Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What's your opinion on the Barcelona album?

forum rss feed
Author

MmP user not visiting Queenzone.com
I like HotSpace FunIt &Delilah
MmP
Champion: 85 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wanted to read some opinions among Queen fans. I think probably Freddie's best solo work musically.

I have a man-crush on Brian's solo on Delilah
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barcelona was the best thing freddie did since A day at the races IMO,  and isn't far behind My favorite queen albums.   All the brilliance is there, every song is a gem.  The only queen solo project that's stands the test of time.  Mike moran deserves a mention, he was a big part of the writing and gave freddie the motivation too keep pushing forward.  Remember, freddie was considered past his creative peak before barcelona was released. All a sudden this gem comes out, and then a few years later we get another gem Innuendo.  I wish the album was a little longer,  and would have been nice to hear what a barcelona2 would have sounded like.

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree with Mike here. It's always a pleasure listening to this album. But I don't like abusing, just listen to it once or twice a year.

I love every song, but La Japonaise has always been much special, as well as How Can I Go On.

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
believe in yourself 45455 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 05:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guide Me Home/How Can I Go On are my favourite songs on the album. The fact that Overture Piccante was used as a filler could mean that there were no good songs left. A shame that there were only real classical instruments used on Barcelona-the song. By using a real orchestra the album would sound much more as an operatic/classical album and less as a pop-album. It ended up as something inbetween so neither the 'serious' opera lovers nor the pop/rock fans liked it.
In the past a few operatic singers tried to re-preduce the whole album (or a few songs). None of them came even close to Freddie's performance!

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always been of the thought it would have been better with just Freddie's vocals on, sometimes Montserrat's voice cuts right through me but maybe that's just my lack of passion for real opera.

It is musically the best solo effort by Freddie but I think it's unfair to compare it to Back To The Light which to me is closest to the Queen sound of any solo album by any member

Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 06:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I sincerely love this album, and I agree that Mika Moran did a marvellous job by both playing and taking part in the creative process as well, in terms of writing, arranging and producing. He was Fred's musical wingman at the time without a doubt.

As for the album production, I will argue that I think the orcestral parts done by syntheziser was intended that way. He didn't hire a symphony orchestra even though he had the money. Some may say it was lack of time, even so; I think he did it to do exactly what was earlier mentioned - to disturb and to challenge authenticity, genrelines and correctness in music. The "synth" orchestra gives the production an over the top and too much factor so that it becomes camp. Freddie wanted it to be camp and theatrical. I think it was intended, but that's my opinion.

Simon Brown user not visiting Queenzone.com
Simon Brown
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hiya,
yeah, the lack of a real orchestra was a shame. However, the album is amazing, and there are some of Freddies finest songs on there. As a songwriter, this album really showcased his talent in a way that had been missing since the 70s. The moving from genre to genre (pop, gospel, classical, musical etc) was very well done, and I agree a lot of this was probably down to Mike Moran. All God's People was a great legacy of this project, and gave a great lift to Innuendo.

Simon

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As for Montserrat's voice:

She is a living legend both now and when the album was recorded. Freddie adored both her and her singing voice.

I remember I played some parts from the album to my vocal teacher who primarily teaches in classical and operatic music. She smiled, not in arrogant way, but said to me, anknowledging Caballe for who she was, but my teacher also mentioned that she could hear that her voice was aging. She was not the singer she used to be.

I think it has to with time as well. We listen nowadays and we've heard a lot of music since 1987, and gained more knowledge tools how to understand and analyze music.

Enough babbling... I understand what you're saying and to some degree I agree with you, but I think this album and process was probably Freddie's most fullfilling and proudest moment as an musician, even conquering his best Queen moments.

pepi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barcelona album is one of the greatest albums ever-a very unique,and most beloved album for me-especially ''How can i go on",Barcelona".Ensueno"and the ''Fallen priest"traks-it's made me shiver..Great

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MmP wrote:

I wanted to read some opinions among Queen fans. I think probably Freddie's best solo work musically.

