Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 39 Brian's Voice

forum rss feed
Author

Angeline user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me preface this with I LOVE Brian, and his voice.  Sail Away Swet Sister and Good Company suit his voice beautifully

BUT
  I really prefer Freddie's voice on 39 (live versions great example) ad wish it had been that way on the album - it makes the song more, I don't know present.

Any one agree? Or strongly disagree?

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Strongly disagree.  Brian's voice is perfect for the wistfulness of '39, respect your thoughts though!

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm the opposite, I think brians voice fits 39 perfectly, though I do like freddie's live version also,  but think freddie should have sang good company.  The reason why some people don't like good company (I think it's brilliant) is because it's surrounded by the brilliant vocals of the prophet song, love of my life and of course Bo rhap.  Freddie could have added so much to good company.

Queen On Ice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ice Cold
Queen On Ice
Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the Live Killers version with Fred on vox sure BUT

Those nine Brian fronted Queen songs for me are a superb mini compilation. My range is the same as Brian's so I love singing along to them, and they all have a very special 'feel' to them - not just because of the styles or the music but because of Brian's truly HONEST vocals. He was unsure of his voice and it showed - which is by far to the benefit of each of the songs.

I would have loved to have seen MORE vocals from Brian during the 70s and early 80s.

If you're searching out for something,

Don't try do hard.

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You see, I love Brian on Good Company - I can't imagine Freddie singing it - I wish they'd done a live version as that's an interesting point.

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with the comment "more modern"  I think it had a better chance of being a hit with freddie singing for sure.

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian suits the song perfectly. He's soft voice very presicely shows the story, a kind of folk legend, a myth. That kind of fantastic things. I like all the songs that he sang, just the way he have done it. Except "Too Much Love Will Kill You"- I think Freddie sang it better. Though the version from Tribute concert is very nice and poignant.
"Good Company"- how can somebody not like it?!

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The way that that song was recorded in the studio suited Brian's voice as Brian's voice is fairly brittle.Whereas Freddie had a particularly strong voice.Might have been too strong for '39 in the studio.And subsequently Good Company too.I also would have liked to hear them playing Good Company live on stage.But this may have proved to be a logistical nightmare.How would they have replicated the brass band sounds other than have a brass band play the backing music themselves.And who would they have.Brian always said that he was influenced by a band called the Temperence 7 for this song.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Dr May's voice on '39. But I think Freddie's backing vocals there are magnificent.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Brian's voice on '39, but i know people who can't stand it.  I like Freddie's voice on it too, but prefer Brian's.  But I listened to Brian's so much for so long, that when i got the 'Freddie' version  not too long ago, I've been listening to that more.  I wish there was a recording of Freddie singing Good Company too though, i love Brian singing it, it sounds very true and genuine with his voice, like a real story, but I would love to hear how Freddie would have interpreted it.

iiiibrahiiim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't it Roger singing the backing vocals?

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 09, 14:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was no brass band on Good Company - that was all Brian's guitar. He created each instrument's part on guitar and put them all together. It is one of may favorite things about the song! I imagine how challenging that was and how much fun he must have had doing it.

I prefer Brian's voice on both songs too.

Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 09, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree!

I enjoy Freddie's voice on " '39 " , and I like the "Oh yeah" he did on "I'm in Love with my Car" on stage.

But as you said, Brian's voice really suits many of the other songs he wrote.
I think my favorite song with Brian singing is "She Makes Me" - it's a fantastic song which really has grown on me.

...and my favorite song by Roger is "Drowse".

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 09, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cacatua wrote:

There was no brass band on Good Company - that was all Brian's guitar. He created each instrument's part on guitar and put them all together. It is one of may favorite things about the song! I imagine how challenging that was and how much fun he must have had doing it.

Bo Rhap did not say that there was a brass band on Good Company. All he said was for Brian and Queen to play that song live on stage, they would have needed one to do it any justice.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 09, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I LOVE Brian's voice on '39. As a matter of fact, it has always made me wish he would do a folk album. I think it'd be an amazing listen!

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 09, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

cacatua wrote:

Bo Rhap did not say that there was a brass band on Good Company. All he said was for Brian and Queen to play that song live on stage, they would have needed one to do it any justice.

Oh, SORRY!!

Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 09, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iiiibrahiiim wrote:

Isn't it Roger singing the backing vocals?

No: it's Roger, Freddie and Brian. Just like England isn't the UK and a lung isn't a person.

Having said that, of course Roger's BV's there (both high and low) are phenomenal.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 01 Sep 09, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ITSM -

Drowse is my favourite Rog song, I recently read (I can't remember where) a review calling it 'boring' and 'much maligned' or something to that effect, which is crazy, it's a lovely understated song.

I also agree Brian has a good voice for folk.  I guess it's just that when I first heard ANATO (I was about 12) and for years after, 39 was a real filler song, then I grew to appreciate it's magnificence.  I mean i think it could have been a single if Freddie had sang.  But what I meant by 'present' was more forceful more encompassing than Brian's version which sounds literally like it's being sung from far away, which IS actually perfect for the song.  But Freddie's version is more readily accessible, if less subtle, and I like the spark and dynamism he brings.

Posted: 01 Sep 09, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drowse for me is nothing more than an ok track, my least favorite on races, as is most roger sung songs.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 09, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also disagree, Brian's vocals add so much to the song. I was really glad that he sang it completely in 2008 with the band.

Freddie sings it brilliant, but Brian really performs it, like a play as it were.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)