Forums > Personal > New Harry Potter Film, Anyone?

forum rss feed
Author

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, has anyone seen it, or planning on seeing it? Did you like it?

I saw it yesterday and am still... gathering my thoughts on it. It was the best film so far no doubt, but there was a lot wrong with it.

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I took the kiddie to the midnight showing on opening day. I loved it, she didn't. She said the book was much better and that the movie was not only missing important scenes but also had scenes that weren't in the book. When the movie ended, the guy sitting next to me was pissed and said, "That's it?" He was gone before the lights came up.

What did you think was wrong with it?

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Meh.

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You do realise I will have a 6 page long rant, now you've asked? [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]

Firstly, why were such strange extra scenes that never happened in the book? The first scene in the cafe at the tube station, not only did that not happen in the book, it was totally unnecessary for the rest of the film. The scene where the death eaters came to The Burrow and burnt down the house, what was that all about!? And Ginny chasing Harry through a corn field, it was like some badly written fanfiction! I understand they were trying to make things more tense, but maybe they should have read the book. What we needed to see was the rest of the memories involving young Voldemort, what happened to the house of Gaunt? It even wasn't pointed out that Dumbledore was actually giving Harry private lessons, it just seemed like Harry just stumbled upon his office every so often and Dumbledore was just sat there like "O HAI HARRY LET ME SHOW YOU THIS."

Also, why does Radcliffe change the way he plays Harry in every film? I mean, obviously Harry's character was written way differently this time, but he was a lot less serious and seemed to have been turned into some sort of Chandler from Friends witty one liner character. I didn’t mind this though, I actually found Radcliffe to be quite funny.

There were some silly and unnecessary changes, the Felix Felicis potion, why wasn't it gold? And the fact that he swigged the whole lot, and then, funny as it was and it actually really was, why did it make Harry high!? Another thing that bothered me was the lack of continuity. In the last film, we established that the pensieve was an ancient looking font thing with runes round the edge, in this one it was just a bowl... why bother doing that?

Certain important points from the old books, that really are important to the whole story that STILL haven't been included. The importance of the Marauders for instance. They NEVER explained the marauders at all, and I love the marauders, they really need to leave it in. And Sirius died at the end of the last film... why wasn’t Harry in the slightest bit upset about that? They only mentioned him once.

They really should have focused less on the love stories and more on Harry's lessons with Dumbledore. They didn't explain the 7 horcruxes thing, nor did Dumbledore communicate with Harry what he thought the other horcruxes could be and why he thought it.

As for the last bit, I thought most of that was done brilliantly. The shot of Harry and Dumbledore on the rock with the sea crashing around them was great. I think more needed to be mentioned about the inferi, but meh. I started crying when Dumbledore was drinking the potion and then basically... didn't stop until the end. I think the scene back at Hogwarts should have been more true to the book, there's supposed to be a bigger fight involving many more people, the whole Dumbledore death thing seemed like quite a quiet and slightly rushed affair. Harry wasn't stunned or under the invisibility cloak, why? Felton's acting has improved though, I really felt for Malfoy. I liked how sudden the "Avada Kadavra" was, and the I thought the score after Dumbledore's death was excellent. It made me wonder though... If Gambon actually managed to pull those scenes off, how brilliant would it have been if Richard Harris hadn't died?

Despite all the ranting, it was my favourite film so far. And as usual, Alan Rickman was the absolute stand out for me, he really is sex on legs.

Oh yes, and they didn't concentrate enough on the whole half blood prince thing, yes, they made Harry carry the book round a lot, but I couldn't help but feel it was hardly a revelation when it turned out to be Snape, because they hadn't spent enough time trying to find out who it was. And also Harry was supposed to be obsessed with following Malfoy about and trying to find out what he was up to, there wasn't much of that either.

And there was a distinct lack of Fleur and Bill, and nothing was explained about Fenrir Greyback, he was just there. And where was Kreacher.

I understand that they can't include everything, but why include things that didn't even HAPPEN in the book and leave out imperative parts that will be really important in the last film and parts that will be crucial in the outcome of the films. If they'd have just added a few little things, then I think it would have tied up a few loose ends and help them out in the next films, because they are going to have to do a whole lot of backtracking if they want the films to make sense in their own right.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, my daughter agreed with everything you wrote here. She had already complained to me about that opening scene and the burning of the Burrow.

