Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Dream Setlist

forum rss feed
Author

Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89
Bohemian: 185 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Simply state what would, in your opinion, be the perfect setlist for a Queen show. Also include post-touring songs in setlist if desired. Here's mine:

One Vision
        Headlong
        Death On Two Legs
        Tear It Up/ Seven Seas(both complete)
        A Kind Of Magic
        Staying Power
        Doing Alright/Melancholy Blues/ Lover Boy (medley)
        Play The Game
        I Want To Break Free
        Somebody To Love/ Dragon Attack (medley)
        Now I'm Here
        Love Of My Life
        Is This The World We Created
        These Are The Days Of Our Lives
        The Hero
        Hammer To Fall
        Crazy Little Thing Called Love
        Under Pressure
        Radio GaGa
        Fat Bottomed Girls
        Dont Stop Me Now
        Dead On Time
        Calling All Girls
        Breakthru
        Brighton Rock
        Bohemian Rhapsody
        We Will Rock You
        Hang On In There
        We Are The Champions/ Lap Of Gods Revisited
        God Save The Queen

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey there!

How are ya?

Are you sure about these medleys? They sound terrible: the song that follows cannot efface the feeling of the song that comes before. The result would sound dreadful. Are you sure you'd like to have the funny well-spirited "Good old-fashioned lover boy" following "My Melancholy Blues", which is, by the way, such a distinctive, intimate act that begs for some silence after its rendition?

I have lots of quibbles about Queen's live performances, but I have to admit that they usually got the medley idea right. The way they were able to make both "Now I'm Here" and, even more flawlessly, "Put Out The Fire" lead seemlessly into Dragon Attack was great. Same goes for "Death On Two Legs - Killer Queen - Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy": the way Freddie manages to retain the motif of Death On Two Legs while preparing the song for the beginning of Killer Queen was a joy to listen to. The seamless way the songs lead into each other shows how creative Freddie could be on stage.

Brian would attach Dragon Attack to different songs in such a pristine way that it does convey the idea of a bigger tune or a coherent set of songs which could be played not only could, but should be played without breaks! 

I listen to the studio stuff and I sometimes miss the live tricks. Funny.

Anyway, mine:
1) The Hero 
2) Put Out The Fire
3) We Will Rock You Fast
4-6) Dreamer's ball - Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy - Millionaire Waltz
7) Death On Two Legs
8) Play The Game
9) Under Pressure
10) If You Can't Beat Them
11) My Melancholy Blues
12) '39
13-14) All Dead All Dead - Sleeping On The Sidewalk
16) Save Me
16-18) Now I'm Here - Dragon Attack - It's Late (full)
19) Love of My Life
20) Hammer To Fall
21) Keep Yourself Alive
22) Who Wants To Live Forever
23) We Will Rock You (slow)

----

Encore:
24) Bohemian Rhapsody
25) We Are The Champions
26) Somebody To Love
27) God Save The Queen 

----

A realistic set, I think, given Freddie's physical conditions.  And they wouldn't need to waste time playing Killer Queen the way they did. :))

I'm even accepting leave some of my favorites - Let Me Entertain You, Staying Power, Action This Day... - to spare him so that he could sing the whole concert. Hehehe.

---

Regards,
Yara

Yara
Queenfan1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfan1995
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think yare set was better

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find it a shame that they never performed Who Needs You live.

Imagine the following: John and Brian both seated on stools, playing Spanish guitars, and Roger behind his small drumkit. Freddie doing lead vocals and Brian/Roger assisting him in the harmonies.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

Are you sure about these medleys? They sound terrible: the song that follows cannot efface the feeling of the song that comes before. The result would sound dreadful. Are you sure you'd like to have the funny well-spirited "Good old-fashioned lover boy" following "My Melancholy Blues", which is, by the way, such a distinctive, intimate act that begs for some silence after its rendition?

Perhaps a long introspective piano solo/noodling effect would soothe that transition from "My Melancholy Blues" to "Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy."  Or...change the tempo of GO-FLB...starting slowly, with that sort of "My Melancholy Blues"-ish piano riff, gradually increasing tempo and character to the version that we know from the recording. 

There are ways!  [img=/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif][/img]    

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah. I meant for there to be some improv room if needed in the medleys, and those arent neccessarily the order I would have the songs in the medley performed. Its simply which songs I would HAVE in the medley. Not neccessarily in the same order though. I do get your point though. For some reason Doing Alright/Melancholy/Lover Boy would be a good medley. I mean, look at the way in '82 that they put ATD and then PTG and Staying Power. They werent in a medley but they were pretty different songs.

