Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Muse

forum rss feed
Author

rodge-fred-bri-deaky user not visiting Queenzone.com
rodge-fred-bri-deaky
Rocker: 27 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know, are Muse Queen fans or just mocking them? If you've listened to United states of Eurasia you know what I mean. Also, apparently the Muse guy sings Falsetto (Roger), built his own guitar (Brian) and writes like Freddie (again listen to USOE). If they are taking the piss then they should grow up and if they aren't at least there is one act in the world that knows music when they hear it, even if their new single was a bit rubbish.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6242 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger didn't invent falsetto singing and Brian didn't invent inventing guitars.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Muse have got over 4 to 5 albums... and are getting pretty popular.

I dont think a band like that would be whilling to mock queen. It wouldnt be good for there success.

If anything, I would say they are Queen fans....

Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 491 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a hard Muse fan. In fact, they are very influenced by Queen. (The drummer Dominic is a well-known Queen fan).
The track that you mentioned is particularly influenced by Queen. But they are not just copying everything Queen did. They are one of their major influences, among Rage Against The Machine, romantic composers like Chopin and Rachmaninoff, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, etc. They combine all this influences to create their own sound.

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18453 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shame on them for having influences.

As far as I'm concerned, Muse are one of the best and most creative bands of the last 20 years.  It took them a couple records to find their sound, and now that they have, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 09, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bo Alex wrote:

I'm a hard Muse fan. In fact, they are very influenced by Queen. (The drummer Dominic is a well-known Queen fan).
The track that you mentioned is particularly influenced by Queen. But they are not just copying everything Queen did. They are one of their major influences, among Rage Against The Machine, romantic composers like Chopin and Rachmaninoff, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, etc. They combine all this influences to create their own sound.

Nice to see Jeff Buckley and Radiohead mentioned on the website. I think "O.K Computer" is way better than any album by the band which Radiohead was said during a time to be a copy of: Pink Floyd.

I don't see much of an influence. You put it just right: it seems their sound comes from many different sources.

I feel there's some Queen influence but it's very loose. The band is quite creative. They're very uneven - just like Queen was, by the way - but I think they're on the right track. I have all their official albums and don't regret having bought any of them. This is already a great compliment these days...

It may sound funny, but one album on which I think there's definitely a heavy Queen influence is Silverchair's last album. To me the influence is clear: from the vocals, the songs' structures to the guitar playing, which has a more warm and melodic feeling to it, even in the harder tracks. 

But it's true, the guys from Muse, at least two of them, seem to really enjoy Queen. Though, as you correctly pointed out, it seems they enjoyed a lot of other artists as well and that's ultimately what enabled them to create their own sound. 

I still have to go to one of their concerts, though. Shame on me.  

Yara
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

I think "O.K Computer" is way better than any album by the band which Radiohead was said during a time to be a copy of: Pink Floyd.

What!!! That's preposterous! I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion but still...it's Pink Floyd!
I guess I'm one of those who don't "get" Radiohead.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2146 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Muse are one of the best and most creative bands of the last 20 years.  It took them a couple records to find their sound, and now that they have, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

You are very right!

I'm going to see them in November and I'm really looking forward to it.
They're a band that is unique both in the studio and on stage and that's what it is all about for me.

By the way, Bob, there's a recording of the entire evening from the Dream Theater/zappa plays zappa evening in Toronto on dime now:-)(weren't you going to see that show?)

on my way up
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I almost got into them around 2002-2003 when I bought their Hullabaloo album, which I think it's mostly B-sides and stuff like that. I lent it to a friend shortly after buying the album and never got it back but I remember liking what I head.

I saw them live last year and I thought it was a GREAT show! Outstanding musicians and really good songs. I only knew 3 or 4 songs but I remember thinking "Now THAT'S music!".

To any hardcore Muse fan: Do you know if they use backing tapes or if they have hidden supporting musicians for their live shows?

I mention this because It sounded like there was a lot going on in the show and they are only 3 guys! This would not change my opinion on them, though.

I did listen to United States of Eurasia many times last week and I enjoyed a lot. I think I'll buy their new album.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

same old discussion again...
http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=24083

From what I remember: Mat's mother is a Queen fan and played Queen's music a lot when Mat grew up.
Dominic IS a Queen fan.

Anyway, Muse: Great band. 
First liked them during the release of Bliss (single) and saw them live for the first time in 2006.
Like Raf, I will see them again during the coming tour and I'm very much looking forward to that!

Another fantastic band: Manic Street Preachers (sorry for being off topic!)

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

They are HUGE in Europe, UK and Japan already. 
US and Canada will follow soon I think!

They support U2 on their US tour. U2 is warned...:-) 

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

They support U2 on their US tour. U2 is warned...:-) 

Yep, and I'm going to see them!  Woo Hoo!  I'm mainly going because of Muse. [img=/images/smiley/msn/shades_smile.gif][/img]

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

Another fantastic band: Manic Street Preachers (sorry for being off topic!)

I wish I could see them, as well. 

Bo Alex

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw Muse live last year in Argentina. It was the best thing I saw in my whole life!!! (But I couldn't see Queen because I'm too young, just attended the Q+PR gig last year in Buenos Aires). This band is amazing live. Looking forward for their next album, The Resistance, out in September 14th. [img=/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif][/img]

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18453 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

there's a recording of the entire evening from the Dream Theater/zappa plays zappa evening in Toronto on dime now:-)(weren't you going to see that show?)

Wish I could have, but I had a gig to play that night.  DT played Take The Time and a Rush cover... The Camera Eye !

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2146 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 09, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

on my way up wrote:

there's a recording of the entire evening from the Dream Theater/zappa plays zappa evening in Toronto on dime now:-)(weren't you going to see that show?)

Wish I could have, but I had a gig to play that night.  DT played Take The Time and a Rush cover... The Camera Eye !
Oh, a pity you were unable to attend! (I guess that's the disadvantage of being a musician yourself:-)

Fantastic how DT always surprises their audience, isn't it:-) 

on my way up
shazamrock user not visiting Queenzone.com
shazamrock

Posted: 18 Aug 09, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

It may sound funny, but one album on which I think there's definitely a heavy Queen influence is Silverchair's last album. To me the influence is clear: from the vocals, the songs' structures to the guitar playing, which has a more warm and melodic feeling to it, even in the harder tracks. 

Hell yes.  Especially "If You Keep Losing Sleep."

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 09, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel a little like they're ubiquitous before their time.  If their material continues to improve the way it has though, they'll have earned a place alongside some pretty big names.  More power to them!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 09, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw them live as well... really powerfull... but not my stuff. Guess I'm the only Queen fan who doesn't like them too much. ;-)

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Bo Alex

Posted: 18 Aug 09, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They put this on their Official Site:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6170/teignmouthbannerhome.jpg

Do you think is a Queen reference?

BTW, there are available in iTunes a 30 seconds preview of each song of The Resistance. You can hear it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5vUMt33_Xw

I hear a big Queen influence's in some songs.