Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Music today really sucks. Why?

forum rss feed
Author

tay120 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel like music today really sucks. Among other things, I never hear music that really rocks anymore. Even though I actually kind of liked rap music back in the 1990s (Tupac is one of my favorites), rap music today does not seem very original anymore. I am also really sick of teenage act like Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. I might have liked this kind of tuff when I was 10 or so. Beyond that age, I would expect that young people would mature in terms of musical taste. I guess not.

So I am wondering about what is wrong with young people today. Why don't they want to hear sophisticated rock music anymore? Why is music today so weak and sickly?

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The newest thing I listen to is Megadeth.  Well, technically the newest band I listen to is Q+PR

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's all influence... one band start with idiot music, other bands start too... and the people like!!!!! i don't know why!!!!!.....

It's not all suck... have great musician today,,,  but is dificult to see!

P.A
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it sucks because of the lack of.....bay city rollers,slik,wizzard,pure disco,mud,slade,glitter band,showaddywaddy,pure glam rock,,,we need to bring the fun back to music.
i say bring back glam rock,long hair,make up,and tight jeans(and thats just the guys).
i remember listening to radio luxumberg on medium wave radio.
the sound coming and going,
good times.
a time when there was no manufactured tv shows ,to be a star in 5 episodes.
most of todays music is not so good.
when did you last see the osmonds in the charts,or even ,alvin stardust.
thats what wrong with music today.no class acts.
ELO.t,rex.baccara.the list is endless.
i say bring back the 70s music.
now wheres my flares and platform shoes.

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 465 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there are thousands of great rocking new bands nowadays.
move to a big city, read music mags and you´ll find them if you
dig for them and turn that fuckin mtv off.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4626 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tay120 wrote:

I feel like music today really sucks. Among other things, I never hear music that really rocks anymore. Even though I actually kind of liked rap music back in the 1990s (Tupac is one of my favorites), rap music today does not seem very original anymore. I am also really sick of teenage act like Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. I might have liked this kind of tuff when I was 10 or so. Beyond that age, I would expect that young people would mature in terms of musical taste. I guess not.

So I am wondering about what is wrong with young people today. Why don't they want to hear sophisticated rock music anymore? Why is music today so weak and sickly?

The problem is, the young people of today are doing exactly the same thing that you and I probably did to the older generations of our time. They are not listening to our bands because they want their own identity musically. They will only listen to music that is "theirs". I did the same with my dad all those years ago. He played stuff by Glen Miller, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and the like to try and get me interested. I was (and still am) into bands Like Queen, Free, Status Quo, Mott The Hoople at the time and didnt want to know about all that old stuff. These days I have a huge admiration for my old mans style of music. This will probably happen with this generation as well.

Teenage acts will always exist like they have since pop music began. In the 50's there was Elvis and Cliff and the likes. In the 60's there was The Beatles and the Stones. In the 70's there was some real cheesy acts like Bay City Rollers, Marmalade, David Cassidy, the Osmonds. There was the whole Stock, Aitken and Waterman output in the 80's. They were responsible for Kylie, Sonia, Bananarama, Jason Donovan, Rick Astley, et al. I wont bother with the 90's since by now I think you will have the point of what I am saying here. Basically, its record company fodder that sells.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

tay120 wrote:

The problem is, the young people of today are doing exactly the same thing that you and I probably did to the older generations of our time. They are not listening to our bands because they want their own identity musically. They will only listen to music that is "theirs". I did the same with my dad all those years ago. He played stuff by Glen Miller, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and the like to try and get me interested. I was (and still am) into bands Like Queen, Free, Status Quo, Mott The Hoople at the time and didnt want to know about all that old stuff. These days I have a huge admiration for my old mans style of music. This will probably happen with this generation as well.

Teenage acts will always exist like they have since pop music began. In the 50's there was Elvis and Cliff and the likes. In the 60's there was The Beatles and the Stones. In the 70's there was some real cheesy acts like Bay City Rollers, Marmalade, David Cassidy, the Osmonds. There was the whole Stock, Aitken and Waterman output in the 80's. They were responsible for Kylie, Sonia, Bananarama, Jason Donovan, Rick Astley, et al. I wont bother with the 90's since by now I think you will have the point of what I am saying here. Basically, its record company fodder that sells.

couldnt of said it better my self

Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tay120 wrote:

That is what the people also said in the seventies...

And the eighties...

And the nineties and so on...

There is good music out there but you have to look for it.

The majority what was in the Top 50 in the seventies was also crap...don't forget that.

And I think we have with for example U2 one of the finest bands in musical history these days...

You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18455 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While there has always been crap, how many artists can we name that have come out in the last 30 years that will be mentioned 50 years from now in the same sentence as the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Queen, Floyd, etc.?

1. U2

Personal tastes aside, that's honestly all I can think of.

There is so much incredible music out there today, but the record labels suppress it, in the interest of marketing an image to teenagers (the largest group of people with a disposable income) instead of marketing music.  Appearance has become more important than talent.