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara's list was very good,,, but she forghot to pu "I'm in love with my car"

P.A

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed. How can you have a Queen show w/o a Roger vocal showcase! ^_^

fran1979 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dont Forget Innuendo!!!

merman

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh shit! I knew I forgot something! Innuendo would be frickin amazing live!!!

doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

Hey there!

How are ya?

Have you ever heard an early Queen album? Or in fact, the medleys they did play live? If all of the songs in a medley sound the same and have the same atmosphere, it's boring as hell - or in your words, terrible.

Their early medleys included one that ran Killer Queen/ March of the Black Queen/ Bring Back That Leroy Brown. Not exactly songs "effacing the feeling of the song that comes before". I thought his medleys showed some imagination and would have been fun - like a typical Queen medley. Nice list Divine (except for Calling All Girls followed by Breakthru - that's a bathroom break!).

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for your praise. Sorry but Im a sucker for Hot space and The Miracle!

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doxonrox wrote:

Yara wrote:

Hey there!

How are ya?

Have you ever heard an early Queen album? Or in fact, the medleys they did play live? If all of the songs in a medley sound the same and have the same atmosphere, it's boring as hell - or in your words, terrible.

Their early medleys included one that ran Killer Queen/ March of the Black Queen/ Bring Back That Leroy Brown. Not exactly songs "effacing the feeling of the song that comes before". I thought his medleys showed some imagination and would have been fun - like a typical Queen medley. Nice list Divine (except for Calling All Girls followed by Breakthru - that's a bathroom break!).

Hi, doxonorox!

How are you?

Hm. Are you sure there hasn't been a misunderstanding? I basically wrote in other words what you wrote above, my dear. Look out:

Have you ever heard an early Queen album? Or in fact, the medleys they did play live?

I wrote: "I have lots of quibbles about Queen's live performances, but I have to admit that they usually got the medley idea right. The way they were able to make both "Now I'm Here" and, even more flawlessly, "Put Out The Fire" lead seemlessly into Dragon Attack was great. Same goes for "Death On Two Legs - Killer Queen - Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy": the way Freddie manages to retain the motif of Death On Two Legs while preparing the song for the beginning of Killer Queen was a joy to listen to. The seamless way the songs lead into each other shows how creative Freddie could be on stage."

If you, and not me, had wrote that above, I'd have no doubt that you had not only heard the medleys they did play live but I'd take your post for what it means: a praise of the guy's creativity in putting the songs together.

If all of the songs in a medley sound the same and have the same atmosphere, it's boring as hell - or in your words, terrible.

For sure. But if the set of songs is so disjointed that one thing doesn't lead naturally to the other, the result is a pointless mess in which one song quickly effaces the other and disturbs the pleasure of listening to them - which would be the case if instead of a much-needed pause after My Melancholy Blues, an intimate song which demands an introspective, lingering effect, they got right away into a funny well-spirited song like Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy: the audience, I think, would not even be in the right mood to enjoy the song...

Do you think that "Somebody to Love + Dragon Attack" is a good medley? If there's a song they really knew how to manipulate as to make it a killer seamless sequence to what came right before was Dragon Attack! Both "Now I'm Here" and "Put Out The Fire" lead beautifully and squarely into Dragon Attack.   

Their early medleys included one that ran Killer Queen/ March of the Black Queen/ Bring Back That Leroy Brown. Not exactly songs "effacing the feeling of the song that comes before". I thought his medleys showed some imagination and would have been fun - like a typical Queen medley.

So you agree with me that the guys were very creative in conceiving and shaping these medleys? They included even "Death On Two Legs/ Killer Queen/ Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy", as I said, and the result was often wonderful, as in Houston '77 or one of the killer Argentinian gigs where they added other songs: mustapha, I'm in love with my car, and so on. The medley at the Apollo in 1977 is wonderful.  

I wrote: "Brian would attach Dragon Attack to different songs in such a pristine way that it does convey the idea of a bigger tune or a coherent set of songs which not only could, but should be played without breaks!"

I even added: "I listen to the studio stuff and I sometimes miss the live tricks. Funny."

I think we have more points in common, Doxonorox, than disagreements. At least that's my impression!

Take care and I wish you the best!

Best regards,
Yara 

Yara

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow. I never thought that simply asking peoples dream setlists would start a big debate/sub topic over medleys. Thanks for actually posting your dream setlist Yara. This was not said with a harsh tone.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 03:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the case that they ever tour with Paul again ...

