Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > No Mannheim 86 in ZDF archives

forum rss feed
Author

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jul 09, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I couldn't find the original thread, so I start a new topic for it.

Some time ago one person appeared here claiming that he (or his friend ? ) found in ZDF archives the complete Mannheim 86 video.

Now look at this YouTube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq70CFudc04

It starts at 1:17

The TV guy says it clearly : We would love of course to show you more footage of the show, but the air time is limited and I have to tell you also that it's also the band's management's fault, because they allowed us to film only 3 minutes, but I believe that also 3 minutes are enough for this great band.

It's in german, so if I translated it correctly please correct me :-)

pittrek

Posted: 27 Jul 09, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a small chance that the DoRo team has filmed something, since we've seen a few seconds in various documentaries.
Why the hell won't Queen release a proper Magic Tour documentary with all the bits they've got filmed instead of the garbage which they release now :(

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wrote:

GB confirmed QP have this show in their vaults..

In AUDIO, yes.

pittrek

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 04:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jjeroen wrote:

wrote:

In AUDIO, yes.

Does somebody know how much has the DoRo team filmed ?

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Why the hell won't Queen release a proper Magic Tour documentary with all the bits they've got filmed instead of the garbage which they release now :(

That would be awesome ... in fact I had a similar thinking yesterday while watching the fantastic Poiter 79 footage ... there are so many bits of shows and interviews out there .... a huge documentary could be produced someday, only to generate tears of joy in us, the fans still living in hope ...

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
pittrek

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wrote:

Jjeroen wrote:

wrote:

In AUDIO, yes.

Take a look here:
http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1027435/the-queen-live-archive-list-finally-sorry-for-the-delay.aspx

The live recording are VERY limited, and the live footage is even MORE limited.We have….Argentina 81
Brazil 81
Budapest 86
Earls Court 77
Hammy Odeon 79
Hyde Park 76
Houston 77
Japan Seibu 82
Japan Tokyo 85
Japan 79 (bits)
Knebworth 86
Live Aid 85
Maine Road 86
Mannheim 86
Milton Keynes 82
Montreal 81
Munich 79
Newcastle 86
Paris 79
Rainbow 74 (March) plus some of the Nov gig
Rio 85
Slane Castle 86
Wembley 86 x 2.

I always thought the list is the list of COMPLETE AUDIO recordings, or ?

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That list is  the list GB initially gave to us when WE were talking about video's.
HE came back on the topic though and indeed told us that it was NOT a list of video's but of AUDIO's.

For once but surely not for all: Mannheim is NOT filmed in it's entirity! NOT by QP/DoRo and NOT by the tv stations.
Both parties only filmed small parts of the show.
QP DOES have a full AUDIO recording... (As we all do.)

Mr Anonymous... you are new here, so it is no shame that you don't know GB's sometimes weird moves.
Information he gives is at times obviously incorrect, lots of times the information he gives contradicts with what he says on other occasions. AND GB does not know about everything that exists. Just know that what he tells you about what is and what is not in existance, is highly unreliable.

Vali

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with pittrek above: when Greg provided this list most of us assumed this was an audio list, and we also considered it was a short list.        

A month ago or so, Greg came back regarding the LK 30th Anniversary issue and stating this time that the list, at least for the LK tour, was larger ....

Vali

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wrote:

Vali wrote:   

A month ago or so, Greg came back regarding the LK 30th Anniversary issue and stating this time that the list, at least for the LK tour, was larger .... 

I missed that topic
could you please provide me the link?

thanx in advance!
:-)

here you go :)

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1187849/queen-music-on-games-and-live-killers-by-the-way.aspx

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 09, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jjeroen wrote:

That list is  the list GB initially gave to us when WE were talking about video's.
HE came back on the topic though and indeed told us that it was NOT a list of video's but of AUDIO's.

For once but surely not for all: Mannheim is NOT filmed in it's entirity! NOT by QP/DoRo and NOT by the tv stations.
Both parties only filmed small parts of the show.
QP DOES have a full AUDIO recording... (As we all do.)

Mr Anonymous... you are new here, so it is no shame that you don't know GB's sometimes weird moves.
Information he gives is at times obviously incorrect, lots of times the information he gives contradicts with what he says on other occasions. AND GB does not know about everything that exists. Just know that what he tells you about what is and what is not in existance, is highly unreliable.

If the list above is audio only, then where are the London 1978 and all the Live Killers concerts?

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

pittrek

Posted: 01 Aug 09, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The list was a complete mess

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 03:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

The list was a complete mess

Yes it was! A total joke.

Greg writes in his book that he has heard several Crazy tour shows, some of which he never even heard on bootlegs so... also from late 1979 they have recordings(we can only guess about the quality but they do exist).

To me it's really unbelievable that a man like Brian May, who cut out Newspaper articles, collected pins etc. about his band, did not want to keep recordings of his band...

on my way up
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

To me it's really unbelievable that a man like Brian May, who cut out Newspaper articles, collected pins etc. about his band, did not want to keep recordings of his band...

Didn't Brian once state that they, from about 1974, recorded every gig from the mixing desk? The claim has since been denied - but this could be purely because they don't want people asking about them because they don't want to release raw, live to 2 track recordings. Or maybe they've "gone missing". QP have a habit of claiming things don't exist - don't they?

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3035 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

Very true.  I am sure that there are recordings (whether it be live, demos, unreleased, etc..etc.) that exist in Brian's personal archive that no one, GB included, knows anything about.

Incidentally, I am intrigued to know whether anyone (GB or Jim Beach) have spoken seriously to John Deacon about any of his personal demos for any proposed archive box set.  Surely when writing his songs (You're My Best Friend, Another One Bites The Dust, Spreadh Your Wings etc..) John would have recorded demo versions to play his ideas back to the band.  Sure, in the early days these may well have been on the physical tapes owned by Queen, and the only studio time available would have been during the actual sessions, and so therefore the early stuff (Misfire etc..) would already be on the archived tapes.  Later on once home studios, finance to go in on your own etc.. became the norm, I would imagine that John may well have his own collection of his demos and early working ideas on his own tapes that do not exist in the official Queen archives.

Brian and Roger (and Freddie's Estate) will of course have their own deo stuff, but this is more likely to be known about and handed over for the greater good, but I'm sure that John won't go out of his way to declare his hidden gems.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

Didn't Brian once state that they, from about 1974, recorded every gig from the mixing desk? The claim has since been denied - but this could be purely because they don't want people asking about them because they don't want to release raw, live to 2 track recordings.

That's my best guess.  But it's a horrible shame, as many of us would kill to hear raw tapes of their concerts in the 70s.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 01:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

god its a mercy that theres no Mannheim in archives, GOD ..... who would even want another 86 gig????????  besides which newcalstle was MUCH better

magic tour wasnt any good freddie had lost it as a live performer by that stage, they should retired after the 82 tour.  Quit on Top!!!!!!!

pittrek

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

andreas_mercury wrote:

god its a mercy that theres no Mannheim in archives, GOD ..... who would even want another 86 gig????????  besides which newcalstle was MUCH better
magic tour wasnt any good freddie had lost it as a live performer by that stage, they should retired after the 82 tour.  Quit on Top!!!!!!!

This whole thread was a response to another thread, where some person claimed that there is a complete video recording of Mannheim 86 in ZDF archives. But the reporter claims on the video that they were allowed by the band's management to film only 3 minutes of the concert. That's all. So now the question is how much did the DoRo team film

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

This whole thread was a response to another thread, where some person claimed that there is a complete video recording of Mannheim 86 in ZDF archives. But the reporter claims on the video that they were allowed by the band's management to film only 3 minutes of the concert. That's all. So now the question is how much did the DoRo team film

DoRo probably recorded about as much as they did of Knebworth.
I'm still incredulous that they didn't record the feed to the big screens!

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:
DoRo probably recorded about as much as they did of Knebworth.
I'm still incredulous that they didn't record the feed to the big screens!

Of course the video feed was recorded at Knebworth! Come off it - even if QP had somehow forgotten to request it was recorded (considering the management - there is no chance of this btw) , the film crew would have set it up for themselves. People weren't stupid - this was a big event. And again - I'm sure Brian was on record as saying all they had was what was shown on the big screen - then it was denied. You've gotta laugh really.

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

technically naive souls .... !  to say 'oh it was must have been recorded', 'OH someone must have pushed the right switch'

oh my goodness!  to have even passing knowlede .......