Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Why Mr. Bad Guy was a flop?

forum rss feed
Author

MmP user not visiting Queenzone.com
I like HotSpace FunIt &Delilah
MmP
Champion: 85 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 01:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course, the results in terms of music are not Freddie's best. But I wonder why it failed even with Freddie's putting effort on it. He was a great composer, it's rare not to see even one good hit. When you have Freddie's talent at least one good song has to come out of it and eventually become a hit but I don't really see it there.

There are great songs  Mr Bad Guy, Made In Heaven, I Was Born To Love You,  Man Made Paradise.
But no hit song at all, really strange to me. And even more strange is that great songs have came up from people mixes! We all know the 3 or 4 from Living on My Own that are great but: Fooling Around and My Love Is Dangerous remixes are just miles better than the originals!. I don't know what Freddie tryed to do with this album but rarely s seemed to struggle. He seems to have something but did not quite got there enough a perfect probe of this: Let's Turn It On (which seems more like a good project of song, with great idea but not there at all).

By the wat My Love Is Dangerous Jeff Lord-Alge remix it's just marvellous, even more if you comparte it with the original track, which seems a demo actually...

I have a man-crush on Brian's solo on Delilah
GT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 799 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I take it you are talking about the US releases and not the big success it was in the UK.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 02:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the album wasa flop because it wasn't very good, it's as simple as that. Of course Mr. bad guy has some good songs, like love me like there's no tomorrow,  but overall was a weak effort.

kirkpatrickuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love Kills - No.10 UK (not on the album I know but the advance single from the sessions)I Was Born To Love You - No.11 UK

Mr Bad Guy (album) - No.6 UK
I recall that it was pretty popular in the UK at the time. Also, remember that getting to number 6 in the charts meant selling an awful lot more in 1985 than it does now. Actually, it'd be interesting to compare sales of 'The Cosmos Rocks' to 'Mr Bad Guy' as they have similar chart performances.

kirkpatrickuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 03:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, compare it to a solo career like Mick Jaggers for example. Certainly more success for Freddie.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely - a big success in the UK following the success of The Works the previous year; no one could get enough of Queen at that stage, given the radio friendliness of their material and Freddie's disco / pop sensibility was absolutely made for the mid 1980's.  Interestingly, I've always wondered what would have happened had The Works been released in 1982 and Hot Space in 1984 - my feeling is that the material would have transfered better in terms of people's understanding of the market and the dance / rock amalgamation.

Musically, Mr Bad Guy is pretty embarassing (for me as a lover of guitar-based rock and Freddie's voice as an accompaniment to it), but his voice and his songs are incredibly strong.  The album is fun and ably displays his ability of move across genres at random.  Also, it's as good an example of a showcase for potential producers (such as Andrew Lloyd-Webber) as you could possibly hope to hear.

No surprise that it failed in the USA given the poodle-rock phenomenon of the time - it went way over the heads of American consumers........funnily enough.............

Benn
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It probably failed in the States for the same reason Ga Ga and Break Free did. All in all, while the album wasn't crap, it was way below what one would expect from Freddie. I admit I've only heard the album once, and then never again.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian,

You're right to not listen to it too much.  It's incredibly weak and thin sounding on the music front.  In all honesty, Freddie would have been better issuing an a-capella version of the album as opposed to hiring third-rate musicians who then tried to ape the Queen sound.

The best material to have come from the Mr Bad Guy sessions appeared on the FM solo box set and was the vocal-only tracks.

You'd never believe that this was the same artist responsible for the bulk of the arrangements within Queen and then produced Barcelona, would you?

Still, I believe it was more of an exercise in just having fun without the hassle of the rest of Queen and, to be fair to Fred, it worked for him, if not "us".

Benn
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Those alternative versions found on the BoxSet are indeed great, and they show how some of the songs had potential to be great. I suppose that the 'Mr Bad Guy' treatment would've ruined even gems such as A Hard Life or Somebody to Love.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
beachj user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually,It was not a complete flop,at least in the uk,reaching about number 6.Freddie only considered himself as one quarter of Queen,so was pretty chuffed,all told.In America,it just wasn't the type of music that Queen fans wanted,and at that time their popularity had waned a bit,so there you have it.Looking back,there are some great tracks on it,More to life than this will be great with some Jackson vocals on as well....I would say very different to Queen,but not a patch on Barcelona.

princetom user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 09, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Bad guy most likely was for the money, not for the music...it's just a bunch of songs...

...and curt cress on the drums... hum...a good session player technically... but no feeling.
imo. some of the songs were worth of further treatment. the album's done in a hurry. just pop. that's all. 

prince[tOM]
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 09, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always loved the title track, and I think Love Kills had a great tune.  Way too much 80's for me, on the whole though.  It passes the point of being nifty or quaint and just becomes offensive to the ear.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 09, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

princetom wrote:

Mr. Bad guy most likely was for the money, not for the music...it's just a bunch of songs...

...and curt cress on the drums... hum...a good session player technically... but no feeling.
imo. some of the songs were worth of further treatment. the album's done in a hurry. just pop. that's all. 

it was an album that wasn't made for the money, or anything else. I think freddie wanted too have some fun making some dance songs.  Explore different sounds without the rest of queen in his way.  Some of the songs are good. The title track is a good one, but why didn't he hire better musicans?....I don't get it.  Brain hired one of the best drummers around in cozy powell for his solo album...  Barcelona had mike moran on keyboard and the great cabelle on vocals.  Mr. bad guy could have been good with some real players.

Mr Prime Jive user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 09, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Every tracks looks like a demo... approximative interpretations, bad synths.. Foxy Lady anyone ? OMG...

Who wants some prime jive ?
real lifer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 09, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MBG was the album that made me aware of Queen, my Uncle bought it at Slane when the Magic tour hit Ireland- then the adventure began...which led me to Queen.
Again based on the various books that have been released, most imply that MBG only hit no: 6 on the charts after the live aid performance- there's never been any indication if this is correct or incorrect by any of the bio's i've read and no reference to the position prior to the live aid performance.
the album itself, well it was an attempt to do something outside of the Queen format and it succeeded in doing that. Think, Phil Lynott with his solo albums while Thin Lizzy were still together, an avenue essentially to offload some ideas that would never find a home on a band album-I don't think that means that the songs have any less value but more that it's not a band mentality that present when they are being recorded.
personally, i like the album: IWBTLY is a cracking track, buoyant and upbeat-not the usual crap when it comes to love songs- it's probably one of the most upbeat love songs I've ever heard.
I like the album but there ya go- its all only opinion I suppose

MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 839 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 09, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oddly enough, I got a call from my father about two weeks ago. He was at my Grandmother's house cleaning out a closet & he found this album burried in there. I guess I left it there 23-24 some years ago. I told him to toss it in the trash.

"Take care of those you call your own"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 09, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

princetom wrote:

some of the songs were worth of further treatment. the album's done in a hurry. just pop. that's all.

Enter Made In Heaven.  Thank goodness.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 09, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Mr.Bad Guy. There was a sad period in my life and I would listen to the songs a lot. Every single day and especially night I would play them. And they corresponded to my state. And helped. I cherish it much!

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 09, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Put Stop All The Fighting on Your Kind Of Lover place and then She Blows Hot And Cold instead of Foolin' Around - and it'll make the album a little better for me. Indeed TFMA/TGP remixes are better than some original versions.

QUEEN1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 09, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Radio Ga-Ga" wasn't a flop in USA, it just lacked of airplay.

"Mr Bad Guy" was a moderate success in Europe, based on chart positions. It sold 110,000 copies in 1985 alone in UK.