forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jul 09, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2357900.aspx

When's the last time a prog album was in the top 10?  Thirty years ago?

It's undoubtedly their strongest and most consistent album since 1999's Scenes From A Memory.  They have finally returned to focusing on the SONG and not on the instrumental section in the middle of the song that actually has nothing to do with the song in the first place.  After the boredom and generally derivative nature that was most of Systematic Chaos, the holders of the prog torch are back at last.  This is the accessible album they haven't created since Images And Words, even though 4 of the songs are over 10 minutes long.

Bravo for DT and progressive music as a whole.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 09, 03:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good to see music in the top ten!!!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 09, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting. I just hope the label they're signed to won't make them "go commercial" upon this.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 09, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm happy for them, they've consistently produced good music for ages now. I saw them live a few weeks ago and they're even better in person.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 09, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they want to be really famous they need to introduce some dance routines into their stage show, really crank it up a notch...

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 09, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm really digging the fact that metal in general is becoming more popular in the US. Iron Maiden's most recent album entered the charts at #9 and Judas Priest's Nostradamus reached #11(their highest position yet). Furthermore, Children of Bodom's Bloodrunk, a DEATH METAL album("extreme power metal", if you will) for fuck's sake reached #22 last year, which is very good for a genre as awesome, abrasive and extreme as death metal. Opeth's last reached #28 as far as I remember. Dethklok's awesome debut is, however, the highest charting (Melodic) Death Metal album, at #21. Slightly off-topic, but is it just me or is Pantera really heavier than a lot of death metal bands?

I really love and respect Dream Theater. I've met, or rather, "sighted" John Petrucci a few months back at a concert. Felt really awesome. :D

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Stephan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 09, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

#6 on the U.S. Billboard charts
#1 in Finland
#3 in German
#3 in Holland
#7 in Canada
#7 in Norway
#5 in Italy (just behind 4 italian artists)
#2 in Hungary
#2 in Japan
#3 in Sweden
#7 in Mexico
#9 in France

and ...

#1 on European album charts (according to Billboard)

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 09, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great chart debuts. What about the UK? Anyway, these guys totally deserve it.

*death grunt* Keep fucking supporting metal!!! *gasp*

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 09, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great news. Let's see if I finally get hold of the album the next weekend!!!

Congrats to the guys!

Yara
The Real Wizard

Posted: 06 Jul 09, 01:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be fair, the recession is probably lending a helping hand.

Think about it...

A fair chunk of the teeny-boppers aren't buying music in these tough times, downloading it for free instead.  But fans of decent music, including Dream Theater fans, will never stop purchasing the tangible product.

Either way, it's a great triumph of music over mass-consumption.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 09, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just to keep the topic going.........

I have not heard the new album, other than the Queen covers, because Roadrunner Records JUST shipped my order Thursday.

So much for trying to be loyal.  Went to Best Buy over the weekend, and had to NOT purchase BC&SL.

Thanks for reviewing the new release here.  Have read good reviews from other sources.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
The Real Wizard

Posted: 07 Jul 09, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*goodco* wrote:

Roadrunner Records JUST shipped my order Thursday.

So much for trying to be loyal.  Went to Best Buy over the weekend, and had to NOT purchase BC&SL.

Sorry you had to go through that.  I hope they have a good explanation.

As for the record itself... hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 09, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dream Theater are great. I had the chance to see them once at the Royal Albert Hall. I didn't go though. I wish I did.... :(

Posted: 08 Jul 09, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As always with DT, it's going to take more than a few spins to grasp each track.  I'm getting too old to enjoy the 'cookie monster' vocals that rear their ugly head too often for my liking, as well as an overabundence of Petrucci's speed metal. 

'A Nightmare to Remember'....the middle five minutes should have been a song on its own (melody-wise).  The intro is terrific, can see this as the opening concert number (unless a 16 minute track is too long). 
'Rite of Passage'...it's OK. 
'Wither' ...withered and wilted.  I love the semi-ballads of the band.  Not this one. 
'Shattered Fortress'.....glad Mike is done with his 12 Steps offerings.  Including new snippets of the previous tracks of his saga is rather unique.  Not sure if it works for me or not. 
'Best of Times'.....maybe I think of Styx too much with the song title, and this could have been shortened. 
'Count'....as with all their long tracks, there are parts I like, but not over the entire 18 minutes. 

Sadly, I've enjoyed the cover version disk more.