They create pop stars out of ordinary people, fix up their voices with computers, and market them as if they are actually talented.  In order to fund this, they target random downloaders who have to cough up hundreds of thousands of dollars (at least) in fines for "copyright infringement", when this act is, in reality, no different from borrowing a book from a library.  Most people don't buy records anymore because there aren't many records on major labels that are worth buying.  It's easy for the big labels to blame downloading for the decline in record sales, but they know what the real reason is.  With the exception of Metallica and Prince, artists generally don't go after fans for downloading.  The companies do, because they make far more money on record sales than artists do.

Everyone needs to turn off the top 40 (aka virtually every) mainstream radio station and find an online indie station to listen to, where thousands of great artists are waiting to be heard.  Most of the bands on the radio now have absolutely nothing new to offer to the table.  The radio hasn't offered anything new and original in at least 25 years... about the time when MTV came along.  Coincidence?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not all teens enjoy what's popular.  I'm a teenager and I hate new music.  It just sounds bad.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would have agreed with you on the U2 thing ten years ago.

But looking back, War, Joshua Tree, and parts of Achtung Baby are indeed top notch, but the collective works surrounding them doesn't compare to the bands mentioned.

In fact, we may never have another band of The Beatles / Stones / Hendrix calibur.  Pearl Jam had a chance, had they kept going, because they are always the first band mentioned when the word "Grunge" comes up.  But grunge wasn't really something that was going to last.  I mean, how much heroin and songs in D can you do? 

The American Idol generation has caused us to stop following what is not hot right now.  Unless you churn out hit records every year, you're here today-gone tomorrow.  And will we ever have another album that has 5-6 hit singles on it?  (Michael, Huey Lewis, Bryan Adams, Madonna, etc.)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18455 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

I would have agreed with you on the U2 thing ten years ago.

But looking back, War, Joshua Tree, and parts of Achtung Baby are indeed top notch, but the collective works surrounding them doesn't compare to the bands mentioned.

Yeah, true enough.  They've been coasting with their last few records.  All That You Can't Leave Behind was a great record, but still not as strong as the three you mentioned.  But one can only commend them for trying out new sounds throughout the 90s.

But grunge wasn't really something that was going to last.  I mean, how much heroin and songs in D can you do?

Ha, exactly.  It wasn't meant to last.  It was just a response to hair metal and guys playing the guitar way too fast.  Everyone wanted to copy Eddie Van Halen, but by the late 80s it was just way out of control.  Similarly, punk was the response to progressive rock in the 70s.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 09, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gee, sounds like a good time to re-ask this question in a different part of the forum:  Has anyone here read Dave Thompson's book, I Hate New Music, the classic rock manifesto? I've tried to decide whether to get it but the reviews I've read have been all over the place.

Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8670 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a lot of great music at the moment, you just have to open your mind. Look ahead.

U2, Depeche Mode (still making great music)
Muse
Actic Monkeys
Franz Ferdinand
Placebo
Katie Melua
Pendulum
Mika
Jason Mraz
Kaiser Chiefs
Editors
Interpol
Katy Perry
Paulo Nutini
Paramore
Lady Ga Ga
and many others

Killed by drones.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 03:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See I was watching an interview with Roger Daltrey in the late 70's where he says "I'd hate to be a new band now, trying to do something that hasn't been done before".

Granted, I think music is in the gutter right now, but good stuff has been done since he did that interview, and it will be done again.  

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 854 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sexmachine wrote:
turn that fuckin mtv off.

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2043 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

While there has always been crap, how many artists can we name that have come out in the last 30 years that will be mentioned 50 years from now in the same sentence as the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Queen, Floyd, etc.?

1. U2

is there room for Springsteen in that list ?

I think so ... well, although he´s been into the business for +30 years :D

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6245 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mainstream music has *always* been generally sucky, with the odd exception. Because we always look at the past in a 'filtered' way (we already know what happened, so it's easier to see structure) and because only good artists tend to survive the test of time, it appears that music used to be better. However, any listen to a more or less average radio broadcast from the '60s or '70s will shatter that dream almost instantaneously. There has always been good and bad music out there, good music was always more rare, and always more difficult to find than bad music.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

ActionThisDay user not visiting Queenzone.com
Every little thing helps ;-)
ActionThisDay
Bohemian: 256 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look what is happening with The Specials. The 30 Annie Tour is such a hit you can't get tickets for 'em as they sell out as quick as they come on the market...........and they haven't had a big hit since 1981.

LucTonnerre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll go with sexmachine on that topic. There's so many great bands today that are almost as epic as Queen were.Just listen to bands like

THE ARCADE FIRE - it can't get any bigger than this. 10 people on stage that play and sing like it's the last thing they're ever gonna do. so miuch heart and love in their songs and performance. Songs to listen to: wake up, rebellion (lies), neighborhood #2 (laika), the crown of love, black mirror, no cars go...
MUSE - combining classical elements in modern rock music. plus as a trio they have the most powerful sound you're gonna hear on any stage right now.Songs: uno, muscle museum, newborn, space dimentia, supermassive black hole, starlight...
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - deep songs with lots of sound variety and very very good lyrics.Songs: transatlanticism, the new year, pity and fear, we laugh indoors...
just to name my favourite 3 of a lot...