Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen gig LAST WEEK?

forum rss feed
Author

Bad Seed user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bad Seed
Bohemian: 520 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to today's Sunday Express, multi millionaire Hugh Sloane threw a birthday party for his wife last week. Queen, The Who and The Sugababes all played at the private party for 250 people which lasted till 1:30am.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cool. Great to see what money can buy.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very disappointing if this is true, whoring themselves out to the mega-rich. I wonder did they do "Is this the world we created?"

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WHAT need you, being come to sense,
But fumble in a greasy till
And add the halfpence to the pence
And prayer to shivering prayer, until
You have dried the marrow from the bone;
For men were born to pray and save:
Romantic Queen’s dead and gone,
It’s with Mercury in the grave.

(Apologies to W.B Yeats)

Arse.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18616 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Very disappointing if this is true, whoring themselves out to the mega-rich. I wonder did they do "Is this the world we created?"

Tonnes of artists do it... it's no big deal, really.  A gig is a gig.  They're musicians, like any other.  What's the difference if it's 10,000 people of varied economic status, or a few wealthy people paying for a private event?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't care if tons of artists do it. Millions drive drunk, does it make it OK?

Having said that, I agree there's nothing wrong with playing for money... it's their time after all. Now, if they'd attacked that kind of activity and then kneel down for a tycoon, that'd be hypocrit, like slamming reality shows and then appearing on AI.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Hello
Marknow

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They can play for who they want, when they want to, I doubt anyone has any issue with that.
It does look a bit two faced though when you rent yourself out to investment bankers while touting an anti-capitalist musical around the globe.

Would be nice to know what they played, Im guessing it was just Brian & Roger?
I doubt Brian will be speaking about it on his soapbox though.

Arse.

Walter B. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Extract from the SAS Band newsletter:

"After a much needed break during springtime we've returned renewed and refreshed - not bad considering our combined age! There have been a couple of corporate and private shows already, the most noticeable of which featured our good friend Roger Taylor and a first time visit from Roger Daltrey of The Who. We even managed to get them to perform a duet together at the end of the night. As they were both "unannounced special guests", the crowd were completely surprised when the two Rogers hit the stage - everyone went bonkers! Other guests on the show were The Sugababes, who are a really nice bunch of girls. We also had the pleasure of working with them last year in Hyde Park at Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday shenanigans. It was great performing with them again. They are very professional and great fun! On this show they performed a selection of their greatest hits, then came back to sing our finale, "With A Little Help From My Friends", which involved the two Rogers, Patti Russo and Jeff Scott Soto. A good time was had by all - band and audience! It's a combination that well certainly try to repeat."

Hello
Marknow

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't read the Express, but it seems to have the same journalistic merit as The Beano.

Arse.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice, Roger Taylor and Roger Daltrey on one evening. Maybe we'll see a Queen + Roger Daltrey tour next year ;-)

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Holly2003 wrote:

Tonnes of artists do it... it's no big deal, really.  A gig is a gig.  They're musicians, like any other.  What's the difference if it's 10,000 people of varied economic status, or a few wealthy people paying for a private event?

"The people in cheaper seats clap, the rest of you just rattle your jewelry"

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why is this so bad? all artists do gigs for money? and they may as well milk their cash-cow, while there's a pulse left in it....

and - compared to their Sun City gigs in the 80s....this is comparatively unblemishing the queen history...btw - whatever happened to the second half of the sun city up/download?

go deo na hÉireann
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Sugababes and Roger Taylor in one room? Holy shite. The lucky bastard.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

The Royalist user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Royalist
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Surely they have enough of OUR money without thinking they are Mozart and start playing to commision? I sincerely hope this story (rumour?) is not true.
The Queen legend has been tarnished enough.
As I've said before, there is only one true genius in Queen.
Freddie.

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They call Roger Taylor Queen and Roger Daltrey The Who?he could have invited Paul Mc Cartney and had had The Beatles also.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6371 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 09, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Sir GH wrote:

Holly2003 wrote:

Political correctness crap ...

I can't believe so many people are complaining about this.  Did they club baby seals?  It is their choice of who they play for and when.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 09, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Sir GH wrote:

Holly2003 wrote:

Seen what tickets to concerts go for these days? I'm about to plop down $55 apiece for my wife and I to drive three hours to see Journey, because the show 45 minutes from our house doesn't have any tickets priced under $90. And I don't mean "they're sold out," I mean they don't have any. There are no "cheaper seats" anymore.

If Roger wants to make a few bucks on the side by playing a private gig here and there with Spike & Co., more power to him. Whatever keeps him energized and (hopefully) up for a US tour.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
leia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 34 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 09, 02:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If everyone on this forum added £/$ 30 to a kitty fund knowing we'd get ourselves a private gig by the band in a secret location, so other fans wouldn't get in, I'm sure we'd all add to the fund. 

As it seems they played under the SAS band name rather than there own, this doesn't make it a Queen or Who gig for that matter.  Just a couple of friends helping out another friends band at a private gig.  Let's not forget that after the Wembley gig in 86 at the after show party, did the band get up and do a small private gig that night, and lots of other people joined in?  So really this sort of thing has been going on for ages.

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 09, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Nice, Roger Taylor and Roger Daltrey on one evening. Maybe we'll see a Queen + Roger Daltrey tour next year ;-)

No thanks

Daltrey's voice is sadly lacking now.A few years ago,he sang Highbury Highs.Oh God.Cringeworthy or what!! 

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 09, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

... also, it seems it was RMT alone, no mention of the other ....

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)