I'm spoiled from 'Images', 'Scenes', 'Six Degrees' (minus 'The Great Debate'), and 'Octavarium'.  I even prefer most of 'Falling Into Infinity' to this release.  Those albums were more my style.

These are my first impressions.  I hated 'Systematic Chaos' at first and second listen, but other than 'Dark Eternal Night', grew to like it.

posted 7/14

Posted: 14 Jul 09, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just a bump due to an error in chronological listings here

The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Jul 09, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of DT's last 6 discs, five of them grew on me over time.  Upon every listen, one or two more tracks would go into the win column.

Systematic Chaos didn't go over with me because so much of the album is technical wankery that just isn't musical to me.  It's like they stitched in excessive instrumental sections that had absolutely no relation to the actual songs, most of which weren't too strong to begin with.  They must have clued into that, because Black Clouds is a complete 180 from SC in that respect.

On Black Clouds, to me the last three tracks are the strongest.  But the first three are stronger than anything on SC (other than perhaps The Ministry Of Lost Souls) because they are focused on the songwriting.  That's when virtually any band are at their best.

Give it another few spins.  Patience will be greatly rewarded.

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 09, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I still didn't get the album. Believe it or not. The store I go to has almost DT's entire catalogue bar the new release. They said it'll be there by the weekend. Let's see.

I like the Budokan gig DVD. People who are more into DT than me don't seem to like it that much. : -( 

A friend told me to buy "scenes from new york" or something like that and said I'd like it. Let's see...

I liked "Train of Thought" a lot. It's one of the few cds of their catalogue that I have. 

Well...this is my DT expertise: Image and Words, Octavarium, Train of Thought and the Budokan gig. lol 

Let's hope I can finally get it next weekend. I liked they selected more unusual - though arguably as good as or better than many hits - Queen songs.

Curious to listen to the covers and the whole album. 

Great thread!

Yara

Yara
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 09, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would it be worth buying this album for the Queen covers alone?

Let me put it differently: is it a suitable album to get into DT?

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 14 Jul 09, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Buy it!

I think that you should probably like "Images & Words" and "Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory". The new album is great (not only because of the Queen cover) but "Images & Words" and "Scenes From A Memory" are definitely their strongest outputs, because they are "catchier" and less heavy than some other albums. Moreover, "Images" and "Scenes" show their singer James LaBrie at his best (a lot of high, operatic singing).

"But I was also, by one of those strange alignments of the planets, able to see the band who have just delivered what my mate Rog called (totally unprompted last week) "The best Queen cover job ever". Yes, the redoubtable Dream Theatre. IT was a revelation. Their scope is way beyond covering Ancient Rock Bands, of course ... and actually way beyond Rock, I'd say. They are what would have been called, about 30 years ago - truly 'progressive, with more than a touch of fusion'. But their musicianship is way beyond even that. The whole band are virtuosos ... I'm kind of ashamed I never discovered them before. Their set was completely without any hint of 'playing to the Gallery'. They took their time mapping out their songs, which I can only say succulently drip with the best kind of complexity. Wonderful playing. I will be back for more. So will about 80,000 Classic Rock fans who gave them a great reception in the old "Monsters of Rock" fields - what we all used to know as the Donnington Castle gig."  (Brian May after visiting a gig of Dream Theater at the Download Festival)

“Bloody hell… DREAM THEATER seem to be amazing … thanks. I had not heard this… Beautifully done… great vocals … great musicianship … great production… and … Cop that solo in ‘Tenement Funster’!! Ouch! Thanks… ! Love it. and it’s a great compliment to us… OK … I have to hear more now. Great to hear someone ‘do’ our stuff, and fathom all our conjuring tricks, and then add some great new ones of their own.” (Brian May)

Posted: 14 Jul 09, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick (and all the other guys who are interested in exploring DT music),

please check out these clips on Youtube:

Grand Finale / Losing Time (2002) -> very powerful and operatic, extreme vocal part at 2:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvTcOynhaek

Hollow Years (1997) -> amazing ballad with a Queen influenced guitar solo at 6:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6k1VdgNeKE

A Fortune In Lies (1989) -> amazing rock song, both heavy and melodic, amazing vocals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0zQsRgEXTY

and two songs from the amazing debut album "Images & Words"

Another Day (by far the best vocal performance in rock history)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axSSXzMumlg

Surrounded (very catchy song with amazing vocals and an intro you probably know...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrJlPiyX_s

P.S. You can very easily find the Queen medley on Youtube.

Do you like it???