Bohemian: 119 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On http://www.queenonline.com/news/1439/

Excerpt from the press release:
"Double CD Special Edition
Comes with an extra CD featuring an audio commentary by Brian May and
Roger Taylor reminiscing about the songs on the album."

I know I should be grateful for the fact that Roger and Brian have taken the time to sit down and reminisce about the tracks - but I am sooooooo disappointed with this special edition I can not begin the express my feelings. A cd with talk? Just talk about music? Which means I'll probably listen to it once and then never play it again. How much detail can be explained if the reminiscing can last as long as the song does, at best?

I am really wondering who came up with this idea - it must be someone who has not been into a record store for a long, long time. So much possibilities - and this is what we get......

"If all else fails........ play dead."
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The audio commentary is the bait for the have-it-all hardcore fans who would not consider to buy the "Greatest" because they really bought all these songs various times already. Now they start thinking....

I do not want any google ads here.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 01:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

F*k them. There is nothing polite what could I say about this release. I was really hoping for a bonus live DVD.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thank god I don't buy everything with the queen name on it anymore.  Those days are over.  i'm sorry, but this release is truly a joke.

demonwolf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

some are just never happy, it is ridicilous.

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no, it´s not a matter of "never being happy", but ....

at least "someone" has thought a little bit on how this product could appeal to the "fans". The 2-cd version and the limited version including new pics, memorabillia, etc, are very good ideas ... but the problem is (almost) everybody was waiting (again) for new/unreleased audio content. And you all now what I mean: musical content. Studio or live material, it doesn´t matter now.

That said ... the 2nd disc featuring an audio commentary by Brian and Roger is disappointing, very disappointing given their previous audio commentaries, wich are, to date (and to me), really boring (QRM) and tending to critical (GVH) rather than informative and constructive.

And another question: what about the non english speaking fans (millions by the way) ?? an audio commentary in a DVD can be subtitled (the lack of subtitles in GVH1 will be always inexcusable) but ... in a CD ?? Will a transcription of the commentaries be included in the booklet? I really hope! If not ...yeah, I predict millionaire sales of the 2-cd edition in Japan, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal, Russia, China, Brazil, Argentina, Brazil, etc etc ... "secondary" countries where english (in the necessary level to understand an audio commentary by a native english) is not very "established" amongst population, I think.

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't look back .Don't look back. It's a rip-off !

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

demonwolf wrote:

some are just never happy, it is ridicilous.

Bulllshit.
The Milton Keynes 82 dvd and LP set made me very happy.
But that was about the last time Queen released a decent product.

"Absolute Greatest" is just a another release that's absolutely useless. Just like Greatest Hits 3, The Platinum Collection, Greatest Hits 1 + 2 boxed (gold), Stond Cold Classics, Queen Rocks, Greatest Kareoke Hits... and the list goes on.

Like Mike Hunt, I'm glad my days of "buying all that had the Queen logo on it" are long gone. I have shrinked my collection to all original vinyls, all original singles that were released with a picture sleeve (one item for each single in some kind of format, mostly 7") and some dvds and videos.
Enough is enough!!

I don't buy Queen products anymore unless they release something really special that's worth buying!

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 402 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The cover is terrible by the way. I hope the audio commentary is available for download coz I would buy that.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

The audio commentary is the bait for the have-it-all hardcore fans who would not consider to buy the "Greatest" because they really bought all these songs various times already. Now they start thinking....

Yep, they start thinking... about ways to get the hardcore fans to buy the same songs all over again with a minimal effort and without releasing any "new" material.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dunno, the LP set sounds rather nice...

Too bad the 52 page book isn't offered in this set.

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1058 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's hard to believe they're releasing a cd with just talk!

Maybe I can get the version where Brian and Roger teach you to speak Spanish and I can listen to it in the car.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a shame the 52 book isn't part of the LP set.
I was hoping to buy just the LP as I'm a vinyl collector and like the "large" sleeves.
Looks like I'll have to buy the deluxe CD set as well just to get the book - bloody rip-off merchants.

That said, and call me optimistic, but they're going all out with this release and it does rather look like they're starting to round things off...

prescott2811 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tbh Iam going to buy this because I love Queen.. An always will. regardless wat fans might complain bout it.. itss QUEEN for gods sake.. OUR band :D and we should always love them soo stop complaining..

I love the fact tha their is a 2nd disk with rog and bri.. :)
The only down I have about this is.. is
where is the track..Innundo??
I know it was number 1 and I spose they have put on it the songs that most ppl can remmber

Paul Prescott
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

prescott2811 wrote:

Tbh Iam going to buy this because I love Queen.. An always will. regardless wat fans might complain bout it.. itss QUEEN for gods sake.. OUR band :D and we should always love them soo stop complaining..

I love the fact tha their is a 2nd disk with rog and bri.. :)
The only down I have about this is.. is
where is the track..Innundo??
I know it was number 1 and I spose they have put on it the songs that most ppl can remmber

Oh my god. "Text speak" :(
In 10 years time the English language will have changed beyond all belief.... (and for the worse)

PauloPanucci user not visiting Queenzone.com
papp
PauloPanucci
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

I was really hoping for a bonus live DVD.

me too...

P.A
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

20 live performances as in live tracks selected from the Wembley, Milton Keynes and Montreal releases?

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

20 live performances as in live tracks selected from the Wembley, Milton Keynes and Montreal releases?

*shrugs* More scary ideas, man...

I had a vision of the future!

Make way for "Queen Absolut Greatest LIVE!", a compilation of the best live versions of their tracks. (All of them, obviously, previously available on CD or DVD.)

But hey, it will surely include a booklet with pictures of Queen in concert, TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME!
(Which translates to "previously available elsewhere but never in the same book").

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

thank god I don't buy everything with the queen name on it anymore.  Those days are over.  i'm sorry, but this release is truly a joke. 

I hear ya! I just hope at least one of the tracks will be a more obscure single edit or something. Or maybe even a brand-new edit like "I'm In Love With My Car" on "Queen Rocks". Or at least one re-take. Just one.
And a commentary disc? Come on! 20 bucks says that it'll be a re-hash of the commentaries on GVH1 and GVH2...
V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Simon Brown user not visiting Queenzone.com
Simon Brown
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 09, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm, as for the live tracks in the book version -

3) Limited Edition Book version
Hardback 52 page A4 book
Includes:-
• The 20 track CD
• The audio commentary CD
• Previously unseen photos by Johnny Dewe Matthews, memorabilia, hand written lyrics
• Exclusive access to online streaming of 20 live performances

The word streaming doesn't thrill me.

Also, it would make perfect sense if they're live versions of the 20 songs on the disc. However, I wonder where Heaven For Everyone and The Show Must Go On are coming from.
I assume These Are The Days would be from Return Of The Champions, but I doubt they'd pick a Paul sung version of anything. If they're going down that path, they'd have to be from Roger's Cross or Solo shows, which would make me very happy.

I remain cautiously optimistic.