Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Innuendo vs hot Space

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i heard time and time again that freddie's vocals are at it's best on Innuendo, but IMO hot space has better vocal performances.  only 3 songs from Innuendo are superb vocally, the title track, don't try so hard and the show must go on.  slightly mad is a diffucult track to sing, but hot space his voice is overall stronger. Cool cat, under pressure,  action this day, staying power.  I'm not saying hot space as an album is better or even close to equal to the great innuendo, I'm Just comparing vocals.  The three albums freddie's voice peaked are "opera"  "Notw"  hot space.  Barcelona is also among his best vocals.  Then "races" and then Innuendo.

Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Freds voice was very strong on Innuendo. Unfortunately he was singing like there was no tomorrow which obviously, for him, there wasn´t. Despite some fine performances I think you can still hear the illness in his voice. Hot Space was a more healthy and youthful Fred close to peak of his powers. If I had to choose a period I would say that Jazz through to Space was is purple patch. Just listen to DUST, the brilliant performance on DON´T STOP ME or STAYING POWER to name a few. Also his best live performances come from this period.

Big Fish
Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By The Works and subsequent tour he was passed his best.Of course he was on the Fags by then. No pun intended.

Big Fish
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 05:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When it comes to vocals I prefer Hot Space.
Innuendo sounds fake to me. Pitched vocals I think.

In terms of vocals, I think Queen's best concert tour was the Hot Space tour.
The '80 and '81 tours where great too...

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say these were Freddie's vocally strongest periods on stage...

May 1977
December 1979
July 1980
December 1980 - November 1981
May - June 1982

As for albums, I agree, Hot Space was probably Freddie's strongest, with Jazz coming in as a close second.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When it comes to vocals I prefer Hot Space.
Innuendo sounds fake to me. Pitched vocals I think.

I completely agree.

Those vocals WERE altered.  It was confirmed to me by Brian May.  When else did Brian (and Roger for that matter) report that Freddie "never sounded better".  They went out of their way to let us know that Freddie gave his best performance ever on the last album.  Huh?  Please Brian!!!

Everyone, by now, knows just how ill Freddie was.  Look at the videos.  You're telling me THAT man was able to belt out better notes than ever?  Truth is, they probably had to spend a lot of extra time fixing it without making Fred sound like Cher.

Hot Space rocks.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

I'd say these were Freddie's vocally strongest periods on stage...

May 1977
December 1979
July 1980
December 1980 - November 1981
May - June 1982

As for albums, I agree, Hot Space was probably Freddie's strongest, with Jazz coming in as a close second.

Do you mean: from december 1980 all through 1981(including the South-American concerts)?

on my way up
The Real Wizard

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

Do you mean: from december 1980 all through 1981(including the South-American concerts)?

I do.  He was pretty spectacular at most of the 81 shows.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

interesting,  I can't bring myself to say Innuendo was altered.  he sang his heart out on that album, but I don't think it was his best.   I still think A night at the opera has to be up there.  Jazz?....some great performances, but the production makes his voice sound thinner than usual.  hot space his voice is flawless, that's the reason why i stick up for that album. It's an enjoyable listen for me.   Next up is a brian may thread.  his best playing album.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

on my way up wrote:

I do.  He was pretty spectacular at most of the 81 shows.

I agree;-)

on my way up
ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GOOD THREAD!

Yes, IMO Freddie's voice did peak around 80-82

He sounds a bit worn out on The Works - interviewed at the time (by Simon Bates) he does refer to the voice being more 'husky'

The subsequent Works tour is even worse - the texture all but gone as he shouted most of the songs: Live in Rio a prime example

AKOM suffers from the same 'shouted' vocal technique - when he reverted to actual singing, on Innuendo  -  it ws all there even though the vocal did sound a little thin and processed

marcenciels user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot space is a very strong vocal work by Freddie. i think that Jazz is as strong. it's  the musical style that may be confusion to some ?
anyhow, from about '78 to '82, he was in his zone.

Innuendo...

what was the order of recording these songs ? by dates. was he feeling good, not too tired ?

studio tricks or not...

he gave the best of whatever power he had left in his soul, on bad or better days. on that, i think we can all agree.

doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sure, he was in his prime around the Hot Space album, and he was dying during Innuendo. I think the odds were work in favor of Hot Space.

That said, I would much rather listen to his dying voice on good songs rather than his great voice on bad songs. Mr. Bad Guy may have his best voice, but I can't bear to listen to it to find out.

Sebastian user is on Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 09, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doxonrox wrote:

Sure, he was in his prime around the Hot Space album, and he was dying during Innuendo. I think the odds were work in favor of Hot Space.

That said, I would much rather listen to his dying voice on good songs rather than his great voice on bad songs. Mr. Bad Guy may have his best voice, but I can't bear to listen to it to find out.

Very good point: the song matters a lot. A brilliant voice can be misspent on a shite song.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 09, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, hate on me if you want...Innuendo was by far some of my favorite singing. No question he was in fine shape for Hot Space, but by the time Innuendo came around, he may have been dying, but even Brian May said he just got better and better.

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
Wolfmother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 09, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

personally, fred's voice was the best during the middle 70's, "opera" to "the game".  beyond that his vocals seem almost secondary.   Not to say they are any less potent, but they just don't seem as powerful or produced as his later stuff

Maxwell Loignon

Posted: 09 Jun 09, 01:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

doxonrox wrote:

Very good point: the song matters a lot. A brilliant voice can be misspent on a shite song.

shit songs of course is a matter of opinion. hot space isn't shit IMO,  but isn't vintage Queen either.
Mr. bad guy does have some of freds strongest vocals, but IMO most of the songs are shit, lol.

Posted: 09 Jun 09, 01:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bambams-paradise wrote:

Sorry, hate on me if you want...Innuendo was by far some of my favorite singing. No question he was in fine shape for Hot Space, but by the time Innuendo came around, he may have been dying, but even Brian May said he just got better and better.

lol, why would anyone hate on you?....Innuendo does have some great vocals,  the show must go on is a brilliant performance.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 09 Jun 09, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doxonrox wrote:

Then the piano demos of those songs on the boxed set are essential listening.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 09, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, doxonrox, Hot Space is shit.  Ok, dude.

Perhaps you could give us all an example of a better piece of falsetto singing than Cool Cat.

I won't even limit you to Freddie.  Pick anyone.  Any song.  That is if you even recognize the talent involved in falsetto.  You're probably one of those guys that makes Aaron Neville jokes, even mixes in some goiter humor.  C'mon man, you're a broken record.  You keep being Mr. Classic Rock guy... maybe Boston will make another album for you.