted Queen (the same could be said of I Go Crazy), Machines (interesting and reasonably heavy), some forgetable lightweight pop (Break Free, Windows), and ITTWWC -- a studio version of the live version of Love of My Life!

The 12-inch versions were very sloppy and dull. Despite Queen needing a hit album, the Works feels like it was put together by a bunch of rich guys who treated "Queen" like a chore they did when they weren't enjoying their wealth.

The live shows were something else though. I saw them at the RDS both nights and they rocked hard. I recall that Kerrang reviewed one of their shows in England and the reviewer was amazed how heavy they were. Stone Cold Crazy is amazing live.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8684 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

I haven't listened to the whole album for as long as I can remember. I recall being very disappointed when The Works came out. All the pre-release media/press had promised a harder album and a "return to form". Instead, we got a lightweight album with only one trademark Queen song (Its a Hard Life), two rock songs (the excellent Hammer to Fall and awful Tear It Up -- no wonder John Deacon looked bored all the time), Radio Ga Ga, which felt like one long moan that fans had deserted Queen (the same could be said of I Go Crazy), Machines (interesting and reasonably heavy), some forgetable lightweight pop (Break Free, Windows), and ITTWWC -- a studio version of the live version of Love of My Life!

The 12-inch versions were very sloppy and dull. Despite Queen needing a hit album, the Works feels like it was put together by a bunch of rich guys who treated "Queen" like a chore they did when they weren't enjoying their wealth.

The live shows were something else though. I saw them at the RDS both nights and they rocked hard. I recall that Kerrang reviewed one of their shows in England and the reviewer was amazed how heavy they were. Stone Cold Crazy is amazing live.

Couldn't agree more. Give me Strange Frontier and Mr Bad Guy anytime!

Killed by drones.
MmP user not visiting Queenzone.com
I like HotSpace FunIt &Delilah
MmP
Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 09, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

First of all I want to correct my self when I spoke about the album. I do consider it is an improvement in terms of music and creativity from Hot Space, no doubt. But like Holly2003 said: it's a litghtweight album. Very light to me compared to the previous Queen albums.
Despite this most of the songs are more than enjoyable, though I find this album as the continuity of the down slide of Queen.

Does anyone knows why it was called The Works?

I have a man-crush on Brian's solo on Delilah

Posted: 05 Jun 09, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MmP wrote:

Does anyone knows why it was called The Works?

Didn't Roger make a comment along the lines of 'let's give them the works!'? I think that's how the album got its album, although for such a short album with so many production and instrument light songs, they didn't really give us the works.

mechaman89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 61 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 09, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Works>A Kind of Magic

"get get develop"

Posted: 05 Jun 09, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IAHL is one of my least favourite songs on The Works, but several people seem to love it. How come? What makes IAHL such a great song, or more to the point, such a Queenian song in people's eyes?

Sebastian

Posted: 05 Jun 09, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Things that make IAHL as classic Queen as it gets:

- Backing track of piano, bass and drums in a similar way to Bo Rhap, Jealousy, etc.
- Deliberately Bohemian Rhapsody-esque guitar solo
- Guitar harmonies in a very 70's way
- Powerful backing vocals... loads of them
- No synths
- Sad, yet hopeful, love-lyrics (think about Love of My Life, for instance)
- Flat-side keys: B-Flat Major, E-Flat Major... both very reminiscent of the golden era
- First verse is preceded by a piano motif played twice over the Bb chord, exactly like Bo Rhap
- Intro doesn't re-appear anywhere in the song, like Bo Rhap
- The lift progression is basically the same as Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy (chorus), and in the same key
- Andalusian cadence (before the solo), which Fred hadn't used since Great King Rat and Liar (modified)
- Relatively long melody content (as opposed to their contemporary singles like Break Free or Body Language)
- While not complicated, it's still well-thought in terms of harmony and arrangements, like most Fred's piano ballads.
- Three choruses, but they're all different, just like Killer Queen

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 09, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bravo, Sebastian !! [img=/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif][/img]

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 09, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the works for me is a second tier queen album, not great, nor horrible. These are my rating for each song.
1 out of 10 score.  It's a hard life is genious in my opinion.

Radio ga ga-  10/10
tear it up- 6/10
hard life-  10/10,    masterpiece, my favorite song on the album.
MOTP-  6/10
machines-  7/10
break free-  8/10,   Not my favorite song, but people like it
passing windows-  9/10,  always liked this song, except the lryic "love is all you need"
hammer to fall-  10/10,  a classic
world we created-  8/10,  nice song, and wembly versions even better
I go crazy- 8/10,  should have been on the original album.