Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Posting Anonymously

forum rss feed
Author

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg and John recently made a point about how people here post on these Forums anonymously. I'd like to address this point.

There is certainly an air of mystery when a person is allowed to voice an opinion without revealing their identity. The Forum was designed this way and has been running for years with that as a balanced platform for anyone who signs up to say what's on their mind. Argument break out, discussions become heated and sometimes hateful words are exchanged. Not seeing the face of the person you're addressing both allows issues to become inflamed while at the same time allows posters a degree of protection of their feeling, knowing it's not personal because you don't know the person insulting you.

These days, the internet is a fact of life. Employers do not hesitate to Google the name of an applicant to see if they post on a Ku Klux Klan or Rooster Worshippers' forum. I personally know a fellow who's local political career was scuttled as it began because of angry posts he'd made, voicing his opinion, years before. The opposing party dug up his remarks, which were purely opinion and began a smear campaign against him. No one cared that he was within his right to say what he said, the papers and electorate simply took issue that he had a public opinion.

We should not live in fear of what we say on boards such as this, but the reality is that the internet's memory is very, very long. Drunken photos at private parties can get a person fired these days. I think that's wrong and as someone who runs a business as part of my job, I don't engage in the practice of that sort of background checking. I'll let someone go if they can't do the job, not because they have opinions that differ from mine or get wasted on their own time.

Not everyone here posts anonymously because of the reasons above, but we all feel secure knowing that because we're anonymous, we don't have to worry about having called someone a bad name in the heat of an argument and have that come back to haunt us.

If the Forum had been set up wth utter transparency, with us all using our full names, it would probably be a very diffferent place, and I don't think a better one.

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rhyeking, you have raised some good points here. However I am going to stick with my username, Mr Mercury, for the time being as for me its just a bit of fun as well as a tip of the hat towards the band. Its got nothing to do with hiding behind a false identity and subsequently using that to vent any false opinions. I have never been like that in real life and I am not on here either. Simply put I tend to call a spade a spade. And most people on here do know my real name anyway.

Posting anonimously doesnt just happen here. Check out the forums on QOL where some truly spiteful posting that goes on - and that place is moderated!! A while back I was asked by a person I do know in real life to help back their argument up in one thread. This person had to put up with some vile and very personal attacks on them by another poster. All the mods did there was to remove the posts of the person I knew and the attackers posts were left albeit "slightly edited".

Me personally, I cannot get upset by some people's postings on here- or on any internet forum. To me, and until I meet them in person (and even then I might not get upset), they are just a bunch of words on a screen.


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
John Oswald user not visiting Queenzone.com
John Oswald
Champion: 58 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well seeing as how I use my real name as a username on here no-one can accuse me of posting anonymously can they ?[img=/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif][/img]

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wasn't implying that everyone here is hiding in order to stir up crap or lie or be jerks (those there do seem to be some of those, as in real life). I'm willing to bet that most people here are honest, have legitimate opinions and say what they would say to your face if we were all in a room together. The difference is, if I say something in real life, it's probably not being recorded and can be used against me later.

I don't post under 'rhyeking' because I'm worried about stuff like that, I was just saying that I know it happens with jobs and public figures and such. I DO want a certain amount of anonymity, but no more than I'd get if I was walking down the street. Some people on these Forums do know me in real life. I've met people who post here at conventions and am up front that I'm the guy who goes by 'rhyeking' on the boards. I also don't say anything here differently than I would in a face to face conversation.

Greg and John, both of whom I respect, brought up recently that they use their names and the rest of us don't. I don't think it really matters if we use our real names here. What's the difference between using "Womanizer457" and "John Q. Smith"? Greg, as an employee of QP, is doing us a favour by letting us know who he is and opening himself up to 'the masses.' He has a key job as Archivist and could easily post here anonymously, but doesn't. I respect that. John Stuart is a serious collector and something of an self-made expert on Queen recordings. I respect his knowledge even if I don't agree with him on points of subjectivity sometimes. John has built a reputation and allows his name to stand for something. It doesn't mean that we anonymous fans are less entitled to our opinions because we don't use our real names or that we're less credible. 

We allow our words to stand for us, and as such have a responsiblity to be as clear as possible. We should also give fellow posters the benefit of the doubt if we think they're saying something that insults our sensibilities. Unless they are out-and-out attacking or flaming another poster or are just being idiotic, assume they're just seeing things differently. I present my point of view and try to accept others'. 

That's all we can really do here.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just because I post here under my own name - does not mean that it automatically suggests that everyone else should do the same. Therein lies the irony.

I post under my real name - but do not care what psuedenom others post under - indeed I support psuedenoms if that is how people wish to contribute.
On the otherhand, Greg who insists that people write under their real name - prefers to hide behind the mask of 'Queen Archivist'.

At the end of the day - it is what people say that is important.
If 'Big Willie' writes a valid point - it is the point we discuss - not whether he deserves to be called 'big' or not!

Likewise, I can write a load of rubbish under my real name - but that does not make my rubbish any more valid.

My point is that this discussion is futile, and originally influenced by the imigination of a man without one.
(Not rhyeking by the way!)

