Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen one of the Most Overrated Artits Ever

forum rss feed
Author

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On MSN website, Queen are among Oasis, The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Elvis for the Most Overrated Artists Ever.

Queen have been a major Rock Band for Many Years, since 1971 and have released 15 studio Albums. They are credited for selling over 300 million albums Worldwide, the best selling UK Single, Best Selling album in the UK and best live performance ever.

They are also noted for their unique style from Heavy Metal, to Opera, Ragtime to Funk, Arena Rock to Fantasy Heavy Progressive Rock from Queen II.

However the quote to why Queen is so overrated as follows:

"Music for People who have no interest in music. They are a novelty act in my eyes.....gimmicky tunes/lyrics. Terrible hair/tash, dreadful clothes.....and they have the best selling LP in Britain ever LOL....The Great British Public, Don't you just love em?

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/music/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=1493495151&imageindex=12

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Music for People who have no interest in music. They are a novelty act in my eyes.....gimmicky tunes/lyrics. Terrible hair/tash, dreadful clothes...

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/music/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=1493495151&imageindex=12

they didn't take it easy!!!

P.A
peterkoz1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

typical yankee journalists they never liked us since we blew them away with another on bites the dust but they bum lick anything thats Irish !!

hi freddie
Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I clicked on the link and there's no mention of Queen on "Music's Most Overrated".

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This place is like a bad episode of Lost....

Arse.

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marknow wrote:

This place is like a bad episode of Lost....

yeah... great comparation!

P.A
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who wrote this piece of garbage?

¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People are entitled to their opinions. Record sales and concert attendance speak for themselves. There are artists I think are overrated, but I won't knock them for their success if they worked hard, built up a fan-base and maintain it.

Examples of artists I think are overrated (or overblown):

U2 (they're decent, but their last few albums have left me cold...Unforgettable Fire...Joshua Tree...R&H...and Achtung, Baby were a stretch of great works, but then I've never been a hardcore fan)

Carlos Santana (everyone I talk to seems to think he's some guitar god, but I don't hear it. He's no BM, he's no Mike Oldfield, who I think could plec circles around him)

Coldplay (they just sound so vanilla to me...like Oasis years ago, it's en vogue to love Coldplay).

The White Strips (I hear a WS song and I get to urge to listen to Zeppelin or Queen or whomever WS chose to sound like on that single. Why do they sound like everyone else? I couldn't name you a WS song if my life depended on it [no, seriously]. Someone has to tell me "What you're hearing is The White Strips, dude.")

All this is just my personal opinion. Like whatever you want, or not, it all balances out on the end.

doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

peterkoz1 wrote:

typical yankee journalists they never liked us since we blew them away with another on bites the dust but they bum lick anything thats Irish !!

Not true. We Yanks loved Boyzone, Spice Girls and Take 5, and we... oh wait, that was you Brits that ate that shit up! ;)

Seriously, I can see where Queen can polarize music fans. If you don't have sense of humor about music, plenty of what Queen presented can be hard to swallow (no pun intended). In the end, all that matters is what you like and not what the majority decides.

jonqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Piss on the critic! I am a yankee (American), and I know what good music is!

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't see any article to speak of, just thumbnails, and Queen wasn't among them. ??

Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree about Elvis.
His only talent was being a good performer. He wasn't such a great singer, but had a distinctive voice. Come to think of it, he was the perfect white package RCA was looking for to sell black music.

Oasis definitely overrated. I'm surprised U2 and Coldplay are not mentioned.
I would throw Radiohead there as well, given that they could produced the weirdest souless music but they still get praised for everything they do, and this comes from someone who likes Radiohead.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me think...

the author of the article probably thinks  U2 is the best band ever!

