Forums > Queen - General Discussion > It's Late in "Observe and Report"

forum rss feed
Author

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 00:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh excellent.  A medicore screwball comedy starring a misogynist slob endorsing the practice of date rape ... is going to feature one of my favourite songs.


Now I'm conflicted!


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thankfully the song can be enjoyed without the movie




"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's also got The Hero in it.  I haven't seen it, though.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See, I saw Knocked Up and Superbad and had a good laugh at them because I thought he was poking fun at that lifestyle; I found them to be pretty funny pisstakes on screwball movies.

Hearing him talk out of character has ruined it for me, unfortunately.  His rationalization of the date rape stuff alone makes me wonder what people are smoking.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Aug 09, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked it + the Queen songs were a great bonus. I'd give it a 7/10.
That Collette Wolfe girl is ff-ing adorable btw! ^_^



Killed by drones.
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 09, 03:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote















Zebonka12 wrote:







See, I saw Knocked Up and Superbad and had a good laugh at them because I thought he was poking fun at that lifestyle; I found them to be pretty funny pisstakes on screwball movies.























Hearing him talk out of character has ruined it for me, unfortunately.  His rationalization of the date rape stuff alone makes me wonder what people are smoking.  
















You miss the point.  Perhaps you should actually SEE the movie before shooting your mouth off.  Commenting on a movie you haven't seen makes me wonder what you're smoking.  Far too much of that going on Downunder as it is, thanks very much.  You joined the Christian Conservative Right all of a sudden?

Rogen's character is extremely flawed and by no means a "role model".  Not a "great" movie to be sure, but the film is very dark.  A blackly comic take on "Taxi Driver" and by no means a "screwball comedy" as you ignorantly suggest.

  I felt guilty laughing at some scenes, and as such I'm sure that was the response intended.



Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 09, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote































Erin wrote:















It's also got The Hero in it.  I haven't seen it, though.















Was it "Hero" or "Football Fight"?  I'm not sure now.  Actually I think it's both!

Rogen also beats up Cops.  Not something I'd recommend in real life either.

Honestly, people like Zebonka must think "Psycho" is an ode to dressing up as your dead mother and murdering people in the shower.






bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 09, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh hell - you mean Psycho WASN'T??   Crap, there goes my thesis.


As far as Seth Rogen goes ... so I'm cheap and I don't want to go see his movie because he is a fool.  Or at the very least, he did a great impersonation of one during his interviews.  

True enough; commenting on a film that one has not seen is very much a fool's errand but in my defence, I'm usually on the money.   Hitchhiker's Guide remake?  That was a disaster and I spotted it from a mile off.  

(The reason I cite that movie as an example is because that's when I stopped seeing bad films to see if my gut feelings were accurate or not.)


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 09, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You never saw "Hitchhikers" either?

As an original Adams fan from the Python days, believe me it could've been a heck of a lot worse.

BTW, that's no excuse.  You're "usually on the money" is a pathetic justification for pre-judging something.  Who on earth do you think you are?  George W. Bush?  Fred Nile?  Pauline Hanson?  Stephen Conroy?

You fail, you stoner!  ;-)


bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 09, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What?  No no, you misunderstand - I saw Hitchhikers, and that is roughly where I lost my faith in humanity as far as movies being better than their trailers/synopsis/press releases/word of mouth.

I mean I felt like that movie was going in good places at the start.  Throwing in "Journey of the Sorcerer", I mean that was an inspired nod to the BBC thing.  Having said that, even the scenes that stuck with the book were butchered.  Those speeches with Arthur in front of the bulldozer were what made me (a distractible 10 year old at the time) want to sit through the whooooole damn mini-series.  In the 2005 movie they were harshly abbreviated and the impact was gone.

The rest of the movie felt like pastiche nonsense that I have a hard time believing Douglas Adams had more than a cursory involvement in.  But then we all get a bit soft when we're old.

I am, however, right with you when you say 'it could've been a lot worse'.  Knowing Hollywood as we do, they could've done worse.

PS.  I don't do pot.  Never have!


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 09, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


LOL! 

Maybe that's why I enjoyed it more!

But I have to agree with your thoughts on "Hitchhikers" to be honest.

