Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > How many The Cosmos Rocks copies have been sold?

forum rss feed
Author

marcio17@queenzone.com user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 121 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just wanted to know that fact, and contribute to Queen´s archives, as they don´t count their sales.
I checked several days ago on wikipedia, and only the U.S. sales numbers are shown, and on queenpedia, no data available. Cheers.

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

marcio17@queenzone.com wrote:

I just wanted to know that fact, and contribute to Queen´s archives, as they don´t count their sales.
I checked several days ago on wikipedia, and only the U.S. sales numbers are shown, and on queenpedia, no data available. Cheers.

Alot of album!!!! this i know!!!!

But a lot of Queen fans doesn't bought it!!!!

P.A
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

marcio17@queenzone.com wrote: How many The Cosmos Rocks copies have been sold?

go deo na hÉireann
Simon Brown user not visiting Queenzone.com
Simon Brown
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

about 500000 physical copies apparently

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...half a million is good enough, thanks. How did you know that?

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

internet.... internet is a very good tool!!! Wow... it's  a really great information!!!!!!

half a milion!!!! they could sell more!!!!

P.A
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I bought 3 copies, believe it or not.

1) The Tour Edition - UK Import (because I didn't want to wait a month after it came out in the UK for it to get released in Canada).

2) The CD + Live In Japan DVD Edition (when it was finally released in US at Best Buy because it had the DVD, bought while visiting family in Michigan)

3) The 2 LP Gatefold (it was on sale during a Boxing Day [a Canadian post-Xmas retail sale day] Sale, because I had every other Queen LP, so I figured I should have this too).

Posted: 14 Aug 09, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I bought the Tour Edition, and the Live in Ukraine DVD.

woodi485485 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 09, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cosmos Rock is now on sale for £3 in HMV, but the edition which has the Japan Live DVD is £22.

In all my years of collecting Queen and Queen related stuff, I have never seen a CD at such a low price, not even tribute CD's!!!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 09, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It depends who you ask.  I've heard figures ranging from "too many" to "not enough".

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
queenside user not visiting Queenzone.com
taking my ride with destiny
queenside
Bohemian: 608 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 09, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

half a millions isn't bad considering very poor promotion and the fact that a lot of people don't know that it exist. for example new heaven and hell album the devil you know (and H&H is black sabbath with dio so it also has 3 legendary musicans in dio, iommi and butler with a new name) has sold circa 100 000 copies. i know that's different kind of music but still i think half a million for TCR is decent result. but you have to consider the fact that H&H fans are not divided like QPR fans, basically everybody loves that band and the fact that they're touring.

I watched as fear took the old men's gaze

Hopes of the young in troubled graves

I see no day, I heard him say

So grey is the face of every mortal

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 09, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

much more i would like to know how many of these 500 000 buyer have listened to it in the last 6 month.
i havn´t.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 09, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sexmachine wrote:

much more i would like to know how many of these 500 000 buyer have listened to it in the last 6 month.
i havn´t.

Same here. Bought the cd (remember: normally I buy new releases on vinyl)
for $ 5,- on ebay. Listened to it once...

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 09, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mine is for sale... Anyone??

As new...

rhyeking

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When was the last time anyone listened to Flash Gordon or Hot Space all the way through here? I've listened to The Cosmos Rocks more than I've listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall or The Beatles' White Album. They're brilliant, but it's like watching Schinder's List from start to finish. When was the last time anyone here did *that* by choice (history classes don't count)?

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually Cosmos Rocks is in the CD player in my car all the time. Certainly far more often than Hot Space, Worksor AKOM.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 08:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's face it - Cosmos Rocks isn't a masterpiece or a magnum opus. It is however the most FUN album they've ever made in my opinion and it shows. The whole album flows really well from start to finish and it's definitely in my top 5 of favourite Queenalbums. Music doesn't have to be intelligent with clever lyrics, strange melodies or big choirs to be enjoyed.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

When was the last time anyone listened to Flash Gordon or Hot Space all the way through here? I've listened to The Cosmos Rocks more than I've listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall or The Beatles' White Album. They're brilliant, but it's like watching Schinder's List from start to finish. When was the last time anyone here did *that* by choice (history classes don't count)?

It must be an attention span thing.  I did that easily a few months ago.  Hahaha.  All 3 of those things, in fact.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Let's face it - Cosmos Rocks isn't a masterpiece or a magnum opus. It is however the most FUN album they've ever made in my opinion and it shows. The whole album flows really well from start to finish and it's definitely in my top 5 of favourite Queenalbums. Music doesn't have to be intelligent with clever lyrics, strange melodies or big choirs to be enjoyed.

I'd say it has a good, fun atmosphere (or at least portrays that they had fun while doing it) but not enough to justify it being on my computer for repeated listenings.   I mean just because I get to hear Paul laugh at the end of a couple of tracks doesn't really make it an inclusive bonding experience with the band.

rhyeking

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

rhyeking wrote:

It must be an attention span thing.  I did that easily a few months ago.  Hahaha.  All 3 of those things, in fact.

Actually, I confess that I did listen to The White Album from start to finish last month. A while back I got board and compiled all The Beatles original albums and singles (not the Anthologies or the BBC sessions) in chronological order onto 10 CDs. I listened to them all while playing Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, so naturally I listened to The White Album amongst all of those.

I don't think I've listened to The Wall all the way through since I was in high school. I've listened to tracks from it at different times, but I haven't put it on just to listen to it.

I haven't watch Schindler's List since it came out and I saw it in the theatre. It's the only movie I ever saw that had an actual intermission halfway through (Monty Python And the Holy Grail doesn't count!).