I don't consider it Freddie's solo work, but a "collaboration album" (similar to the "Queen + Paul Rodgers"  project).
But it includes some of the best works of Freddie, he didn't write such complex songs since the 70's.
It's definitely not "radio-friendly" (except of the title track, of course), but it's great to hear that Freddie still knew how to write a masterpiece, after the pretty boring "Mr. Bad Guy" album

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomas Tønnesen wrote:

I sincerely love this album, and I agree that MIKA Moran did a marvellous job by both playing and taking part in the creative process as well, in terms of writing, arranging and producing. He was Fred's musical wingman at the time without a doubt.

Grrrrr. Don't put MIKA into it :-)

Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 191 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is a true brilliant album. The production, songwriting and of course the performances. Mike Moran got the best out of Freddie and you can here the album is made with love for music. It is just incredible to hear Montserrat singing....and then Freddie's voice is melting so nicely together with here..

Angels giving kisses in your ears...!

You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry I put Mika into it ;)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Geez, you would think that this was the greatest Opera record ever.

I disagree.

Freddie sounds great, but I've never been a real Montserrat fan.  Give me Maria Callas... or maybe another tenor.  At some points she sounds like she's just wailing to make noise.  It really takes away from Freddie's performance at some points.  I'm sure since Fred was new to this genre, he was on his best behaviour in the studio, but I would have taken her out of the mix at a few points.

Plus, it never really gave either a chance to shine on their own.  If Montserrat wanted to sing so much, how come there wasn't a solo piece on there?  There should have been a track for each on that album where the other was not on it at all.

If this was intended to be an opera album, where was the continuity?  Where was the emotion?  There was no tragedy or climatic event, as most operas have.  I think even the WWRY show has a story line (if you can stay awake).

Finally, Mike Moran?  Huh?  Maybe this album seemed a little tame because his input and playing were priority one.  I think Big F could've played a lot of the material himself and maybe even livened it up a bit.  Is that a word?  Livened?  I think we could have moved away from the Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus style as well... this was not supposed to be a Rock album, Mike. 

Bottom line, the only thing I really enjoyed about this album was Freddie.  Can't say I've listened to it in the last 3-4 years or so.

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Geez, you would think that this was the greatest Opera record ever.

I disagree.

Freddie sounds great, but I've never been a real Montserrat fan.  Give me Maria Callas... or maybe another tenor.  At some points she sounds like she's just wailing to make noise.  It really takes away from Freddie's performance at some points.  I'm sure since Fred was new to this genre, he was on his best behaviour in the studio, but I would have taken her out of the mix at a few points.

Plus, it never really gave either a chance to shine on their own.  If Montserrat wanted to sing so much, how come there wasn't a solo piece on there?  There should have been a track for each on that album where the other was not on it at all.

If this was intended to be an opera album, where was the continuity?  Where was the emotion?  There was no tragedy or climatic event, as most operas have.  I think even the WWRY show has a story line (if you can stay awake).

Finally, Mike Moran?  Huh?  Maybe this album seemed a little tame because his input and playing were priority one.  I think Big F could've played a lot of the material himself and maybe even livened it up a bit.  Is that a word?  Livened?  I think we could have moved away from the Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus style as well... this was not supposed to be a Rock album, Mike. 

Bottom line, the only thing I really enjoyed about this album was Freddie.  Can't say I've listened to it in the last 3-4 years or so.

I don't like so much about Montserrat. i just have the Cd because Freddie sing in!

P.A
MmP user not visiting Queenzone.com
I like HotSpace FunIt &Delilah
MmP
Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

La japaneise it's a masterpice. It has so many chage of pace, and it sounds very peaceful, it' great.
How can I go on it's another one that I really like, can it be related to the fact that Freddie had just found out about aids?

I have a man-crush on Brian's solo on Delilah
John Oswald user not visiting Queenzone.com
John Oswald
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it I mean I do listen to a bit of opera now and then so Montserrat's voice doesn't bother me too much of course the highlight is Barcelona though

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely loved it since the day it came out!
It's such a shame that it wasn't a longer album.
Freddie obviously struggles a bit on some of the notes and I can't help wondering If only Fred didn't smoke, his voice would have been even better.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A masterpiece

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
princetom user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 09, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the intro of barcelona, when the fat lady is faded in...it's quite a queen moment, as freddie delivers the whole package of the deal... productionwise.

yes, it's a very nice album, indeed.

prince[tOM]