Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Heads Up: QPR Live In Ukraine in High Def on Sky Arts HD Next Week

forum rss feed
Author

KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess QP didn't want to advertise this so as not to affect DVd sales (and possible future Blu Ray sales)...

QPR Live in Ukrainne in Hd on Sky Arts 1 HD/SD next week.

http://uk-tv-guide.com/programme-details/Sky+Arts+1+HD/4+September+2009/20:55/Queen+and+Paul+Rodgers:+Let+The+Cosmos+Rock!/Documentary/


It's on 'Sky Anytime' now


Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



KevoM wrote:

I guess QP didn't want to advertise this so as not to affect DVd sales (and possible future Blu Ray sales)...




This might defeat your argument Kevo

http://www.brianmay.com/queen/queennews/queennewssep09a.html#05






"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Mr Mercury wrote:







KevoM wrote:



I guess QP didn't want to advertise this so as not to affect DVd sales (and possible future Blu Ray sales)...





This might defeat your argument Kevo

http://www.brianmay.com/queen/queennews/queennewssep09a.html#05




Fair dos, but nothing on Queen online

Also it's this week...today! not next week, my mistake.







brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 09, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you kidding?
The only thing that is affecting DVD sales is the lack of a Blu-Ray release.
They filmed it in HD, but they won't release in on Blu-Ray.
All the Queen fans that I know who have Blu Ray players refuse to buy the DVD out of principle!


KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 09, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



brians wig wrote:

Are you kidding?
The only thing that is affecting DVD sales is the lack of a Blu-Ray release.
They filmed it in HD, but they won't release in on Blu-Ray.
All the Queen fans that I know who have Blu Ray players refuse to buy the DVD out of principle!


Totall agree, but like i've said in another thread QPs business logic is out dated.  The're probably trying to maximize sales in delaying the realease of the BR version hoping that we will buy both !

btw, just watched it now on Sky Arts HD and it looked stunning in highdef, DD 5.1 ws ok.  It was also only on for an hour so only half the concert.






brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 09, 03:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anybody manage to record the HD version to an mkv file?

The BEST thing about the concert is that they left the picture alone - it was transmitted at 25fps at 50hz, which means it kept the "video" look, rather than having that bloody awful "film" look that so much modern TV has.

I've already emailed Brian asking him to release it on Blu-Ray like this and NOT 24fps at 60hz....

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 09, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



brians wig wrote:

Anybody manage to record the HD version to an mkv file?

The BEST thing about the concert is that they left the picture alone - it was transmitted at 25fps at 50hz, which means it kept the "video" look, rather than having that bloody awful "film" look that so much modern TV has.

I've already emailed Brian asking him to release it on Blu-Ray like this and NOT 24fps at 60hz....

I'm sure he's already all over such technical minutiae







Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 09, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought it was pants. I have very mixed feelings about QPR. I enjoyed seeing them live, but for some reason this was dull as dishwater. I also half-enjoyed TCR, and I have said I wouldn't mind another album. But watching Paul Rodgers ad lib his way here through Queen songs really pissed me off for some reason. I never listen to QPR bootlegs: the quality of performance doesn't seem to me to merit even the small amount of effort I'd have to make to download them. Weird.

I also don't think QPR deserves another live release. If they put as much efort into releasing Hyde Park 76 or Earl's Court 77 as they do releasing inferior QPR products, I'd be a happy man.

Won't be buying this, or the Absolute Greatest set. Queen productions have dropped the ball if they can't get Queen fans to buy their product.




"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 09, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seems exciting. I can't understand, for the life of me, why they don't release it in HD if it was already filmed this way!?

But that's a treat you had there. Great news.

I...well, let's say that I wasn't very fond of TCR and QPR, so to speak. But I did have fun going to the concert; and watching a concert from the same tour is amusing. I didn't mind buying it - but that does make me wonder: if it has been filmed in HD, why not doing, even if only a limited, though safer financially speaking, Blu-Ray release?  

I must say that I really disliked the footage of the previous releases of the Montreal gig. I really did. When the Blu-Ray came out, I started enjoying the concert even more than I did and now I do watch and listen to it a lot - so, at least for me, sound and image quality do matter a lot: watching traditional DVDs seems weird to me, I feel as if there were something lacking both sound- and imagewise. 

I'm speaking for myself. I don't pretend to speak on behalf of people of my age cohort any more than on behalf of all Queen fans, but am I the only person who gets excited about the possibilities offered by new technologies? Watching the "Montreal" Blu-Ray turned out to be a great experience - it's as close as I felt I could get to attending one of their gigs - the power of the sound, the wonderful image restored to the point of reproducing the texture of the lighting effects, all this made for a very nice and rewarding experience. 

----

As to Earls Court '77 and Hammersmith '75: to me it's a nonbrainer. It's obvious that it should be a double-DVD release because the latter runs for less than an hour, I guess: am I right? Technology has really improved to the point of enabling them to release both gigs in very good quality. The first DVD would feature the gig at Earls Court in 77 and the second disc the one at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1975, plus the extras and the interviews.

This would be a fulfilling, rewarding and interesting release, I guess. 

---

I won't buy the absolute greatest for the simple fact that I have the songs already. Yes, I'm always a bit affraid of comments on studio released material when the major creative force behind the band, and the major reason why people relate to Queen up to this day, isn't there anymore to speak for himself - it does get a bit annoying because there has been, unfortunately, an ugly battle of egos between the living and the dead. It's depressing in so many ways. But that's not the reason why I'm not buying the compilation - I'm not buying it for the simple, trivial fact that I have it all already. It's not out of spite. Besides, I don't need two identical versions of songs that I hate, just like Another One Bites The Dust!!! : -)))


Yara
Hitman1965 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hitman1965
Bohemian: 247 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 09, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The sky version was only a 60 minute highlights show - personally found it worth watching and recording. I may now be tempted to go out and buy the full version which I've resisted so far. 350000 attendance - very impressive; doesn't matter how you look at it.

Hope we still get to see the guys play live again at some point; irrespective of others comments I miss QPR and wished they'd not called it a day.

Grantcdn1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 104 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

couldn't find the DVD at Best Buy - has anyone seen it in North America....sold out maybe?

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Sep 09, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Grantcdn1 wrote:

couldn't find the DVD at Best Buy - has anyone seen it in North America....sold out maybe?

It must be...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9394666&st=Live+In+Ukraine&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=2009234

Not available for shipping [img=/images/smiley/msn/confused_smile.gif][/img]


Grantcdn1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 104 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Sep 09, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that was a link for the USA but I couldn't find one for Canada - was Canada left out of the North American release?