Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May: overly aggressive over songwriting credits

forum rss feed
Author

tay120 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Aug 09, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it just me or does Brian May seem overly obsessed with songwriting credits. For instance, he made a
big deal about how he played for like 2 seconds at the beginning of one of the songs in "Chinese Democracy"
and then didn't get credited. WHen someone once pointed out that Freddie was instructing him on his guitar playing during the making of "One Vision" he also got really defensive. Other times, it appears that he invents contributions that don't even exist. For instance, he made a big deal about how, during the line "shiver down my spine" in "Bohemian Rhapsody" he apparently added some special noise with his guitar. In fact, it turns out that this "special sound" was made by a percussion instrument called a bell tree and not by his guitar at all!

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 09, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he has allot of passion within his work, and maybe on a day to basis people get thigns wrong and it's just tipped him of over the edge.

Look at how many fans have bashed Axle over not putting brian on the record.... now, if fan's are doin that, Imagin how Brian must feel...

marcio17@queenzone.com user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 121 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 09, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he only needee to explian this isuuses. Nothing else.

By the way, remember the credit thing during Miracle/Innuendo sessions. So, no way of thinking of him as you put it.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 09, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tay120 wrote:

WHen someone once pointed out that Freddie was instructing him on his guitar playing during the making of "One Vision" he also got really defensive.

...which is exactly why cameras should never be in the studio when a band is recording.  You won't believe how many people have used that one single video as "proof" that Freddie controlled the band's songwriting throughout their entire career.  The song was a band collaboration, so they were helping each other out.  Sometimes they argue over things.  A few years earlier, Brian wanted a guitar solo on Back Chat, much to John's dismay since it was his song, but he got his wish in the end.  Arguments lead to compromises.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  It's how a band works.

If Roger wants credit for These Are The Days Of Our Lives, then he can do what he needs to do to make that happen.  But if he doesn't, his absence of action doesn't suddenly translate to "Brian is looking for the limelight" if he does make a move for one of his songs.  As far as I'm concerned, Brian is the most humble guy in the business, never wanting more than 25% of the credit when it comes to his band.

For instance, he made a big deal about how, during the line "shiver down my spine" in "Bohemian Rhapsody" he apparently added some special noise with his guitar.  In fact, it turns out that this "special sound" was made by a percussion instrument called a bell tree and not by his guitar at all!

Where'd you hear that?  As far as I know it was the strings being played to the right of the bridge.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 09, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way, remember the credit thing during Miracle/Innuendo sessions. So, no way of thinking of him as you put it.

If so... why is now IWIA credited to 'May' only, and The Miracle and Invisible Man are still 'Queen'? Why was Mother Love 'May/Mercury' and Winter's Tale remained 'Queen'?

BTW, Bri didn't say he invented the 'shivers' effect, he said he played it, and it is true: the sound comes from guitar and not a bell-tree.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 09, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:You won't believe how many people have used that one single video as "proof" that Freddie controlled the band's songwriting throughout their entire career.  The song was a band collaboration, so they were helping each other out.......

Except that Roger Taylor himself admitted in a TV interview about "One Vision" that the "rotter" Freddie "changed his song"

....also see the quote from John IIRC suggesting that they went with whoever had a strong idea, and Freddie had most of the strong ideas.

...also note their lack of success in coming up with anything that amounts to anything much since his demise....

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 09, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote:

also see the quote from John IIRC suggesting that they went with whoever had a strong idea, and Freddie had most of the strong ideas.

Of course... nobody's denying that Freddie was a major creative force in the band.  But it certainly wasn't always his desires that were met.

...also note their lack of success in coming up with anything that amounts to anything much since his demise....

Fair enough.  But also note the Mr. Bad Guy album... it was Freddie without Queen, and it showed, often painfully.  They were a band of 4 very different individuals who were very good each in their own right, but an excellent, world-class combination when put together.  It's just publicly misunderstood that Freddie was at the helm of everything with the final word when that certainly wasn't the case.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ridiculous thread assertion.  Y'know if Brian were in a band full of people who were actually aggressive over songwriting credit, he'd probably look conservative.
As it happens he had the bad fortune of picking a band that probably didn't mind sharing.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tay120 wrote:

In fact, it turns out that this "special sound" was made by a percussion instrument called a bell tree and not by his guitar at all!

I don't suppose there's a retraction to this statement on the way?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2370 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure 'big deal' would be the way I would describe any of those instances.

BTW the 'Special sound' WAS the guitar
One Vision video is just the way bands work in studios, and I have know doubt they each instructed each other on how to perform a part from time to time.
Brian just happens to comment more than the others about stuff, one thing I am sure about is that if Roger had a soapbox he would be far more vocal about his contributions than Brian ever will be.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's no reason to say that about Brian. He's very hard-working person, and it's clear that he wants to tell about his achievments and contributions. Which is very normal. Everybody likes to talk about what he/she managed to achieve, especially when it took lots of time and skills.
About "Chinese Democracy"- Brian spent lots of time to help Axl with the album. Even if not much appeared there, he still did work on it.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7596 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian did not make a "big deal" about the Axl record at all. He only responded to it when people wrote to his soap box about it.

You can read his comments here

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbdec08a.html

It's ridiculous to say he made a "big deal" about his missing songwriter credits when in fact he was very kind and generous and "totally relaxed" about the issue. You should check the facts before spreading such lies about Brian.

I do not want any google ads here.

demonwolf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i sent an email to brian about him being left off chinese democracy, and he was not disappointed at all. it is all on his website.

bhm0129ad user not visiting Queenzone.com
Givin' it to 'em
bhm0129ad
Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tay120 wrote:

Is it just me or does Brian May seem overly obsessed with songwriting credits. For instance, he made a
big deal about how he played for like 2 seconds at the beginning of one of the songs in "Chinese Democracy"
and then didn't get credited. WHen someone once pointed out that Freddie was instructing him on his guitar playing during the making of "One Vision" he also got really defensive. Other times, it appears that he invents contributions that don't even exist. For instance, he made a big deal about how, during the line "shiver down my spine" in "Bohemian Rhapsody" he apparently added some special noise with his guitar. In fact, it turns out that this "special sound" was made by a percussion instrument called a bell tree and not by his guitar at all!

Classic 'first' post. I guess it IS just you after all.

Throw it in the lake, dear
August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

If so... why is now IWIA credited to 'May' only, and The Miracle and Invisible Man are still 'Queen'?

I don't have all their latter compilantions, but at least on Queen Rocks and Return of The Champions IWIA was credited to the whole band. On what releases it's been credited to May only? (I'm just curious.)

Simon says87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is not playing on Chinese Democracy, He just recorded with Axl, and it was left out..

I Want It All is credited as a May song on Greatest Video Hits 2..

When are you gonna play in Denmark again?
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2754 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

who cares about all this. IMO,  Innuendo should be credited to Freddie and roger since they wrote the song.  Slighty mad was a freddie song and should get the credit, so why shouldn't brian get credit for I want it all. It was his song.

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish they didn't do that whole credit every song as Queen thing because I like to see which member(s) wrote which songs.

Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 23:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Ken8 wrote:

also see the quote from John IIRC suggesting that they went with whoever had a strong idea, and Freddie had most of the strong ideas.

Of course... nobody's denying that Freddie was a major creative force in the band.  But it certainly wasn't always his desires that were met.

Fair enough.  But also note the Mr. Bad Guy album... it was Freddie without Queen, and it showed, often painfully.  They were a band of 4 very different individuals who were very good each in their own right, but an excellent, world-class combination when put together.  It's just publicly misunderstood that Freddie was at the helm of everything with the final word when that certainly wasn't the case.

Yes, and funnily enough Fred was usually the first to say so.  There's been a lot said since his demise though despite their inability to prove themselves without him.

I like how "Mr Bad Guy" is trotted out as some sort of disaster.  And how the success of "Barcelona" and "Great Pretender" are conveniently overlooked, along with just about any posthumous Freddie release, Queen or solo.

As much as I love "Queen" I can also see the loss of Mercury as THE worst thing that could've happened.  As much as I hate to say it, creatively the band would've overcome the loss of any other member with more success and credibility.

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2687 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 09, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote:

As much as I love "Queen" I can also see the loss of Mercury as THE worst thing that could've happened.  As much as I hate to say it, creatively the band would've overcome the loss of any other member with more success and credibility.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury