Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Which is Better Queen II or Sheer Heart Attack

forum rss feed
Author

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen II, No Doubt.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6245 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You said it. Topic closed.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

LosingMyBeat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very difficult, I like both but if I have to choose ... Queen II... 
Okay new question: Queen I or Sheer Heart Attack?

Too sad that I have to go to a forum on internet to find people who wants to discuss Queen as much as I... People are stupid - Queen Rocks
John Oswald user not visiting Queenzone.com
John Oswald
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Between Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack I choose Sheer Heart Attack and the same answer happens with Queen I to be honest

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah Killer Queen and Now I'm here are two reasons for choosing SHA, I love the early stuff so it´s pretty hard to choose.. Depends on what mood I´m in. Okay, 70's Queen or 80´s Queen?

Too sad that I have to go to a forum on internet to find people who wants to discuss Queen as much as I... People are stupid - Queen Rocks

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aaaaw
Brighton Rock, Stone Cold Crazy... I change my answer to Sheer Heart Attack!
Grabbed SHA from my bookshelf and realized my mistake [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img]

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

You said it. Topic closed.

this guy open the forum to discuss and say: Queen II no doubt!

?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!??

P.A

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well since this is the first topic i've posted on I think it should be open... LOL

princetom user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All people who say SHA, they should listen very closely to Q2!QueenII is an ALBUM, whilst SHA is a bunch of (no doubt:) great songs.

prince[tOM]
rodge-fred-bri-deaky user not visiting Queenzone.com
rodge-fred-bri-deaky
Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Heart attack but its close. I love tenement funster, flick of the wrist, lily of the valley, stone cold crazy, misfire and Bring back..........
I do love Ogre Battle, fairy feller's master stroke, nevermore and march of the black queen though.

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The problem is, i assume the same for most people here, that theres something in every song to love... Even the slightest gesture from Freddie in a live performance, a perfectly sung verse, a beautiful harmony in the chorus, a nod from Brian or a smile from Roger can make you fall in love in each and everyone of the songs... I change my favourite song/album everyday!
I want it all, and I want it now!

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well it is a Shame that such a Good album like Queen II is not winning the Poll of 1974, however Sheer Heart Attack was my First Queen Album and one of my Favourites.

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The one I find more interesting is Sheer Heart Attack. It works as a prelude to Queen's masterpiece, A Night At The Opera, hinting here and there at what was yet to come, but retaining a kind of unbridled explosion of creativity which would later on be skillfuly tailored, and worked upon, to suit the needs of producing a truly grand and outstanding masterpiece.

Lily of The Valley must be one of Queen's most well-acomplished compositions, and it's always struck me as a surprise given its length and appearent lack of ambition. Freddie's vocals are as beautiful as his piano playing, and the way the song is woven through very expressive, though sparse, chords and beautifully crafted arpeggiated lines is really top-notch.

That wild and for many off-putting mix of different beasts in the melting pot gives the album an almost nonsensical diversity which prevents it from being tiresome or making for a boring listening experience, to my mind.

It strikes me as an album to people who enjoy music in general, not this or that style: it addresses music as a whole. And, in its own way, it succeeds in doing so, in my opinion: there's a bit of pretty much everything for anyone to taste - from the classical flavored ballad "Lily of The Valley" onto the brisky rocker or hard rocker "Stone Cold Crazy". 

Songs such as Brighton Rock, after being duly tamed and stripped of its all too campy humor and frivolous lyrics, would open up the way to what's arguably Queen's greatest song - Bohemian Rhapsody. Brighton Rock's lush vocal harmonies made up of extravagant superposed falsettos coupled with different kinds of sound compression and multitracking, which also allowed for the beguliling illusion of a plethora of different guitars either shouting or mourning their way through the song at the same time as if in an orchestral rock orgy, were prone to overwhelm and conquer the listener - these are all elements which make this and other songs of the album a bridge to Bohemian Rhapsody. When Freddie managed to put the pieces together, to add the drama and intimacy of such songs as Lily of the Valey to the lush and humorous arrangements of the likes of Brighton Rock, he produced what may be arguably Queen's most accomplished song - Bohemian Rhapsody, the epitome of almost - not all, but almost - everything Queen had been doing up to that point.

Yara
Queen On Ice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ice Cold
Queen On Ice
Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For individual songs and variety, SHA is better, but Queen II is by far the better as a flow-thru Album.

Apart from Flash (soundtrack anyway) QII is the closest Queen got to a 'concept' album, and the effort and work put into it's many many layers was a feat even thay could not top on a whole album again. That man Mike Stone (RIP) was a magician on that album.

If you're searching out for something,

Don't try do hard.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I adore 'II', but I adore 'SHA' more.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
queenside user not visiting Queenzone.com
taking my ride with destiny
queenside
Bohemian: 603 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

which one is better from those 2 albums? that has to be one of the hardest questions about queen

I watched as fear took the old men's gaze

Hopes of the young in troubled graves

I see no day, I heard him say

So grey is the face of every mortal

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In terms of the outrageousness of the arrangements and sheer audacity of the compositions - Queen II.

In terms of pop sensibility - Sheer Heart Attack.

To some, SHA is the better record because they stripped down their sound to make it more accessible, but Queen II is undoubtedly the more progressive of the two.

Gun to my head?  I pick Queen II.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Queen On Ice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ice Cold
Queen On Ice
Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

In terms of the outrageousness of the arrangements and sheer audacity of the compositions - Queen II.

In terms of pop sensibility - Sheer Heart Attack.

To some, SHA is the better record because they stripped down their sound to make it more accessible, but Queen II is undoubtedly the more progressive of the two.

Gun to my head?  I pick Queen II.

No, there were no 'guns to heads' till ANATO.

Haha, kidding of course.

I agree with your post fully.

If you're searching out for something,

Don't try do hard.
The Royalist user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Royalist
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with the poster on this one and it's the most famous poster of them all. The cover of Queen II.

I love SHA which is brimming with the expectations of a band who know they are on the cusp of greatness. The variety and humour on this album is terrific...ummm...this is a tough one. No, still going to plump for the white and black Queeny LP.

How good were Queen back then? Bliss.

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 09, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, I'm tearing apart! I am agree that Queen II looks more like an album, when Sheer Heart Attack is a bit promiscuous.
Queen II is like an epic story. It fascinates. It reaches you on another level. It's more about something subconscious, more about fantasy...
Sheer Heart Attack has these kind of rhythms which grab you straight away. The variety amuses and gives a joy.
Sorry, I can't pick...