Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Newer members, what brought you here, and why now?

forum rss feed
Author

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Aug 09, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Obviously we are here because of a common interest in Queen, but this website has been here for how long? For a while at least, and Queen has been around for years, obviously. How many of you are young and just discovering Queen. I've noticed that a number of newer members seem to be quite knowledgeable about Queen. Are you moldy oldies like me (59) or somewhere in between? Where are you from? I've noticed that English isn't easy for everyone who posts here. Lets all talk about ourselves a bit and our relationship with Queen, if you want.

I'm from the USA. State of Iowa. I have of course known of Queen for years, but only in a casual way - the hits, you know. I haven't even listened to Rock music very much for years, except occasionally to the moldy oldies station. After the unbearable years of George Bush as president I had gotten involved in politics until it became glaringly obvious to me that the only way you could really have any influence there was to be filthy rich. Just getting involved in the process wasn't all that productive. That is all I'm going to say about that. I was very ready to move on.

It was Adam Lambert who kind of reconnected my interest in classic rock, and specifically in Queen, so that I searched for and found Queen Online, Brian's Soapboxhaand Queenzone. I latched onto our Queen Greatest Hits album and began playing it and listening to a classic rock station when I take my long drives over home to see my dad every couple of weeks. After a couple of trips, I thought if I had to listen to AC~DC screaming at me one more time I was going to poke my ear drums out with an ice pick! So I dug out what rock CD's I DID have - Doors, and Lou Reed, and some Tom Waits. Not sure how to classify Tom Waits. But the Queen CD was the one that got played, and I'd rather play it over than put anything else on. So I began acquiring every Queen album and DVD at the local music shop and then moved to online sources. I'm still in that process. Budgetting, you know? Right now Hammer To Fall is my absolute favorite. It might be something else a couple of weeks from now. I am delighted with many of their songs that were not the commercial hits.

I just picked up The Cosmos Rocks today, after looking at it a number of times and not quite being ready to go there. But I decided to take that plunge after reading in the archives at Brian's Soapbox during the period they were recording it, and another post he had made about Journey, after the sudden departure of their singer, Jeff Scott Soto, and listing several options for what direction the band would take after that. Option #4 was this:

"They find a singer with something NEW to offer, a new foil, someone who has a musical world of his own, and is worth arguing with! Even someone who can steal some of the limelight.This is what I have LOVED, working with our wonderful colleague, Paul Rodgers - yes, we can play the old stuff, and yes we can be, in a sense, a continuation of Queen, but everything is new - the sky is the limit - because, like in the Old Days, we are working with a brilliant creator, we are sharing a new creative process, feeding off each other's ideas - experimenting, growing. This is what excites me, at the age of....oh, forget it!! ha ha...."

Now how could I not give it a chance after reading that? I have only listened to some of it on the way home from town, but so far have been pleasantly surprised. I have another drive over home to see Dad tomorrow. [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img] There is another thread here about that album and I will check in there when I'm more familiar with it.

Well, I guess that is enough for my story! Anybody else?

Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
Through the eons... user not visiting Queenzone.com
Through the eons...
Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 25 Aug 09, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I'm guilty..... an old moldy from Texas.

When I was in high school, we were so into Killer Queen. As a senior, BoRap was released, and to me, that song really epitomizes Queen and their talent. It is a timeless masterpiece.

Let me skip my college years, marriage, and having children of which I spent listening to very little Queen, although I deeply mourned Freddie's passing. I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news that he had died........just like when President Kennedy and Elvis died.

Fast forward to 3 years ago when I heard "You're my best friend" on a cruise line commercial on t.v. I said to myself, "wait a minute, I've missed listening to that special sound for so long".  So, I started the research, and after one cd set, "The Platinum Collection", I got another and another. Every time I heard a new Queen song, well, at least new to me, such as "Who needs you" or "Las palabras", I was blown away. And don't get me started on Innuendo.....crazy about that one. I don't have the entire collection yet. I lack Queen I & II, Jazz, and The Game, but I will get them soon. I have Freddie's solo work too. I also hope to get all the dvd's. I love to watch them on YouTube.

I have a 24 year old daughter who's a middle school teacher, and a 27 year old son who's a PhD graduate school student, and they are amused at my love for Queen. They call me "groupie". My ringtones, which I learned to create myself with Acid Pro, are all Queen and my 2 mp3's are loaded with Queen and only Queen. The hubby doesn't really have an opinion either way. When he walks past my monitor and he sees me watching Rock Montreal or other videos on YouTube, he makes me unplug my earphones so he can hear too. He enjoys it for a little while, and then walks away. His loss......poor soul. LOL!

