Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Utada Hikaru and Freddie/Queen

forum rss feed

death to ming! 15176 user not visiting

Rocker: 23 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Aug 09, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry for the previous blank message.

This post is intended for the kind of fan who wants to know EVERYthing Queen-related.
A few years back I introduced Utada Hikaru to the people of Queenzone when there was a thread about covers, I believe. She is a huge star in Japan, and her debut album is the best selling album of all time in Japan, going 32 x platinum (over 8 million copies). She has cited Freddie Mercury as one of her idols, and Freddie/Queen references have popped up a few times in her career.

Here she is, at 17, with a cover of Freddie's Living on My Own from her Bohemian Summer 2000 DVD:

In 2004, she released an English-language album called Exodus. On the song Animato, she references Freddie towards the end. (This wasn't released as a single, so the video isn't official.)

In 2008, she released a Japanese single called Prisoner of Love. True, there are several songs with that title, including one from 1931 with the line "I'm just a prisoner of love" -- the same line she uses in her song -- but I like to think that she was more influenced by the line in One Year of Love.

In 2009, she released another English-language album called This is the One. She references Freddie again, and that solo single of his, in the song This One (Crying like a Child):

She's headed towards a more R&B sound, but hopefully she can continue to throw in those little bits of Queen and Freddie.

Saif user not visiting

Royalty: 1109 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Aug 09, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, she did a great cover of Living On My Own. I'm not really into her music but I saw her cover of Boulevard Of Broken Dreams too somewhere and it wasn't bad either.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment