Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Question about brian may's guitar sound live

forum rss feed
Author

lemonysnick123 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 280 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 09, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why does Brian May's guitar sound thin at wembley and at houston but on almost all the other soundboard recordings the guitar sounds just fine?  just curious

Owner of the (now-deceased) lemonysnick123 Youtube Channel

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3039 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 09, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't help as to why, but I do agree that on all the available Wembley mixes it does sound 'thin' indeed.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 09, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its probably more to do with the way the sound is mixed at the desk. I would think. Having seen Brian 4 times now, I can say that his sound on stage is anything but thin. There is times when he does switch a thin sound when soloing to get that "scream" effect (Bo Rhap's first solo and TYMD come to mind) but as soon as the solo is over, he switches back to a fuller sound.

That said though, some outdoor gigs can be fraught will all sorts of technical difficulties which can affect the sound, wind being one of them.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 09, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a matter of the guitar-track(s) having been poorly equalized, resulting in the 'body' of the sound getting buried in the mix (a process similar to sound masking, but accidental rather than deliberate) because of too great an overlap in the frequency spectrums of different instruments.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3039 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 09, 07:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

That said though, some outdoor gigs can be fraught will all sorts of technical difficulties which can affect the sound, wind being one of them.

I agree - my guitarist has wind frequently, which can really ruin the gig for I tell ya!

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 09, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just read the article (Guitarist '85) where Brian tells about repairing  his guitar. Particularly pickups. I guess it doesn't explain everything, but maybe takes place as well as environment and studio techniques

Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 09, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wembley sounded like brand new strings, treble booster too high and not enough overdrive. For classic BM tone compare wembley to the bowl. As far as the body of his sound being buried in the mix - i just don´t buy it. When you hear him riffing alone (beginning of Tear it up)it´s still sounds squeeky and thin and if it´s was a mix problem you would think that at least it would have been sorted out at the ´´engineering for dvd´´ stage.

Big Fish
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 09, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I haven't seen anyone with the answer that I've seen on the BHM forum, so, I might as well post it.

It's nothing to do with mixing boards or bad equalising. It had been thought of, but dismissed when someone recreated the sound with the same equipment...

Basically, some peeps over at BHM all seemed to have an idea about the booster section he used specifically at that gig. Brian was using a "TB-83" and a "TB-83 extra" together to do something (I'm not sure what) to the sound. And I also remember something about a long guitar lead as part of this setup also helping to produce the resulting sound heard on Wembley.

Think I have reproduced this theory correctly :)

Adam.