Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Roger confirms tour next year

forum rss feed
Author

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the latest fan club mag issue Roger confirms that he and Brian have discussed "going out on tour together" in 2010...watch this space...nother defined yet but sounds like it will just be the two of them as 'Queen' and then I guess the usual backing guys?

Looking forward to it already!!!!!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 04:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This would be a disaster if it were to happen.

It'd be like one of those awful SAS gigs - kind of a Queen Karaoke show where, rather than hear it for free at your local pub, you have to fork out £30-£50 per ticket for the privillege.

Benn
Togg

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"One of those awful SAS gigs"   What...I have been to several and they are great
Sorry but I just don't get why people say they like the band, they like the music but don't like when they play live or release a new album.

Fred anit coming back but I guess some folk feel he was the only reason to follow Queen? Not me, I still think they work well together.

Roger is a pretty unique singer and could / does a great job on the tracks he sings, Brian has a weaker voice but on many of his songs it works just fine.

This could be a chance to hear some of the lesser known tracks Tenement Funster perhaps?

Why would this be a disaster?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

another tour.great.where can i buy tickets lol.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think many people haven´t forgotten those awful gigs they did from 2000-2004. Almost all the gigs they did were with 1 extra drummer, female backing singers and too many guest vocalists. I didn't think much of those gigs, when you look at the half an hour set they did at the first 46664 gig, the only cool performance, in my opinion, was The Call. Because it didn't feature other singers.

It would really be great seeing Brian and Roger together as Queen, but I'm afraid they will think that they can't do a 2,5 hour show on their own, so they have to use extra vocalists. I'm afraid all the magic of the Queen + Paul Rodgers shows will be gone, In my opinion the 2000-2004 shows with guests always sounded like some pubband playing Queensongs.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
blackshuck03 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe it will be a double solo set with roger doing one half then brian doing the other.

they both have good bands when touring previously

QUEEN THE LEGEND LIVES ON
Togg

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No word on what form they will take as yet but from my point of view I would be interested to see a mixture of Queen's back cat sung by either of them plus others, so if they chose to bring along other vocalists I would have no problem

Thing is I like 'live' shows ranging from all types of music, so I go to Rock, Soul, Country, Classical, pop, I just like music, and when it comes to rock, Queen  or members of is my focal point, so whatever they decide to do I will go and hopefully enjoy it, I am not hung up on the It's not Queen or it was better before stuff, because I saw it, and that was then and this is now, nothing can take that away so whatever they do now I treat as something new to experience.

Rogers stuff with The Cross and his early solo shows were bloody rough, watching him in a shed in guildford was great, the sound was awful the lights were two bulbs and a sparkler, but it was live and there was energy, lots of energy.

I am always happy to see them do there stuff, I love hearing the power of them together in whatever form

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this would be great. The highlights for QPR were just the two of them on stage. I'd like to see them do smaller sized gigs though, maybe cut the length of the show and as said above... throw a few wildcard numbers in.

I loved seeing them with Paul R, but he did look like he was going through the motions in the last tour whereas Bri and Rog seemed to be bloody lovin it.

They have improved HUGELY since the 2000-2004 period and remember that they weren't touring regularly at that point... it was just a bunch of one off gigs. Don't you think they'd prepare a bit better for a full tour than they did for those gigs???

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's hoping: Small venues, including Bri's + Rog's solo tracks...
Bring it on!

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

Here's hoping: Small venues, including Bri's + Rog's solo tracks...
Bring it on!

Seconding that !

and no guest singers, please !

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
argQ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn´t close the Q+PR chapter yet. Beyond some Paul´s words in the press, there wasn´t any official annoucement about the end of colaboration. Maybe they will be back next year, why not?

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will WATCH THIS SPACE until then.

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remain dubious and suspicious of any talk of guest singers, but I think in theory, if they were to adopt a low key approach, this could work with the two of them sharing vocals. Im sure stuff like BoRap would remain a Freddie tape regardless.

Neither of them have the voices they once had - Roger drumming and singing is a bit too breathless for my tastes, and Brian has always struggled to give a brilliant singing performance while playing brilliantly, and his voice tends to give out on him quite quickly, but maybe with some good rehearsal and proper vocal warm ups pre-show they can work through it.

If the set wasnt a greatest hits set per se, but included some more interesting choices it could be awesome.
They could roll out some of the album track gems like White Queen and really play stuff which would only attract fans who own the albums and not just the Platinum Collection.
They might have to accept a drop down to theatre size, but I cant see it working as an arena tour anyway.

I'll watch with interest anyway to see how this goes - I think its cool they seem to be keen to continue to work together again.