You know, I'm embarrassed to say it, and I hope that others here don't excommunicate me from this forum, but Paul Rodgers, although an extremely talented musician, didn't really do much to excite me. I don't have "The Cosmos Rocks"......(yet...)  I found him to be out of sync with the Queen sound. Too much wanting to do his own thing with his own style and that turned me off. Queen needs to reincarnate Freddie with someone who brings Freddie's style and dynamic vocal range. I know that Freddie is irreplaceable, but come on, what's so bad about bringing someone on board who can spark that Bulsara magic once again?  I think we're overdue for the biggest Queen comeback ever. I know it's coming........( at least I'm hoping).

and on, and on........till the end of time.
cacatua

Posted: 25 Aug 09, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pleased to meet you! I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few newer members and I don't know if that is the norm here or if it is a recent phenomenon. My husband likes Queen very well, but not to the exclusion of others, so I'm quite happy that he doesn't go along on my trips to see Dad, so I can blast Queen for 3 hours or so on the road without feeling guilty! [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]

Paul Rodgers was a totally unknown quantity for me. I think the "Queen" part ruffles a lot of feathers, but I liked Brian's explanation.

Thanks for stopping by. I didn't know if anyone else would want to "confess" or not.

shazamrock user not visiting Queenzone.com
shazamrock

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 01:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alright, I'll bite.

I'm a 30 year-old chick from Chicago, where I teach college writing courses, edit an online arts magazine, and quietly whine about not having enough time to work on my own writing/audio projects.

I've always been much more of a modern/alternative/indie rock fan than a classic rock fan, although I grew up listening to quite a bit of classic and progressive rock via my rock-loving mom (although hardly any Queen).  I'm just a music junkie in general.

Oddly enough, just like Cacatua, Adam Lambert reignited my interest in classic rock (and guyliner) over the course of last season's American Idol, and Brian & Roger's surprise appearance on the finale made me go, "Hey, I forgot about those guys!"

So back in May I dusted off my copy of Greatest Hits I and got hooked--hooked like I am on only a few things (e.g., Clint Eastwood, Illini basketball, crystal meth)--thus kicking off my own personal Summer of Queen '09. 

I'm the kind of person that, when I take a real interest in something, I want to know absolutely everything about it.  So that led me to a massive album- and DVD-buying spree, several hours in front of YouTube, and lots of web "research".  In all of that surfing, somehow Brian's website and this place rose to the top as sites I check in with regularly.

Just kidding about the crystal meth.

As for why I keep coming back here, I don't quite know.  Sure, its obnoxious, rowdy, and riddled with grammatical errors, but there are also some really knowledgeable folks here, and I've learned a lot as I've "discovered" different albums, songs, videos, clips, interviews, histories, etc.  For example, I've learned that I should really keep the fact that I actually love "The Invisible Man" to myself.  (That won't stop me, but it's good to know.)

Angeline user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm 23 year old lawyer (eek, don't say anything) I live in London but I'm originally from Ireland.  I was completely obsessed with Queen from the ages of 11 - 15 but then got into other and what I considered at the time 'cooler' music like the Cure, Nirvana, the Smiths, Velvet Underground, Bowie etc.

Strangely at a particularly stressful point just before I qualified this year, around March, I listened to News Of The World at a friend's house (who I discovered also knew a lot about Queen when they knew who 'Farokh' was) and that reignited my interest, so I put all my studio and live albums onto my ipod and finally read Jim Hutton's book (Im so glad I didn't read that when I was 12!) and re-read Phoebe's (which, incidently I would defend his reasons for writing).

I came across QZ via google and joined. This was something I thought I'd never do, I mean seriously, an internet forum!  However, some of the discussions were so interesting, and some were so infuriating that I couldn't resist.

So, pleased to meet you...

cacatua

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it can be a hassle here. I've about had it with Erick. It's up to him to "Keep Himself Alive" now. One can only do so much. And why do they beat up on Queen Archivist so much? Is it because he represents the "establishment"? I do sort of enjoy the fact that people speak their minds plainly here rather than walking around on eggshells, as long as it doesn't hijack the topic too far away from where it began. Even Brian gets to effing this and that at his soapbox.

I did try to join Queen Online too after a while but after registering, they never activated my account and all emails I sent to inquire about it were refused by their server. There are some problems here too, but Queen Online forums seem to be dysfunctional.

Although Adam Lambert was the catalyst that got me here, and I would like to see he and Queen, or Brian and Roger, get together at least for a concert, with DVD to follow, I find that my main interest is in Queen now. Some of the words connected with Adam's album, like "electronic pop-rock", make me a little queasy. Don't know quite what to expect from Adam's album, as he has so much coming at him right now.

I too really go off the deep end when I am interested in something, so I have been acquiring everything I can as quickly as I can afford to do it. I even just finished engraving myself a brass Queen keychain with Freddie on one side and his Queen logo on the other. That's the first thing that has gotten me to sit down and engrave anything for a couple-three years! 

Well, I guess I'd better get ready for my trip over to see Dad. I'll be taking The Cosmos Rocks and Innuendo along to listen to on the way over and back as they are my two latest CD's.

Thanks for checking in!

Through the eons... user not visiting Queenzone.com
Through the eons...
Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A pleasure meeting all of you.

and on, and on........till the end of time.
PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey... i'm not so new here but.... my name is Paulo Panucci... i'm 14... i live in Brazil, i'm studying, i play guitar and a litle of piano...

my mother influence me to listen Queen... so...!

P.A
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenPaulo wrote:

i'm 14...

That explains a LOT.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Angeline wrote:

I'm 23 year old lawyer (eek, don't say anything) I live in London but I'm originally from Ireland. 

Cool.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cacatua wrote:

And why do they beat up on Queen Archivist so much?

If you ever care to wander through his old threads, you'll soon see that he's conducted himself in the poorest manner possible.  (shrugs)  Truth be told though it's been a while since he's really lost it.  I guess for some people the damage is done.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Angeline user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cacatua -

I LOVE Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones is one of my favourite albums.  And nice thread by the way.

lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like to visit this site because of all the nice people XP

papp
PauloPanucci

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

QueenPaulo wrote:

i'm 14...

That explains a LOT.

explains what?

P.A
Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok....I´m not new at all here..I became a Queenzone member..I think back in 2005 or 2006...I´m 30, and I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, a huge... really big Queen fan´s country.
I think every day new people discovers Queen,,,and surfing the net is impossible not to get till this great site, eventough you can find nice, polite o rude people in the forum (as real life) I think this place gives us all a space to share and discuss...new fans are hungry for info, as we all were back in those days in wich we became fans as well, at the very 90´s beginning,  in my case.
Before Internet, we have magazines, discs, cassettes, compact disc, books, tv programs, and fan clubs, nowadays, we have all that on the web..it´s so easy...but can be boring sometimes.
Good music will be always remembered, but divine and amazing music is everyday kept alive!

Cheers to Queenzone, Cheers to you, Cheers to Queen!

cacatua

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenPaulo wrote:

hey... i'm not so new here but.... my name is Paulo Panucci... i'm 14... i live in Brazil, i'm studying, i play guitar and a litle of piano...

I think you arrived about the same time I did, but you have been very busy posting! I like your avatar. Where did you find it?

doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very interesting thread. I'm old as dirt and have been here for years in one form or another, but I love hearing how people came to be interested enough in the band to be active in this forum.

Keep posting - I'm still waiting for the person that days "The Cosmos Rocks knocked me on my ass and I figured I'd learn more about this band!"

cacatua

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

cacatua wrote:

And why do they beat up on Queen Archivist so much?

If you ever care to wander through his old threads, you'll soon see that he's conducted himself in the poorest manner possible.  (shrugs)  Truth be told though it's been a while since he's really lost it.  I guess for some people the damage is done.

Oh, well thanks for clearing that up. I've been working my way through Brian's Soapbox archives. I'm up to '08 now. I sort of breezed past a lot of the cosmic stuff. Sorry Brian. I have found some cool bits of history and some explanations there, like the one I posted in the beginning of this thread about working with Paul Rodgers on new stuff, which is why I got The Cosmos Rocks and was able to listen to it with a fairly open mind. I heard it almost 3 times over today on the road. It certainly isn't Queen as we knew it, but as I was not expecting that anyway, I liked it for the most part. I won't elaborate here though as there is another thread for that.

I have also tried to use the "Search" feature here instead of asking stupid repetative questions recently too!

BTW Zebonka12, I'd be happy to hear as well from any of you Oldtimers who might not be opposed to "coming
out".

papp
PauloPanucci

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cacatua wrote:

QueenPaulo wrote:

I think you arrived about the same time I did, but you have been very busy posting! I like your avatar. Where did you find it?

hey... my avatar i found on google... go in images and put "caricatura brian may" and you'll find it in the 1st page... i'll not upload to u because i'm with a problem here in pc and i can't upload it!

P.A
cacatua

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Angeline wrote:

Cacatua -

I LOVE Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones is one of my favourite albums.  And nice thread by the way.

He's a real case isn't he? It's just so annoying that he won't do any videos though because his performances are priceless. We have a vhs tape of him when he did Austin City Limits on PBS years ago that we taped, and when this tape deck croaks, that will likely be the end of watching it.