Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Cross - Most underrated band ever.

forum rss feed
Author

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 09, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

... what do you think about The cross??... I´m amazed with this band right now... I don´t understand why even Queen fans gave his back to this KICK-ASS band.. (and I mean it)

Great great songs, amazing musicians (Moss is THE man), great singing of course and a variety of styles in each album...

Comment..

Queen rocks!
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 09, 21:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love The Cross even more than Roger and Brian solo careers.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

heard them, and never liked the band.  Worst band ever.

sbrown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love The Cross, and every album just got better than the last.
The good quality boots I've heard are also amazing. Would love to see the albums re-released as 2 disc sets with studio album on disc 1 and a live album for disc 2.
And yes, the second and third are better than all the solo albums from Rog, Brian and Fred.

Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 04:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol, if you think the cross albums are better than barcelona than it's obvious your young and stupid. The band sucked.

believe in yourself 45455 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's no reason to compare the Cross with Barcelona or other solo projects. They are from a complete different league. Or maybe we can compare Barcelona with ANATO on another thread?

Although Roger led the band, The Cross wasn't even a Roger solo project, but a band project. Many of the songs weren't even written by Roger.
Every album had some bad, good and great songs. I think Blue Rock is their best. I've heard many live concerts of them (only seen them once) and they're all very powerful with a very interesting mixture of songs.

If you're interested in Clayton's current project, here are some links:

http://www.myspace.com/fishpigg
http://claytonmoss.webs.com/
http://indiestore.7digital.com/stores/indiedefault.aspx?shop=-125961&g=b7f36dcb-9521-4a04-9edf-70fd2e3b6536

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger's singing on Mad, Bad & Dangerous and Blue Rock is his best by far. Great albums in addition.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

demonwolf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

liiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaar. awesome song.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 08:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The most underrated bands ever are so underrated that none of us know about them, so there's no way that's The Cross.

But I do agree The Cross were great... always hated the keyboard player, but the others rock.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Compiling the best tracks off MBADTK and Blue Rock would make a great album. Unfortunately both have too much middle of the road fillers with 'sexy' lyrics IMO. Still - I would like to see Roger get out there and performs some tracks of this period of his career.

Top of The World Ma
Liar
New Dark Ages
Power To Love
Breakdown
Penetration Guru
Millionaire
Sister Blue
Hand of Fools
The Also Rans
Old Men (Lay Down)
Life Changes
Final Destination

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the cross are total shit, universes away from queen or other serious music.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Compiling the best tracks off MBADTK and Blue Rock would make a great album. Unfortunately both have too much middle of the road fillers with 'sexy' lyrics IMO. Still - I would like to see Roger get out there and performs some tracks of this period of his career.

Top of The World Ma
Liar
New Dark Ages
Power To Love
Breakdown
Penetration Guru
Millionaire
Sister Blue
Hand of Fools
The Also Rans
Old Men (Lay Down)
Life Changes
Final Destination

I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment.  That said, if Roger wasn't in the band, they would have fallen through the cracks like tens of thousands of other bands, as they really weren't anything overly special in the grand scheme of things.  The first album was awful in its dancy nature, and there is far too much derivative filler on the other two albums for them to ever be considered a great band, with or without Roger.  But the few great tunes certainly were great.  Power To Love, Life Changes, and Final Destination stick out to me.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 09, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's a good band... the musics are great, i liked them!!!

P.A
andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 01:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

trash band, not a shadow of brian's solo stuff .....      Man on Fire is a brilliant song but   is that even the Cross or just Roger solo???

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well personally I like 3 or 4 songs, so sorry, not a band for me

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

The first album was awful in its dancy nature (...) Power To Love, Life Changes, and Final Destination stick out to me.

Indeed, indeed, indeed !!

I gave "Shove It" another oportunity the other day and .... fuck, it's unlistenable !! I didn't remember it's so afwul ... was Roger listening too much rap music in those days?? or what ??

I save some details in Cowboys and Indians, Love Lies Bleeding and ... well, Heaven For Everyone for providing us Freddie. I still think the MIH version is a vast improvement of the original, though. 

The production of the album ruins it all ... Stand Up For Love could have been something but it remains there, in the middle of nowhere ....

Rog, Rog, Rog .... you´ll always be my fave band member ... but you should be punished for this album!

On the other hand .... you´re forgiven because I enjoy so much MBADTK and Blue Rock, and for that revisited version of Final Destination you did with Yoshiki ...aaaaaah, yes!! loving your drumming there!  

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 09, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

** sorry double post **

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
bhm0129ad user not visiting Queenzone.com
Givin' it to 'em
bhm0129ad
Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 09, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely right, the revisited version of Final Destination with Yoshiki is just sublime.

as to the earlier ref about The Cross NOT being an 'underrated' band because we have heard of them, has it occurred to you that NONE of us here would have heard of them if we were not Queen fans?

When I joined the Q fan club (for just a year) in 1990, I was SHOCKED to get my first magazine from the 'Queen, & The Cross Fan Club' and honestly thought I had joined some other fan club.

I went out and bought Shove it and Mad Bad on cassette straight away, and fell in love with them.

Had I not joined the club then, I would have NEVER heard of them till LAST year when I joined the forums.

That would have been a shame as I would have missed out on seeing Clayton at the 12 bar club in London in around '97, and chatting with him for a good half an hour as he packed up :)

(he is really short LOL).

The Cross rocked.

Throw it in the lake, dear
MmP user not visiting Queenzone.com
I like HotSpace FunIt &Delilah
MmP
Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 09, 19:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well just these days I've been listening to Roger's verson with the Cross of the Heaven For Everyone, and though I don't know much about the band, it's far better than the MIH version. Great version.

I have a man-crush on Brian's solo on Delilah
bhm0129ad user not visiting Queenzone.com
Givin' it to 'em
bhm0129ad
Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 09, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MmP wrote:

Well just these days I've been listening to Roger's verson with the Cross of the Heaven For Everyone, and though I don't know much about the band, it's far better than the MIH version. Great version.

Completely agree with that. The MIH version is crap by comparison. However there IS a fan mix of the two, which is even better than the cross version. I will try to find a link.

Throw it in the lake, dear