One thing she added was the owner of the Three Broomsticks, Madam Rosmerta, and her role in giving the necklace to Katie. Showing that, would have deepened the threat by making us realize how vast Voldemort's circle - willing on not - was.

The way she described the final battle to me expresses the same sense of anti-climax as your description. If they'd shown it the way it was in the book, the impact would have been (justifiably) crushing.

Also, the scene with Malfoy crying was much more emotional in the book. She said you felt more for him in that scene than in the scene from the movie, even with Moaning Myrtle's attempts to comfort him.

There's more, I'm sure, because she's still upset by the differences between the book and movie... although she admits the movie had it's funny moments - like Harry's high and Ron's reaction to the love potion. :-)

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She's still bitching in my ear... lol

The beginning didn't include the scene with the Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic. It shows that Voldemort's revenge is affecting not just the wizarding world but also the mortal world. Without that, we just see what we think are rogue deatheaters causing distruction for fun when in fact, it's an extension of Voldemort's game.

She also didn't like how they changed the scene with Snape and Bellatrix and her sister.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this sums up the movie quite well.

**EDIT**  The above sort of qualifies as NotSafeForWork.  

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

I think this sums up the movie quite well.
**EDIT**  The above sort of qualifies as NotSafeForWork.  

I'm going to have a helluva time explaining to my daughter - who is participating in this thread - why we can't click on this link. :-/

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haven't all of the "Harry Potter Fans" grown up by now? 

I'm waiting for the next one...  Harry Potter & The Severly Beaten Dead Horse

Meh.

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

She's still bitching in my ear... lol

The beginning didn't include the scene with the Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic. It shows that Voldemort's revenge is affecting not just the wizarding world but also the mortal world. Without that, we just see what we think are rogue deatheaters causing distruction for fun when in fact, it's an extension of Voldemort's game.

She also didn't like how they changed the scene with Snape and Bellatrix and her sister.

There really were a whole lot of things wrong with it. I definitely agree, rather than that silly cafe scene at the beginning they shld have included the Prime Minister scene. And I agree about the Snape, Bellatrix and Narcissa scene, and also Narcissa's hair was another thing I felt unnecessarily changed. I don't understand why it was made brown and blonde when it would have been just as easy to stick to the book and keep it blonde. Odd.

Hopefully the fact that the last book is being made into two films indicates that they will actually keep all the important stuff in, because at the moment although the films are visually stunning, they are just leaving far too much out.

littlekillerham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Derp.
littlekillerham
Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw it at 12:25 A.M. on the day it came out.

If you want to be loved, love.
Meh.

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Congratulations.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

I'm going to have a helluva time explaining to my daughter - who is participating in this thread - why we can't click on this link. :-/

Just tell her it's not safe for work!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hairy Pooper.

That's alI i have to say.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 19:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have neither seen nor read any of the Harry Potter stuff. [img=/images/smiley/msn/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif][/img]

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Meh.

Posted: 16 Jul 09, 21:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You miss out :(

StoneColdClassicQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
I need a haircut.
StoneColdClassicQueen
Bohemian: 775 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This was the worst movie out of the whole series yet! Bring back Mike Newell or Chris Columbus!!!!!

When it ended, I thought "That's it?"

I'm going to do what Stan and Kenny on South Park after seeing Passion of the Christ: get my money back from Mel Gibson.

"When you make love to someone, use a condom."-Brian May

Paul Rodgers is Chuck Norris.
bobo the chimp

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

StoneColdClassicQueen wrote:

This was the worst movie out of the whole series yet!   

Freya is quietly judging you. wrote:

It was the best film so far no doubt

If I'd had plans to see this movie, I'd be really conflicted right about now!

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i havent read the books but ive seen the other movies so..
will i enjoy the movie or will i need a shitload of beer to drown my sorrows afterwards,taking into account i dont know anything about deleted or added scenes that were/werent in the book?

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan Corson VII: Nothing Lasts wrote:

I have neither seen nor read any of the Harry Potter stuff. [img=/images/smiley/msn/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif][/img]

Good.

I'm sick of all my kicks.
ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 873 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 09, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan Corson VII: Nothing Lasts wrote:

Same here. I fell asleep watching the first movie (maybe I was too tired), and oddly I fell asleep everytinme I've tried to watch it. So I stopped trying.
And you know what? Exactly the same thing happened with the Lord Of the Rings series as well. Maybe I just don't like fantasy movies, i dunno.