Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Michael Jackson: Overrated entertainer compared to Freddie Mercury

forum rss feed
Author

tay120 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even though I am a Michael Jackson fan, I feel like he is totally overrated as an entertainer compared to Freddie. Does anyone else agree here.

A lot of people have been suggesting that Michael Jackson is "the greatest entertainer of all time." While I agree that he made some really great videos, he is not even in the same league as Freddie as a live performer. I recently saw a Michael Jackson concert, and I simply did not see the level of audience participation that you would see at a Queen concert. Although a lot of people were fainting and falling over during the M.J. concert, the crowd as a whole did not really seem engaged. I also did not hear the crowd singing along much. Furthermore, Michael Jackson is just not in the same league as Freddie when it comes to vocals.

Well, I was wondering about why anyone why Michael Jackson seems to get so much credit when there are so many more entertainers who are are clearly better at playing for large audiences.

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm..
It all boils down to personal taste in the end
FM had the edge in terms of being a frontman but MJ certainly had the edge on the dancefloor
]

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The most crowd participation I saw at a concert was at a Bryan Adams show. Conversely, there was relatively little crowd participation at the two Queen shows I saw in Dublin back in 1984.  So does that make Adams a bigger "entertainer" than Fred? Maybe. Maybe not. It's not something I lose much sleep over. I've had a great time at all sorts of shows -- Barry Manilow, Status Quo, Magnum, Pearl Jam, irish folk bands, classical concerts, etc. It might surprise some fans to know but Fred wasn't the greatest singer ever, John wasn't the greatest bass player ever, Roger isn't the greatest drummer ever, and Brian isn't the greatest guitarist ever. So stop worrying about who's the greatest and just enjoy the music.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

2 diffrent types of entertainment i think.
pop/disco/black.. versus ..glam/rock/opera/etc.
so 2 diffrent audiances.
jackson was more a girly fan base.
mercury more  a mans singer.
both had there good points as to how to put on a show,but i thing freddie would win it.
jackson overrated???,i dont know multi million seller, as was fred.
if you asked this in a jackson bassed fan room he would win.
here freddie wins.
as for me.hell freddie of course.but,i am not a girl who likes someone clasping there crotch with a glove on my hand lol.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah.

You bet.

You must miss Earth.

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 22:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you could also ask who was the better Musician ..... I would cleary say Freddie.... By Far,..... By Light years....

Freddies studio work, all in all........ ..much better.... and MJ had some great work... so that says somethign

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's all a matter of taste, but Freddie DID hold a crowd better than Jacko ever did.
Second only to Freddie is Dee Snider. He's also one hell of a frontman!

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I consider Jackson as, primarily, a dancer. His music I find thoroughly dull.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 07:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wouldn´t it have been great seeing Freddie flying off stage?
:-)

"oh dear, tell me, I only have to push this button and fly way? What? a stunt double doing it instead of me, as Jacko does? no way, I´ll do it myself!"

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another "Who has bigger balls" thread ?

I don't like Michael Jackson's music, but I think he has done the most fantastic videos I have ever seen.
I love Queen's music but I think that ALL their videos suck

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ALL their videos sucked?

you don´t have an idea of what you´re talking about man...

Queen rocks!
pittrek

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

masterstroke_84 wrote:

ALL their videos sucked?

you don´t have an idea of what you´re talking about man...

That's just my personal opinion of course. Well the only Queen video I honestly like is I Want To Break Free, that one's at least funny :)

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only thing that kinda made me lose respect for MJ as a performer was that he lip-synched too much. I know it's a common practice when it comes to pop music with heavy dance routines, but actually I prefer to see a performer who sings live, and doesn't dance that much.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89
Bohemian: 185 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Jackson was the only human born a black man that died a white woman. That in istelf is impressive. How did he pull that one off?!?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lookin' Divine In Good Ol' '89 wrote:

Michael Jackson was the only human born a black man that died a white woman. That in istelf is impressive. How did he pull that one off?!?

Vitiligo and lupus.

Learn a bit about the guy and his history before cracking misinformed jokes about him.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

I don't like Michael Jackson's music, but I think he has done the most fantastic videos I have ever seen.

For the most part, yeah. But the Innuendo video is a masterwork.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yea, but a lot of pop stars are overated  IMO, michael is overated, but not as a dancer. The man could dance, though that style isn't for me.

pittrek

Posted: 18 Aug 09, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doxonrox wrote:

pittrek wrote:

For the most part, yeah. But the Innuendo video is a masterwork.

Most of the pop / rock music videos show the band / performer mime to the album / single audio, they simply pretend they're playing it. It's not only Queen problem, it's a very general problem, that's why I stopped watching music videos regularly cca 10 years ago - I've been once a huge MTV fan. They're simply boring.

Innuendo is great, something very interesting and visually impressive. The same goes for Slightly Mad, Bohemian Rhapsody, Break Free and Ga Ga and maybe some other videos which I can't remember right now.

But Michael Jackson didn't shoot only "music videos", he shot also "mini movies". Just watch the full versions (e.g. on YouTube) of Black Or White, Ghosts, Thriller, Speed Demon, Remember The Time, Bad  ... it's simply a pleasure to watch the stuff (even when I DON'T like the music very much !)

That's what I tried to write originally :)

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 09, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To me it's unimportant (at least in the case of Queen) that they happen to be miming.  We all know how much they hate videos in the studio...   

I don't mind a video if it's well filmed.  Breakthru, The Miracle and These Are The Days of Our Lives are wonderful looking videos, although I wish that Debbie person wasn't in Breakthru.  She's kind of pointless.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
fmarsong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 09, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What you mean all Queen's Video suck?..This Band was the first Band who introduced to the world the MTV..thru Bo Rhap..youre out of your mind! Queen rules and Freddie Mercury reign the world of music.

aiza