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elvis was, as Neil Peart once described, a divine windchime. He did not create the music or write the songs, but in performing it, he made it something greater than most other performers could. He existed at a time when many artists performed songs written and arranged by other people (professionals songwiters were the norm, were widely used and their songs performed by many different artists). There was a massive increase in the popularity of "black" music at the time, by way of jazz, gospel and blues. Black artists were making hits and mainstream record companies gladly had white artist record those song in an attempt to capitalize. But it wasn't that clear cut. White teens in the fifties often preferred the originals. Elvis grew up in the South and was impued with a love of blues and gospel. He didn't rip off black artists, he simply sang the songs he loved, better than most people, and did what everyone was doing (singing the same songs). As a performer, he was the first great natural showman, and every frontman since (Freddie, Bono, whomever) can thank him for setting the standard. In the fifties, it was par for the course to stand politely at the microphone (or sit on the stool) and sing. Elvis shook his hips and danced around and *that* was shocking and new. His record companies and management made Elvis Presley a commodity and a household name, but he could back up the hype with his ability to sing and peform.

I'm not even a big Elvis fan, but he is the King of Rock & Roll for a reason, the same way Michael Jackson is the King of Pop for a reason: timing, talent and good publicity.

That Crazy Diamond user not visiting Queenzone.com
That Crazy Diamond
Rocker: 25 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

here, you posted the wrong link http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/music/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=149349151>1=61501

Anyway, calling The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Queen overrated is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. I can understand that some people don't like them but what they have written about them proves that there idea of music is probably along the lines of Vanilla Ice. Gosh some people are ridiculous assholes.

Oh and Freddie's clothes/tache/hair are fucking awesome.

Queen <3
whitequeen2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 09, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What ever. We all know that Queen is the very best of the best. Always has been and always will be. Now I've been around awhile to give listen to most of the popular bands that have come into view. With 4-four musical geneniouses I can not listen to any other band.
Freddie, John, Brian and Roger simply wrote masterpieces and others pale in comparison.
Just my opinion, that's all.

Louise
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 09, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

Elvis was, as Neil Peart once described, a divine windchime. He did not create the music or write the songs, but in performing it, he made it something greater than most other performers could. He existed at a time when many artists performed songs written and arranged by other people (professionals songwiters were the norm, were widely used and their songs performed by many different artists). There was a massive increase in the popularity of "black" music at the time, by way of jazz, gospel and blues. Black artists were making hits and mainstream record companies gladly had white artist record those song in an attempt to capitalize. But it wasn't that clear cut. White teens in the fifties often preferred the originals. Elvis grew up in the South and was impued with a love of blues and gospel. He didn't rip off black artists, he simply sang the songs he loved, better than most people, and did what everyone was doing (singing the same songs). As a performer, he was the first great natural showman, and every frontman since (Freddie, Bono, whomever) can thank him for setting the standard. In the fifties, it was par for the course to stand politely at the microphone (or sit on the stool) and sing. Elvis shook his hips and danced around and *that* was shocking and new. His record companies and management made Elvis Presley a commodity and a household name, but he could back up the hype with his ability to sing and peform.

I'm not even a big Elvis fan, but he is the King of Rock & Roll for a reason, the same way Michael Jackson is the King of Pop for a reason: timing, talent and good publicity.

I'm not a big elvis guy either, and I also don't think his version of those songs are any better than the originals, (musically) but to say he was overated is not true. The man was truly a great singer, and like freddie could sing a wide range of music. country, gospel, rock,  that's what makes a singer great.  He's obviously the best performer in rock history.  What does piss me off a little is that the beatles, and elvis, the stones got rich playing black music (the true genious) but these genious musicians died piss poor.  I'v been listening too the blues lately, guys like howlin wolf, muddy waters. Those cats were truly brilliant for their time. Dare I say it, even more brilliant than the beatles.

shazamrock user not visiting Queenzone.com
shazamrock

Posted: 27 Aug 09, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

What does piss me off a little is that the beatles, and elvis, the stones got rich playing black music (the true genious) but these poor genious musician died piss poor.  I'v been listening too the blues lately, guys like howlin wolf, muddy waters. Those cats were truly brilliant for their time. Dare I say it, even more brilliant than the beatles.

Amen. 

And I love me some Chicago blues.  Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters... Buddy Guy... Otis Rush...

Angeline user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 09, 04:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Muddy Waters is UNBELIEVABLE.

Have you ever listened to Odetta?

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 09, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Odetta?...havn't heard that one.