I can just hear the interview now:
'Sorry Mr. Mercury. Your views on Bo Rhap are invalid because you do not wish to talk under the name of Bulsara!'

This forum is meant to be fun. Let's keep it that way.


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think that real names are important over here. Peopel come to talk, discuss, argue, know something new, share opinions, have fun etc etc... And go back to what they did. It's not any kind of official document (as it was said before). It have been for long time like that, as I see. Why sould it change? The real names won't make this site any better.
My position is "contra" real names.

EDIT: Of course, if somebody wants to use his/her real name- no problem

John Oswald user not visiting Queenzone.com
John Oswald
Champion: 58 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



rhyeking wrote:

I wasn't implying that everyone here is hiding in order to stir up crap or lie or be jerks (those there do seem to be some of those, as in real life). I'm willing to bet that most people here are honest, have legitimate opinions and say what they would say to your face if we were all in a room together. The difference is, if I say something in real life, it's probably not being recorded and can be used against me later.

I don't post under 'rhyeking' because I'm worried about stuff like that, I was just saying that I know it happens with jobs and public figures and such. I DO want a certain amount of anonymity, but no more than I'd get if I was walking down the street. Some people on these Forums do know me in real life. I've met people who post here at conventions and am up front that I'm the guy who goes by 'rhyeking' on the boards. I also don't say anything here differently than I would in a face to face conversation.

Greg and John, both of whom I respect, brought up recently that they use their names and the rest of us don't. I don't think it really matters if we use our real names here. What's the difference between using "Womanizer457" and "John Q. Smith"? Greg, as an employee of QP, is doing us a favour by letting us know who he is and opening himself up to 'the masses.' He has a key job as Archivist and could easily post here anonymously, but doesn't. I respect that. John Stuart is a serious collector and something of an self-made expert on Queen recordings. I respect his knowledge even if I don't agree with him on points of subjectivity sometimes. John has built a reputation and allows his name to stand for something. It doesn't mean that we anonymous fans are less entitled to our opinions because we don't use our real names or that we're less credible. 

We allow our words to stand for us, and as such have a responsiblity to be as clear as possible. We should also give fellow posters the benefit of the doubt if we think they're saying something that insults our sensibilities. Unless they are out-and-out attacking or flaming another poster or are just being idiotic, assume they're just seeing things differently. I present my point of view and try to accept others'. 

That's all we can really do here. 

Calm down rhyeking I know you weren't implying that lol I was just teasing you lol guess I should've made it more obvious that I was kidding huh?








rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, I'm totally cool. :-)

My posts just always sound so serious. I'm working on that!

Cheers, all.

John Oswald user not visiting Queenzone.com
John Oswald
Champion: 58 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL ! It's ok Rhyeking this is the ''Serious Discussion'' Forum afterall [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just to clear things up - I wasnt suggesting that you, Rhyeking, were suggesting that sort of thing either.

John, your point about Greg wanting people to post under the real names whilst posting under his Queen Archivist monicker possibly is the reason why I cant take his rants that seriously.


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Mr Mercury wrote:

Just to clear things up - I wasnt suggesting that you, Rhyeking, were suggesting that sort of thing either.

John, your point about Greg wanting people to post under the real names whilst posting under his Queen Archivist monicker possibly is the reason why I cant take his rants that seriously.






what the problem to put your real name??????


P.A
Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can anyone think of an Archivist who has probably wet himself laughing by now?
I know I can.

Fair dues to you Greg, any flippant comment, on any obscure topic, and you've got them going.
It's like a form of advanced Ventriloquism.



Arse.

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



QueenPaulo wrote:



 



Mr Mercury wrote:



Just to clear things up - I wasnt suggesting that you, Rhyeking, were suggesting that sort of thing either.



John, your point about Greg wanting people to post under the real names whilst posting under his Queen Archivist monicker possibly is the reason why I cant take his rants that seriously.



 



 



 



what the problem to put your real name?????? 




There is no problem. At least I dont have a problem with it. Greg apparently has.......






"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hell no. If I have to start using my real name, I´m outta here. Wouldn´t you if you lived in the same 150000p town as Treasure Moment?


It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



QueenPaulo wrote:



 



Mr Mercury wrote:



Just to clear things up - I wasnt suggesting that you, Rhyeking, were suggesting that sort of thing either.



John, your point about Greg wanting people to post under the real names whilst posting under his Queen Archivist monicker possibly is the reason why I cant take his rants that seriously.



 



 



 



what the problem to put your real name?????? 



The thing is that you can get a problem just like the one all over Serious Discussion board:)






PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



dragon-fly wrote:







QueenPaulo wrote:











 







Mr Mercury wrote:







Just to clear things up - I wasnt suggesting that you, Rhyeking, were suggesting that sort of thing either.







John, your point about Greg wanting people to post under the real names whilst posting under his Queen Archivist monicker possibly is the reason why I cant take his rants that seriously.











 







 







 







what the problem to put your real name?????? 







The thing is that you can get a problem just like the one all over Serious Discussion board:)







people are afraid to show your name !?!?!?!?!?! come on






P.A
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 09, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People are not afraid, just- people are not intrested.
May I ask you why is it so important to you?