BTW, enjoy The Who?

Silly question, I'm guessing


bhm0129ad user not visiting Queenzone.com
Givin' it to 'em
bhm0129ad
Bohemian: 125 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 09, 00:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote







Zebonka12 wrote:



What?  No no, you misunderstand - I saw Hitchhikers, and that is roughly where I lost my faith in humanity as far as movies being better than their trailers/synopsis/press releases/word of mouth.

I mean I felt like that movie was going in good places at the start.  Throwing in "Journey of the Sorcerer", I mean that was an inspired nod to the BBC thing.  Having said that, even the scenes that stuck with the book were butchered.  Those speeches with Arthur in front of the bulldozer were what made me (a distractible 10 year old at the time) want to sit through the whooooole damn mini-series.  In the 2005 movie they were harshly abbreviated and the impact was gone.

The rest of the movie felt like pastiche nonsense that I have a hard time believing Douglas Adams had more than a cursory involvement in.  But then we all get a bit soft when we're old.

I am, however, right with you when you say 'it could've been a lot worse'.  Knowing Hollywood as we do, they could've done worse.

PS.  I don't do pot.  Never have!















Sorry to say, but Douglas Adams died in 2001, so it would have been VERY difficult for him to have had anything to do with the making of the movie in '05.







For me there is nothing as good as reading the books, watching the original BBC series on DVD and litening to the Radio shows. It is my favourite book anyway and almost all the adaptions after Adams' death have lacked something.... Him.







There have been radio broadcasts since his death featuring Simon Jones however (Arthur Dent in the TV series, and original radio shows). He impressed Adams so much that when he wrote the books, he had Simon Jones totally in mind which is why if you read the book first then watch the TV show, Simon seems to BE Arthur Dent as if he had walked out of the book.




























Throw it in the lake, dear
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 09, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Dear oh dear.  You're as big a fan of Douglas Adams as you are of Brian May......

The film took a long time coming, and Adams was involved in pre-production.

In fact, the screenplay was started by Adams himself, and finished posthumously.  Obviously.




bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 09, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

True enough;  however I'm a bit of a denial junkie with that movie.  I like to think that they only left enough of his contributions in there as was necessary to keep his name in the writing credits.

Having said that, there is that much Hitchhikers literature out there that one questionable remake doesn't spoil the party.  We have that to be thankful for!

PS.  The Who were fantastic!  


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bhm0129ad user not visiting Queenzone.com
Givin' it to 'em
bhm0129ad
Bohemian: 125 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 09, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Ken8 wrote:


Dear oh dear.  You're as big a fan of Douglas Adams as you are of Brian May......

The film took a long time coming, and Adams was involved in pre-production.

In fact, the screenplay was started by Adams himself, and finished posthumously.  Obviously.






Get off my back I was not talking to you.



The final screenplay for the movie was NOT done by Douglas Adams. I read the accompanying book to the movie and it explained how the process went.



Take your smarmy comments eslewhere and don't 'talk' to me again.








Throw it in the lake, dear
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 09, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



bhm0129ad wrote:







Ken8 wrote:




Dear oh dear.  You're as big a fan of Douglas Adams as you are of Brian May......

The film took a long time coming, and Adams was involved in pre-production.

In fact, the screenplay was started by Adams himself, and finished posthumously.  Obviously.











Get off my back I was not talking to you.







The final screenplay for the movie was NOT done by Douglas Adams. I read the accompanying book to the movie and it explained how the process went.







Take your smarmy comments eslewhere and don't 'talk' to me again.










LOL! 

You're unbelievable.

Here's an idea.  How about you getting your facts right?

Did you even see what I posted?  You might want to look up the word "posthumously"

Zebonka, if you're an Adams fan, check out some old "Doctor Who" stories he wrote.  They're hilarious.



buffypython user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 72 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How did we get from "It's Late" being in Observe and Report to debating the quality of the most recent Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

BTW, I saw that movie before encountering any other media involved with it and I have to say that it was all right. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I read the books later and they were better, but I don't think the movie was terrible.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



buffypython wrote:

How did we get from "It's Late" being in Observe and Report to debating the quality of the most recent Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

.

Welcome to Queenzone.  [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img]








"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash