Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Michael Jackson Dead

forum rss feed
Author

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jun 09, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I tihnk with all due respect his death won't mean as much as Lennon or Mercury to me. I was actually shocked by the fact I didn't really feel anything. With all the circus that surrounded him I found it hard not to let it effect my thoughts on the music, a bit like Gary Glitter the two go hand in hand. The one good thing is at least his three children stand a chance now of normality.

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 09, 20:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He was a great artist anyway though I really dislike his private life,he will be a legend like Freddie,Lennon,Harrison.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
ActionThisDay user not visiting Queenzone.com
Every little thing helps ;-)
ActionThisDay
Bohemian: 256 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 09, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maxpower wrote:

I tihnk with all due respect his death won't mean as much as Lennon or Mercury to me. I was actually shocked by the fact I didn't really feel anything. With all the circus that surrounded him I found it hard not to let it effect my thoughts on the music, a bit like Gary Glitter the two go hand in hand. The one good thing is at least his three children stand a chance now of normality.

Despite what you thought of him he was still a human being and even though I was never a great fan of his music he was the one along with Louis Armstrong, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, and Stevie Wonder made not only male black music acceptable to the white classes but broke he all the barriers too.

As for him being compared to Gary Kid Fliddler.........Mr Glitter is and doesn't hide the fact and maybe Jackson was and if he was he'll have to answer to god now, but despite if he was or wasn't he wrote some bloody good songs.....and bad ones too (Earth Song).

R.I.P

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2144 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 09, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Jackson made some of the most catchy music ever. He was in a league all of his own(Thriller is a milestone in popular music).

Very sad news.

on my way up
i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 09, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The news has left me in a state of shock

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 09, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddies Lunch Box wrote:

Awful joke.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 09, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

L-R-TIGER1994 wrote:

Freddies Lunch Box wrote:

Awful joke.

Build a bridge and get over it..

absento user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 88 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 09, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael was a great musician and he had a huge impact on pop music, and pop culture is so much bigger then any other musical style. He will be truly missed. RIP.

Stalinesque user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stalinesque
Champion: 68 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[img=/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif][/img]  and I was looking forward to the Queen + Michael Jackson Tour

Buy the reissiued Josef Stalin album - Big Boobs, which influenced Queen to release Hot Space - Out Now - with the new previously unreleased track: Gulag For Everyone
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18452 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Simply the greatest.  He was a genre.

RIP.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 02:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RIP, sad news, really.

wanna trade ?
pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10013 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved his music in the 80's. His 90's work sucked, and I didn't like all the "hints" about his "sex life", but still he stays in my mind as the king of 80's music

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11011 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ActionThisDay wrote:

Despite what you thought of him he was still a human being...

As for him being compared to Gary Kid Fliddler.........Mr Glitter is and doesn't hide the fact and maybe Jackson was and if he was he'll have to answer to god now...

So your point is that Jackson deserves more respect because he

a) didn't prey on children as obviously as Glitter (which is open to debate, tbh)
b) is dead

I've been unsure as to whether to air this, but since someone else has opened the gate...

What is the difference between Michael Jackson & Gary Glitter?

More record sales.

That's it.

And yet today Jackson is being reinvented as a brilliant musician with a dodgy streak, whereas Glitter's death will have him portrayed as a disgusting pervert who once made a couple of records.

RogerTaylorNet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am totally shocked about his sudden death. RIP

Shameless Advertising!

http://www.roger-taylor.net
Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

I loved his music in the 80's. His 90's work sucked, and I didn't like all the "hints" about his "sex life", but still he stays in my mind as the king of 80's music

100% agree, whether we like it or not, as a musician, he was a real highlight of the 80's, you couldn't walk into a bar and sit for three hours long without hearing a Michael Jackson song on the radio, well that's an achievement. What he became after that is just another debate. As a musician at least it wasn't as good as in the 80's.
I would have hoped he did that last series of shows in London (even if I am sure this would not have been that great in fact, too many shows, too "old", too tiring to be excellent all the time), and then retire in his own world, or go to jail, or whatever.
God, Van Halen, Slash, Toto musicians and lots of others played for the guy (Van Halen even played without being payed as he wanted to and regretted later !), Mc Cartney, even our dear Freddie (who wasn't really used to that), now that's a real achievement I guess.
So in my opinion, the Michael Jackson from the 80's, the real interesting one, was already dead. For the rest, I don't give a damn.

Now, up there, he and Freddie will probably have the time to achieve "Victory", so I guess we should watch at the forum in the coming months ;o)

Regards,

Olivier,
Freddie.

wanna trade ?
dan the man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone, ive been coming here a while but this is my first post. I just felt i had to argue why Micheal Jackson should be remembered greatly and fondly as oppossed to certain peoples views here.

Yes but do we really care about songs such as "Do You Wanna Touch Me, Yeah" or "Doing Alright With The Boys"? Gary glitter, in retrospect, even had dodgy song titles.

I bet most people on here enjoy Micheal Jackson's songs such as Thriller, Billy Jean or Smooth Criminal.

The main difference is that Glitter was caught red handed and no evidence was ever found for Micheal. Plus the mentall assessment made around the time of the 03-05 trial by Dr Stan Katz was that he had become a regressed 10 year old and did not fit the profile for a peadophile.

Now when you bear in mind his father was forceful, abusive, and baisically made him perform, denying him of a normal childhood then this would be more likely?

Also this morning on BBC Breakfast news in the UK there was an itnerview wth afan,impersontor and one time press decoy deouble for Jackson. While it could be argued he was biased from a fans point of view, he did say that he couldnt even be charged on gorunds of supply of alcohol to minors, and in my opinion, had an underlying context saying he was baisicaly having the life he couldnt have, but wanted when he was a child.

The interview should be on the BBc news website somewhere.

Just my 2 cent on the matter

more Queen and Rush songs for guitar hero please. and how about any led zep while your at it.
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11011 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dan the man wrote:

Yes but do we really care about songs such as "Do You Wanna Touch Me, Yeah" or "Doing Alright With The Boys"? Gary glitter, in retrospect, even had dodgy song titles.

I bet most people on here enjoy Micheal Jackson's songs such as Thriller, Billy Jean or Smooth Criminal.

1. Using hindsight is too easy.
2. Many people enjoyed Glitter's songs before it became socially unacceptable to do so.
3. Dodgy song titles?  What did PYT stand for?  Is "Can't Let Her get Away" about kidnap?  "Give In To Me" takes on a whole new meaning...if you're just going to cherrypick songtitles.

The fact that Jackson could afford better lawyers is the only difference I can see. 

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6242 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While I wasn't a big fan or ever had his full catalogue, I did listen to his music quite often, and my daughter loved Billie Jean, Beat It, Earth Song and Ben since she was a toddler. MJ was also one of those people that came up in conversations every other day, and just last year I'd bought his autobiography and read it over a weekend. As much as his 90's stuff was slammed by the public and the critics, I did love You Are Not Alone and actually the only reason why I watched 'Scary Movie III' was the nod to him. As a big pop fan (you all know about how I like the Spice Girls and BSB) I used to like 3T as well, and occasionally listened to Why (awful song anyway) and I Need You (love it to death); We Are the World is of course one of those tracks that defined my generation.

I admired George Harrison and Pavarotti a hell of a lot more, but I've been feeling even worse this time... the whole 'unexpected' factor plays a key role here. I mean, rumours about his health were always coming, but never about his life being in risk. On Monday I was in a bus and Thriller came on the radio, as usual, and I remember somebody said something about 'he'd better tour soon before he disintegrates'... painfully prophetic.

My interest for his music had been revived earlier this year when I lent 'Moonwalk' to a friend (who btw never gave it back to me, and believe it or not yesterday morning I was thinking about reminding her of that), and especially with the BGT (Connie, Signature, Shaheen, the three anoraks who played Beat It on keyboards, the odd Rowan Atkinson look-alike on the Darth Vader suit, and even the producers of the show seemed to be huge fans since his music was often in the background).

Last April, when I took my kid to the 'Hannah Montana' film I told her that Michael had dated Brooke Shields and we spent all the afternoon playing his videos, just like in the old days. She was overwhelmed by seeing how he'd been virtually everywhere (The Simpsons, the Beatles' catalogue, Pepsi) and how even kids her age were with Thriller already in their DNA (both the album, the video and the song).

I'm still in disbelief - never thought I'd feel this way. It's like a part of me has gone for ever. Talking about MJ in past tense is not something I wasn't expecting to do until at least the 2030's.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's really sad that Penetration Guru feels the need to focus on the child sex scandals when Michael Jackson had so much more to offer.
Let's not forget that he had his head set on fire, was married to Elvis Presley's daughter, slept in a coffin, dangled his baby from a hotel window, was addicted to pain-killers, had his nose fall off, lost millions of dollars and countless other things that we can make fun of.

I know it's not like the run up to Jade Goody's death, when we had weeks to come up with good jokes but we have to learn to pace ourselves.

fatty.

Queen Matt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 107 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 09, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

R.I.P Jacko you were a legend