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd love to see Brian and Roger do this - but I just hope they'll focus on Queenfans, and not Joe Public who has Greatest Hits 1 and 2 who thinks that Mamma Mia is a song by Queen. If they go out and play basically the same tracks as they did with Paul no-one is going home satisfied (unless Brian suddenly can pull of I Want It All or Tie Your Mother Down - which I seriously doubt). If they decide to go for small arenas (4000-5000 people max?) AND put in some serious rehearsaltime I'm convinced this could be a great thing. I can't even imagine how great it would be to see Brian and Roger doing stuff like Tenement Funster, Long Away and other forgotten gems.

But I seriously doubt that Brian will do this. I can't imagine him pulling out A Day At The Races from the shelf and learning the lyrics to Long Away. From the rumours regarding the last tour it seems he's happy playing the same old setlist every night without any rehearsing or creativity. I don't blame him - he's been more creative in his entire life than most of us would be in 10 lifetimes and I can imagine him wanting to spend his time doing other things than writing and performing music. But if they decide to go ahead and tour together - I hope Brian will put his heart into it and not make a half-arsed effort like he apparently did with TCR and it's following tour. I'd love to hear some really kick-ass Brian guitarriff like he used to write 'em (Business anyone?) and not some average rocktrack which samples his old band.

And for god's sake - keep Eric Singer as far away as possible from this. And the FABBA girls can stay home too, unless they get down on their knees and entertain the entire frontrow while the band plays Get Down Make Love.

last-horizon 42265 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 251 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Based on facts from the past, I cannot see why this cannot happen. I am not saying that this is what we would really want, but I think that this set list is on the realistic side:

Tie Your Mother Down - B
Hammer To Fall - B
Headlong - B
I Want It All - B
I Want To Break Free - R
Ride The Wild Wind - R
A Kind Of Magic - R

Stage-B set:
Love Of My Life - B
Long Away - B
'39 - B
No-One But You - B/R
Drum Solo - R
I'm In Love With My Car - R
Tenement Funster - R
Say It's Not True - R
These Are The Days Of Our Lives - R

Now I'm Here - B
Guitar Solo / Last Horizon - B
Heaven For Everyone - R
I Was Born To Love You - B/R
Under Pressure - B/R

Encore #1:
Fat Bottomed Girls - B
BoRhap - F (slow) / B (fast)
Radio Ga Ga - R

Encore #2:
The Show Must Go On - B/R
WWRY (Slow) - R
WWRY (Fast) - B
We Are The Champions - F (verses) / B/R (choruses)

Why not?

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The image that comes to my mind immediately upon thinking of this setup is Brian playing acoustic guitar and Roger sitting next to him playing tambourine and singing Small.  These kind of low-key, subtle moments (a la IWBTLY in Japan) are what would make this work.

Man Made Paradise
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shane Jazz wrote:

The image that comes to my mind immediately upon thinking of this setup is Brian playing acoustic guitar and Roger sitting next to him playing tambourine and singing Small.  These kind of low-key, subtle moments (a la IWBTLY in Japan) are what would make this work. 

Exactly. The most magical moments during the 2005 and 2008 tours were Brian and Roger playing together and messing around. I haven't seen the enjoyment they seemed to have during the ending of AKOM each night in the last 15 years or so.

Queen Matt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 107 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last-Horizon wrote:

Based on facts from the past, I cannot see why this cannot happen. I am not saying that this is what we would really want, but I think that this set list is on the realistic side:

Tie Your Mother Down - B
Hammer To Fall - B
Headlong - B
I Want It All - B
I Want To Break Free - R
Ride The Wild Wind - R
A Kind Of Magic - R

Stage-B set:
Love Of My Life - B
Long Away - B
'39 - B
No-One But You - B/R
Drum Solo - R
I'm In Love With My Car - R
Tenement Funster - R
Say It's Not True - R
These Are The Days Of Our Lives - R

Now I'm Here - B
Guitar Solo / Last Horizon - B
Heaven For Everyone - R
I Was Born To Love You - B/R
Under Pressure - B/R

Encore #1:
Fat Bottomed Girls - B
BoRhap - F (slow) / B (fast)
Radio Ga Ga - R

Encore #2:
The Show Must Go On - B/R
WWRY (Slow) - R
WWRY (Fast) - B
We Are The Champions - F (verses) / B/R (choruses)

Why not?

This sounds like a good setlist but i would like to see Driven By You in the list i was suprised this didnt make an apperance with Paul.I think We Belive could be on there too,Also a Rog solo song mayby No more fun.

silver_salmon user not visiting Queenzone.com
silver_salmon
Bohemian: 342 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let Me live with Freddie's tapes would be great!! and then R & B.

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 09, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shane Jazz wrote:

Listening to that recording still gives me the chills.  The good kind. 

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.