Cosmos Rocks tape intro
Cosmos Rockin'
We Will Rock You (fast)
Tie Your Mother Down
Let Me Entertain You
If You Can't Beat Them
Breakthru
The Hitman
Rock'n'Roll Fantasy
Shooting Star
Wishing Well
A Little Bit Of Love
Staying Power
Warboys
I Want It All
Keep Youself Alive / Drum Solo / I'm In Love With My Car / Stone Cold Crazy
Brighton Rock / Guitar Solo / Bijou / Last Horizon / Football Fight / Attack Of The Hawk Men / Vultan's Theme / Flash Theme / The Hero / Brighton Rock (reprise)
Seagull
Love Of My Life
'39
Dreamers Ball
Say It's Not True
Innuendo (Paul on acoustic guitar)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Paul on acoustic guitar)
Feel Like Makin' Love (Paul on acoustic guitar)
Now I'm Here
Don't Stop Me Now
Bad Company
Small (incl. reprise as taped outro)
encore gap
Surf's Up, School's Out (complete with taped intro)
C'lebrity
The Show Must Go On
encore gap
We Will Rock You
Sheer Heart Attack
All Right Now
We Are The Champions
God Save The Queen

little foetus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 500 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 05:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you think they will be still alive after 4 h 30 of show? :P

Thunder Intro
Let Me Entertain You
Tie Your Mother Down
Ogre Battle
White Queen
The Millionaire Waltz
Somebody To Love
Death On Two Legs
Great King Rat
Dreamers Ball
39’
Love Of My Life
You Take My Breath Away
My Melancholy Blues
Save Me
Don’t Stop Me Now
Spread Your Wings
Breakthru
It’s Late
Bohemian Rhapsody
Hammer To Fall
I Want It All
In The Laps Of the Gods…revisited
 (1st encore)
Liar
The Show Must Go On
(2nd encore)
Another One Bites The Dust
Rock &Roll Medley
God Save The Queen

It will probably change soon...

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holy Shit Pittrek! That's one helluva fuckin setlist!!! Damn!

doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara,

I agree we agree - at least on all but the first paragraph of your post (which you convieniently left out of your response) in which you refer to his medley ideas as "terrible". I agree that Queen was very crafty at constructing a medley, and even one as tricky as My Melancholy Blues/Good Old Fashoined Lover Boy is not only within their reach, but they could really do something special with it. Who says MMB has to be played the same way as the album? If they approached it a little more upbeat, like Dreamer's Ball maybe, it could lead to a very natural seugue into GOFLB. Or, a simple little added piano part at the end could easily lead to a good segue AND lift the mood a bit. A song as slow as somber as MMB could use a pick me up if its played live.

Also, I don't think a smooth seque is required all of the time. In fact, the contrast between the songs could really benefit them. I love how they jump from March of the Black Queen into Bring Back That Leroy Brown - it really made Leroy more stand out - and more fun! And the beginning of A Night at the Opera shows how effective that can be as well, although in the studio you probably have more rope to do things like that.

Besides, none of the medley's he mentioned were as far of a stretch as your All Dead, All Dead/Sleeping on the Sidewalk medley. Now that one would take some thought and effort - and balls!

Take care,
Doxonrox

Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 09, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's my go:

Procession intro
We Will Rock You (fast)
Let Me Entertain You
Fat Bottomed Girls
White Queen
Somebody To Love
Medley: Mustapha/Killer Queen/March of the Black Queen/I'm In Love With My Car/You're My Best Friend
Play The Game
Don't Stop Me Now
Staying Power
Another One Bites The Dust
A Kind Of Magic
Under Pressure
Now I'm Here
Dragon Attack
Now I'm Here (reprise)
'39
Love of My Life
Need Your Loving Tonight
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Brighton Rock
Son And Daughter (reprise)
Medley: Seven Seas of Rhye/Tear It Up/Stone Cold Crazy
Hammer To Fall
Keep Yourself Alive
Bohemian Rhapsody

Encore #1
Tie Your Mother Down
Radio Ga Ga
Liar

Encore #2
We Will Rock You (slow)
In The Lap of The Gods...revisited
We Are The Champions
God Save The Queen

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
Queenfan1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfan1995
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 09, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

here are my list

procisson

the hero or we will rock you fast( cant decaid)

let me entertain you

ogre battle

somebody to love

brighton rock/guitar solo/ football fight/ battle theme/son and daughter reprise

tear it up
radio gaga
medley death on two legs /killer Queen/the millonare waltz/youre my best friend/ im in love with my car/ ride the wild vind.
headlong
under pressure

another one bites
keep yourself alive

seven seas of ryhs
the prophet song
stone cold crazy
i want it all

white Queen
its a hard life

you take my breath away
save me